Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mourne Red

Quote from: mourneman9194 on February 27, 2022, 12:16:47 PM
Who is the 4 kilcoo players on the squad?
Celi Doc, Bobo, Ryan McEvoy and Shealan Johnston I think Niblock said on commentary yesterday

Mourne Red

Quote from: TakeTheMark on February 27, 2022, 12:21:54 PM
Quote from: Mourne Red on February 27, 2022, 11:29:05 AM
Quote from: TakeTheMark on February 27, 2022, 11:02:51 AM
Some people on here need to have a word with themselves.

We've a Down team very much in rebuild mode, not helped with the farce of the delay in appointing a manager. They came up against a Roscommon side that many of you are saying "are hardly world beaters" but they've been in four Connacht finals in a row 2016-19, winning two of those in a province with very good Mayo and Galway sides, and had just dropped out of Division 1 last season. While that doesn't make them "world beaters", they are much more established as a team and further along in their progress.

How about some of you get behind the team for a change instead of waiting with the pitchforks?

Roscommon beat Mayo once in those years to reach the final every other year Galway beat Mayo and Mayo don't get going until late in the summer as demonstrated by their patchy form during those years in the qualifiers.. And both Ros/Gal shite themselves once they come up against any of the top 8/10 teams in the country so they aren't world beaters.

Also that's a Roscommon team on the wind down the majority of the team that ran Dublin close in the u21 near 10 years ago are touching or are over 30.

Everyone here has said it's Co Boards fault but if you can't criticise the performance after last nights display then some of you boys need to stop longing for the days of the Gestapo to control what people say and get with the real world

I don't even know how to respond to you. You tell us to "get with the real world" but its you that seems to be living on another planet.

To use your example and point, Roscommon got to U-21 finals in 2012 and again in 2014, and you correctly say the core of that team have stayed together (four from yesterday played in the 2012 final, and six from the 2014 final), and somehow you make out that a core team staying together is a detriment rather than a benefit?? Years of getting to know each others style of play? Besides the six from 2014 could only be 29 max, just saying.

I'm not going to respond to you any further as I will only entertain points from people that have clearly thought them out.

You've 5 posts on the board young pup and it's a discussion board - if you can't back your point up go back to the hoganstand.

They are on the wind down due to players peaks being over them - Intercounty football is a young man's game these days and 8-10 years of senior county football takes its toll on the body hence why I said they are on the way down

wobbller

We've a Down team very much in rebuild mode, not helped with the farce of the delay in appointing a manager. They came up against a Roscommon side that many of you are saying "are hardly world beaters" but they've been in four Connacht finals in a row 2016-19, winning two of those in a province with very good Mayo and Galway sides, and had just dropped out of Division 1 last season. While that doesn't make them "world beaters", they are much more established as a team and further along in their progress.

How about some of you get behind the team for a change instead of waiting with the pitchforks?
No pitch forks just opinions.As your a newbie,can I ask are you a panel member or a doting relative?

TakeTheMark

Do I need to post absolute nonsense 370 and 543 times for some unknown reason before I can voice an opinion?

Just because I try and take positives from this season given the circumstances I'm some sort of pariah?

I can very much tell you I am not a member of the panel, I am not a relative of any panel member nor I am a close friend of anyone on the panel. I simply choose to support the team instead of hiding behind a screen and attacking them.

Johnnysboys

Peter Fegan, Finn and Gilmore get 4/10 in recent ratings but Laverty gets 4.5 and only played a half - I think these ratings have had their day to be honest.
We were disappointing yesterday - we all agree on that but realistically the management (no matter how late they were appointed) would probably have been targeting the games v Clare and Offaly as winnable and then pick up a point or two with draws/win v Meath/Cork..
I don't think Roscommon would have been targeted. That's not to say we were just going to accept defeat or not do the necessary work to get the win but we would've needed a game of 90-100% and hope Roscommon played at 50-60% to get a result..
I think Niblick mentioned Ryan McEvoy, Doherty, Jerome and Kane as the 4 who joined up.
McEvoy won't be there right away either as he is taking time out first. 

Club fixtures are out this week apparently. Will division one clubs want to get into the top 4 or run the risk of the bottom 8 with 4 going down?? I'm hearing of a lot of emigration of players from various clubs which could have a major impact on their respective clubs. Oddly enough - no one from Kilcoo going anywhere!!!

SamFever

Quote from: Johnnysboys on February 27, 2022, 01:29:56 PM
Peter Fegan, Finn and Gilmore get 4/10 in recent ratings but Laverty gets 4.5 and only played a half - I think these ratings have had their day to be honest.
We were disappointing yesterday - we all agree on that but realistically the management (no matter how late they were appointed) would probably have been targeting the games v Clare and Offaly as winnable and then pick up a point or two with draws/win v Meath/Cork..
I don't think Roscommon would have been targeted. That's not to say we were just going to accept defeat or not do the necessary work to get the win but we would've needed a game of 90-100% and hope Roscommon played at 50-60% to get a result..
I think Niblick mentioned Ryan McEvoy, Doherty, Jerome and Kane as the 4 who joined up.
McEvoy won't be there right away either as he is taking time out first. 

