Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Quote from: omaghjoe on April 17, 2015, 03:59:14 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on April 16, 2015, 08:35:37 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 14, 2015, 11:32:26 PM
Ricky has taken to many blows to the head!

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/apr/14/floyd-mayweather-manny-pacquiao-amir-khan-superfight-ricky-hatton-world-title-las-vegas?CMP=share_btn_tw

*too

I decided to read that article for the craic because I actually think that Mayweather would suit Kahn, Mayweather hates the fast hands and doesn't have the knockout power that puts the fear of God up Kahn.

However when I got to this line...."Amir has never shied away from a challenge".....  I just shook my head andsaid "ah dear poor aul Ricky"

Why would you disagree with that? Khan has spent the last while chasing a fight with Mayweather but I don't think you could accuse him of ducking anyone, not even Brook. Prescott and Garcia were two fights he didn't have to take and he did.

nrico2006

Quote from: gallsman on April 17, 2015, 07:14:25 AM

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/apr/14/floyd-mayweather-manny-pacquiao-amir-khan-superfight-ricky-hatton-world-title-las-vegas?CMP=share_btn_tw

*too

I decided to read that article for the craic because I actually think that Mayweather would suit Kahn, Mayweather hates the fast hands and doesn't have the knockout power that puts the fear of God up Kahn.

However when I got to this line...."Amir has never shied away from a challenge".....  I just shook my head andsaid "ah dear poor aul Ricky"

Why would you disagree with that? Khan has spent the last while chasing a fight with Mayweather but I don't think you could accuse him of ducking anyone, not even Brook. Prescott and Garcia were two fights he didn't have to take and he did.

Of course he has ducked certain fights, why did he never try and avenge any of his defeats?  Why would he pick a man (just after being humiliated) instead of taking up the offer to have a huge fight in his home country for a world title?  Why fight Algieri instead of Thurman or Broner who both wanted to fight him?  Khan chasing Mayweather isn't proof of anything, Mayweather doesn't frighten the life out of opponents in the way that someone like GGG does? 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

gallsman

Quote from: nrico2006 on April 17, 2015, 08:18:28 AM

*too

Of course he has ducked certain fights, why did he never try and avenge any of his defeats?  Why would he pick a man (just after being humiliated) instead of taking up the offer to have a huge fight in his home country for a world title?  Why fight Algieri instead of Thurman or Broner who both wanted to fight him?  Khan chasing Mayweather isn't proof of anything, Mayweather doesn't frighten the life out of opponents in the way that someone like GGG does?

Do you think Khan cares one iota about whether or not people get to see him fight who they think he should? He's a prizefighter and chases money. Nothing else. That means Mayweather.

nrico2006

Quote from: gallsman on April 17, 2015, 09:47:18 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on April 17, 2015, 08:18:28 AM

*too

Do you think Khan cares one iota about whether or not people get to see him fight who they think he should? He's a prizefighter and chases money. Nothing else. That means Mayweather.

That's correct, hence why he has avoided the tougher fighters out there thus far in his career.  His opponents are usually low risk ones and ultimately he sees the Mayweather fights as his big pay day and I imagine doesn't want to fight Brook now incase he loses and will then be completely out of the running to face Mayweather. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

gallsman

As I said, I disagree with that entirely. Prescott, Maidana, Peterson (in DC, Peterson's hometown) and Garcia were all fights he could have ducked for one reason or another and dissent. Khan is a seriously tough bugger, often to his own detriment.

Brook's record doesn't have half the names on it that Khan's does. Unless there's an enormous payday in it for Khan (a la Froch-Grobes at Wembley), then I can understand why he doesn't have that much interest in the fight.

TF15

Khan should have fought Brook right now but I get the feeling he doesn't want to give Eddie Hearn the payday and have him dictate to him. Quite similar to Frampton. Plus if he loses it leaves him with nowhere to go. Broner fight couldn't be made as Broner wouldn't fight above 143, even though he mouthed off that it would be at 147. Khan would school Broner at 147. Bradley I can't see Khan ducking either as stylistically its a good fight for him, I think the biggest hindrance on his career is his religious beliefs which cause him to fast over the Ramadan period in late summer every year. Means he can't fight after May/early June to November as he has to replenish his body of the weight/strength he loses during the fasting period.

Brook v Gavin is a poor fight. Hearn is talking like Brandon Rios in the summer is a mega fight, he's won a world title at 135. Algieri is a disappointing fight also but at least he's won a title at 140, one weight class below the fighting weight.

This summer Eddie Hearn promised Khan v Brook, Frampton v Quigg and Groves v DeGale, we're getting none of them. Will anyone buy the PPV card at the 02 which Brook and Gavin are headlining? It's a good card but never a PPV. I'll not be buying. It sets a dangerous precedent for what is construed as PPV if Bellew v Cleverly and now this card are deemed PPV.

