The Official Aston Villa supporters thread

Started by Doogie Browser, October 23, 2008, 10:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

?

maddog

Quote from: Doogie Browser on October 24, 2008, 10:29:38 AM
Quote from: maddog on October 24, 2008, 09:58:50 AM
As a Brummie resident have to say i would fall down on the Blue side of town, always found the Villa lot a strange bunch. Blues are more the peoples club. Not that i'd break sweat supporting them either.
I have to call you to book on that one maddog, Villa fans are strange? that is a load of tosh I have spent plenty of time in Birmingham over the years and any experiences of bluenoses have been very poor, but I suppose every supporter will feel that way about their rivals and to say the Blues are the peoples club?  Do me a favour, next you will be getting Elton John to re-work Candle in the Wind for the 'peoples prin.. sorry club'

Well in our office its about a 50/50 split and i just find the villa lot talking in the same breath as Liverpool Utd Arsenal etc, we are a big club bla bla bla. When they are going bad there is a no more fickle bunch. The Blues on the other hand dont seem to be as ready to shove a flag up your hole when the win a match (not that happens too much), just my observations.
Lots of guys i know have lost faith with the blues not for football reasons but for the way that club treats its fans in terms of ticket prices etc.

An Fear Rua

Quote from: maddog on October 24, 2008, 02:04:32 PM

Lots of guys i know have lost faith with the blues not for football reasons but for the way that club treats its fans in terms of ticket prices etc.

not just their own fans...........
Its Grim up North

Doogie Browser

Quote from: youbetterbelieveit on October 24, 2008, 02:02:42 PM
Doogie Browser , i am another long time suffering Villian, it is good to see them getting back to where they belong, have been a supporter since about 92' when the club had a big Irish contingent through the 90's Townsend, McGrath (Fav player), Houghton, Stauton etc..

Great result last night, should have killed that game off in the first half more, badly missed Carew.
Good stuff, McGrath was and is a legend and my all time favourite, closely followed by Bosko Balaban.   The Irish contingent really secured Villa a good fan base in Ireland since then, my connections to them are similar I suppose my Uncles all left Ireland in the 50's and thankfully they started to support the Villa and passed in on to us.

lurganblue

Quote from: youbetterbelieveit on October 24, 2008, 02:02:42 PM
Doogie Browser , i am another long time suffering Villian, it is good to see them getting back to where they belong, have been a supporter since about 92' when the club had a big Irish contingent through the 90's Townsend, McGrath (Fav player), Houghton, Stauton etc..

Great result last night, should have killed that game off in the first half more, badly missed Carew.

snap. i started supporting villa around 91 or so too when i was about 8 or 9. it certainly wasnt a fashionable decision lol

we play wigan this sunday then. i was fortunate enough to be at the last home game of the season last year against wigan.  They turned us over and effectively ended our chances of 5th spot. a bit of pay back on the cards me thinks...

lurganblue

good result for the villa today.  Good to see sidwell get in on the action as i feel he could be a real important player for us in the future

Doogie Browser

Six points from two tricky games is a job well done, the Wigan game was a massive result particularly the manner of it and the performance.

O'Neill handled the Carew situation brilliantly last week and benched him again last night, though I do think we are much better at 4-4-2 when he plays up front with Gabby.

It has been a great start to the season marred only by the early abberation at Stoke, that and Chelsea aside we have been great in the league to date.

Last night whilst not a great performance highlights that we can now win games when no where near our best (a trait a lot of the big teams have in abundance).

Three games in seven days and three wins scoring 8 goals tells all you need to know about O'Neill's philosophy for Villa.

Milner and Young dovetailed superbly last night and have so much pace which is a great asset at the top level.

Fourth position at this stage is better than we could have expected so hopefully we can maintain the momentum, Newcastle up next which 3 weeks ago I would have been so confident about but they too have a wee bit of a buzz now, still think we have too much for them though.

More importantly will be towards the middle of November when we play Man U and the Gooners in successive games, 4 points  would be an excellent but optimistic return from those.

Doogie Browser

A week of contrasting fortunes, Monday night was never going to be easy but nonetheless I was  dissapointed at the defeat, pure and simple a game we need to get something out of if we are to have any aspirations of breaking into the top you know what.

Tonight on the other hand showed all that is good about this squad, to have made 6 changes to the line up and play so well was excellent.  Slavia Prague were unbeaten in their new stadium until tonight.  Brad Guzan has shown that there is yet another brilliant yankee keeper at the club.  Sidwell had a great game alongside Salifou in the middle, they frustrated the Czechs all night and were so effective at pressing Slavia all night.
One more point and we have European football after Christmas for the first time in 10 years.

Oh and got my accum up tonight, Villa, Standard Liege, St Etienne & Spurs paid out about 15/1   ;)

anportmorforjfc

Doogie Browser

Quote from: anportmorforjfc on November 06, 2008, 09:55:57 PM
good win 2night but didnt deserve win
Dominated first half, rode our luck in second and defended resolutely all night, a typical European away win I would say.

aroundincircles

What is the chances of celtic drawing the Villa in next round of eufa cup.

Doogie Browser

Quote from: aroundincircles on November 06, 2008, 10:44:46 PM
What is the chances of celtic drawing the Villa in next round of eufa cup.
Slim now, remember Celtic still have a slim hope of 2nd spot but is unlikely I know. Anyway, if they finish 3rd in their group they progress to Uefa Cup last 32, the 8 CL entrants into Uefa cup are drawn against the 8 teams finishing 3rd in their UEFA cup groups.  As Villa are topping their group at this stage they should finish better than 3rd.

aroundincircles

aroundincircles

Where is final this year. That would be amazing if that happened. Would be funny to see the hoops play against marty oneill

aroundincircles

Just checked final in instanbull. Just took the edge of that then, Turkey not high on the list of places to go for a soccer game