I'll be buying May 2nd though, can't wait!

Matthyse v Provodnikov this weekend should be a great fight.  Matthyse should win but if he get's dragged into a complete tear up I wouldn't bet against Provodnikov who would remind you of an Eastern European Rocky with his face first fighting style. 

nrico2006

Quote from: gallsman on April 17, 2015, 11:01:54 AM
As I said, I disagree with that entirely. Prescott, Maidana, Peterson (in DC, Peterson's hometown) and Garcia were all fights he could have ducked for one reason or another and dissent. Khan is a seriously tough bugger, often to his own stringent.

Brook's record doesn't have half the names on it that Khan's does. Unless there's an enormous payday in it for Khan (a la Froch-Grobes at Wembley), then I can understand why he doesn't have that much interest in the fight.

There would be a pretty big pay day in a fight with Brook plus a world title.  Peterson and Garcia didn't carry fearsome reputations before fighting Khan, both haven't a high knock out percentage and he was seen as the favourite for both fights.  Prescott was seen as a 'B' level fighter with a KO record stacked up with victories over pretty average journeymen boxers prior to fighting Khan. 

nrico2006

Quote from: TF15 on April 17, 2015, 12:00:50 PM
Khan should have fought Brook right now but I get the feeling he doesn't want to give Eddie Hearn the payday and have him dictate to him. Quite similar to Frampton. Plus if he loses it leaves him with nowhere to go. Broner fight couldn't be made as Broner wouldn't fight above 143, even though he mouthed off that it would be at 147. Khan would school Broner at 147. Bradley I can't see Khan ducking either as stylistically its a good fight for him, I think the biggest hindrance on his career is his religious beliefs which cause him to fast over the Ramadan period in late summer every year. Means he can't fight after May/early June to November as he has to replenish his body of the weight/strength he loses during the fasting period.

Brook v Gavin is a poor fight. Hearn is talking like Brandon Rios in the summer is a mega fight, he's won a world title at 135. Algieri is a disappointing fight also but at least he's won a title at 140, one weight class below the fighting weight.

This summer Eddie Hearn promised Khan v Brook, Frampton v Quigg and Groves v DeGale, we're getting none of them. Will anyone buy the PPV card at the 02 which Brook and Gavin are headlining? It's a good card but never a PPV. I'll not be buying. It sets a dangerous precedent for what is construed as PPV if Bellew v Cleverly and now this card are deemed PPV.

I'll be buying May 2nd though, can't wait!

Matthyse v Provodnikov this weekend should be a great fight.  Matthyse should win but if he get's dragged into a complete tear up I wouldn't bet against Provodnikov who would remind you of an Eastern European Rocky with his face first fighting style.

The Bellew Cleverly fight set a new low with regard to the threshold for a PPV fight, and as you say the Gavin Brook one should not be anywhere near that either.  I am definitely buying the May 2nd fight, not taking the risk on stop starting buffering issues with Modbro or the like. 

gallsman

Quote from: nrico2006 on April 17, 2015, 12:05:08 PM
As I said, I disagree with that entirely. Prescott, Maidana, Peterson (in DC, Peterson's hometown) and Garcia were all fights he could have ducked for one reason or another and dissent. Khan is a seriously tough bugger, often to his own stringent.

There would be a pretty big pay day in a fight with Brook plus a world title.  Peterson and Garcia didn't carry fearsome reputations before fighting Khan, both haven't a high knock out percentage and he was seen as the favourite for both fights.  Prescott was seen as a 'B' level fighter with a KO record stacked up with victories over pretty average journeymen boxers prior to fighting Khan.

Prescott was seen as an absolute knockout artist, dangerous for anyone who he caught. There was very little upside in that fight at that stage of his career for Khan but he took it anyway. Garcia carried plenty of reputation as a relatively crude puncher and Khan was utterly schooling him until he got caught. Then he got the rush of blood he always does and stood there trading punches with a guy renowned for his power, just like against Maidana except this was in the 4th rather than 12th round. Garcia has subsequently gone on to show himself as a more than capable fighter. Peterson fight (where he was drugged up and Khan was robbed anyway) was not seen as particularly dangerous, but Khan went to his hometown to take him on and ended up paying for it.

At best, currently Khan-Brook could sell out the o2 and there'll be a few million in it for either of them. Froch got 8m as far as I recall for the rematch with Groves and Khan-Brook would be nowhere near that level. For whatever reason, Khan sees himself as someone worthy of eight figure pay days. In that respect, fighting in the States and biding his time until Mayweather or Pacquiao give him a shot is perhaps understandable. Khan might be better off fighting the likes of Brook but the suggestion that he's ducking him is ridiculous in my opinion. As for the world title, at welter, belts are pretty meaningless. Floyd is champ and that's the end of it.

His best options in my book (he doesn't deserve Mayweather or Pac) would be a Garcia rematch or Thurman. I think Khan schools Broner all day long.

omaghjoe

Quote from: gallsman on April 17, 2015, 01:47:27 PM

Prescott was seen as an absolute knockout artist, dangerous for anyone who he caught. There was very little upside in that fight at that stage of his career for Khan but he took it anyway. Garcia carried plenty of reputation as a relatively crude puncher and Khan was utterly schooling him until he got caught. Then he got the rush of blood he always does and stood there trading punches with a guy renowned for his power, just like against Maidana except this was in the 4th rather than 12th round. Garcia has subsequently gone on to show himself as a more than capable fighter. Peterson fight (where he was drugged up and Khan was robbed anyway) was not seen as particularly dangerous, but Khan went to his hometown to take him on and ended up paying for it.

At best, currently Khan-Brook could sell out the o2 and there'll be a few million in it for either of them. Froch got 8m as far as I recall for the rematch with Groves and Khan-Brook would be nowhere near that level. For whatever reason, Khan sees himself as someone worthy of eight figure pay days. In that respect, fighting in the States and biding his time until Mayweather or Pacquiao give him a shot is perhaps understandable. Khan might be better off fighting the likes of Brook but the suggestion that he's ducking him is ridiculous in my opinion. As for the world title, at welter, belts are pretty meaningless. Floyd is champ and that's the end of it.

His best options in my book (he doesn't deserve Mayweather or Pac) would be a Garcia rematch or Thurman. I think Khan schools Broner all day long.

I think nrico covered the point well enuff without me going over it again.
Broner would be a good fight for Kahn to take similar style to Mayweather and and all that and if he beat him he would be in an even better position to call him out.

I also completely agree that he sees himself as a $10m fighter just by cringely appearing ringside at all those big fights, but he doesn't back it up inside the ring. The Maidana fight was a great example of his limitations won the fight with great skill but all anyone remembers about it is Kahn getting beat around the ring in r10, one of the worse beatings i seen without a knockdown.

Great skill and great hands but glass jaw
Spike Sullivan called out GGG FFS it doesnt mean didley.

BennyHarp

Quote from: omaghjoe on April 18, 2015, 05:04:22 AM

Broner would be a good fight for Kahn to take similar style to Mayweather and and all that and if he beat him he would be in an even better position to call him out.

I also completely agree that he sees himself as a $10m fighter just by cringely appearing ringside at all those big fights, but he doesn't back it up inside the ring. The Maidana fight was a great example of his limitations won the fight with great skill but all anyone remembers about it is Kahn getting beat around the ring in r10, one of the worse beatings i seen without a knockdown.

What's the story with this guy?  Was given the opportunity to fight Eubank Jr after calling him out for over a year then pulls out saying he wasn't getting enough money.

On Khan, rightly or wrongly, he sees himself as the man next in line to face Mayweather or Pacman. A loss to Brook will completely scupper that. Is it worth the risk, given the fact that the Brook fight will always be there even if he loses a fight in the states? Im no fan of Khan but to say he has a glass jaw after commenting that he took the biggest beating round a ring you'd ever seen, without going down, seems a bit of a contradiction to me.
That was never a square ball!!

omaghjoe

Quote from: BennyHarp on April 18, 2015, 07:30:26 AM
Quote from: omaghjoe on April 18, 2015, 05:04:22 AM

What's the story with this guy?  Was given the opportunity to fight Eubank Jr after calling him out for over a year then pulls out saying he wasn't getting enough money.

On Khan, rightly or wrongly, he sees 8*himself as the man next in line to face Mayweather or Pacman. A loss to Brook will completely scupper that. Is it worth the risk, given the fact that the Brook fight will always be there even if he loses a fight in the states? Im no fan of Khan but to say he has a glass jaw after commenting that he took the biggest beating round a ring you'd ever seen, without going down, seems a bit of a contradiction to me.

Dunno much bout ole Spike TBF

Yeah it does seem to be a bit of a contradiction but it all started with one punch that left him out on his feet, how he didn't go down I'll never know. Not sure if it was Kahn heart (which he has lots of BTW) or Maidana following it up with obvious hay makers and not thinking thru how to finish it.

JoG2

Anyone know where the Mayweather and Pacquiao pre fight shows can be streamed online? Thanks

DennistheMenace

Quote from: JoG2 on April 23, 2015, 08:39:40 PM
Anyone know where the Mayweather and Pacquiao pre fight shows can be streamed online? Thanks

Are they not available on Youtube?

JoG2

Quote from: DennistheMenace on April 24, 2015, 11:11:53 AM
Quote from: JoG2 on April 23, 2015, 08:39:40 PM

Are they not available on Youtube?

yessir...watched the 'At Last' one last night, the HBO one. Would love to see Pacquiao take 'Money' down a peg or two