Club fixtures are out this week apparently. Will division one clubs want to get into the top 4 or run the risk of the bottom 8 with 4 going down?? I'm hearing of a lot of emigration of players from various clubs which could have a major impact on their respective clubs. Oddly enough - no one from Kilcoo going anywhere!!!
My ratings will continue!🤪

Hard2Listen2

Too much sense being talked here pal.
Watch out or the loonies will turn on you!!

sdg

Quote from: Ed Hardy on February 27, 2022, 11:13:37 AM

100% spot on! There wasnt many who put their name forward to take the job on, people need to give the team and management a bit of time. A lot of Down fans needs to be more realistic with their ambitions also, minor and u21/20 results have been brutal for 15 years  or so bar last year. We get one decent team through and boys think they will  turn the senior team around.
Going forward hopefully Barry O Hagan back, along with the Kilcoo boys, Daniel Guinness should hopefully be fit to start and Corey Quinn. That will definitely improve the team. Any word if McCrickard is able to committee? Some ask travelling from Cork tho.

Ed the management fell into the job, as James always does, and takes his friend's in with him.  So none of this rubbish  they stepped up, they getting well paid

Lotto

Quote from: sdg on February 27, 2022, 04:15:47 PM

100% spot on! There wasnt many who put their name forward to take the job on, people need to give the team and management a bit of time. A lot of Down fans needs to be more realistic with their ambitions also, minor and u21/20 results have been brutal for 15 years  or so bar last year. We get one decent team through and boys think they will  turn the senior team around.
Going forward hopefully Barry O Hagan back, along with the Kilcoo boys, Daniel Guinness should hopefully be fit to start and Corey Quinn. That will definitely improve the team. Any word if McCrickard is able to committee? Some ask travelling from Cork tho.

Ed the management fell into the job, as James always does, and takes his friend's in with him.  So none of this rubbish  they stepped up, they getting well paid

Who is doing the coaching and getting the big county bucks for these performances apart from the uninspiring AO'R? If many of your well paid club coaches and managers continued to play without any clue about kickouts, they wouldn't be staying about too long. Kickouts are nothing to do with the opposition, generally, so it is irrelevant how good or bad the opposition is or what they have done in the past. Irrespective of when the management were appointed, if we cannot sort our own team out with the basics like kickouts then you have to question what they are doing at training.

Ed Hardy

Quote from: Lotto on February 27, 2022, 07:04:24 PM

Who is doing the coaching and getting the big county bucks for these performances apart from the uninspiring AO'R? If many of your well paid club coaches and managers continued to play without any clue about kickouts, they wouldn't be staying about too long. Kickouts are nothing to do with the opposition, generally, so it is irrelevant how good or bad the opposition is or what they have done in the past. Irrespective of when the management were appointed, if we cannot sort our own team out with the basics like kickouts then you have to question what they are doing at training.

Well did the kick outs work well under Tally? You think for years they didn't work on trying something, and all they could come up with was the box kick out to left. Can't keep blaming the management time after time.

Lotto

Quote from: Ed Hardy on February 27, 2022, 07:54:04 PM
Quote from: Lotto on February 27, 2022, 07:04:24 PM

Well did the kick outs work well under Tally? You think for years they didn't work on trying something, and all they could come up with was the box kick out to left. Can't keep blaming the management time after time.

The current mess is just a continuation of what the previous management did. Show me what else Tally came up with, tried out or even worked? Who do you blame then Ed, the management come up with the tactcs and the players work on this in training and then put the plan into place in games? I've seen little change from Tally's time Ed and if we can't secure our own ball on kickouts, we have little chance of making any progress.

Ed Hardy

I don't blame anyone, I think Down are a div3 team. Haven't been producing enough quality players for long time, and I think a year or 2 in Div3 wouldn't be the end of world and might benefit the younger players.

thewobbler

Quote from: Ed Hardy on February 27, 2022, 10:18:45 PM
I don't blame anyone, I think Down are a div3 team. Haven't been producing enough quality players for long time, and I think a year or 2 in Div3 wouldn't be the end of world and might benefit the younger players.

I mostly agree with you Ed. 23 years since Down has won an Ulster Minor. The gene pool would suggest this is not possible, but it has happened.

But I'm still finding myself staring into space watching this management team not even trying to change up what happened under Tally. The problems are eerily the same; obliterated at midfield, unwilling to attack with conviction or in numbers, and keeping players around for the value of experience, who just aren't up to it.

The odd thing is that for 35 mins just two years ago, Down developed an identity for one half vs Cavan that suits our current players; run hard, run fast, pass quick.  It's possibly the hardest football style to coach, because it's off the cuff.

So maybe stop over coaching? Just play to our strengths. We've a seriously quick middle 8 ready to roll. Let them roll.

rosskarr

Quote from: thewobbler on February 27, 2022, 11:56:04 PM

I mostly agree with you Ed. 23 years since Down has won an Ulster Minor. The gene pool would suggest this is not possible, but it has happened.

But I'm still finding myself staring into space watching this management team not even trying to change up what happened under Tally. The problems are eerily the same; obliterated at midfield, unwilling to attack with conviction or in numbers, and keeping players around for the value of experience, who just aren't up to it.

The odd thing is that for 35 mins just two years ago, Down developed an identity for one half vs Cavan that suits our current players; run hard, run fast, pass quick.  It's possibly the hardest football style to coach, because it's off the cuff.

So maybe stop over coaching? Just play to our strengths. We've a seriously quick middle 8 ready to roll. Let them roll.
Mostly agree with everything you have said but the last bit about the middle 8 is flawed in that I think there are only about 4 of those that started on Saturday who should be on the team.

whitegoodman

Quote from: thewobbler on February 27, 2022, 11:56:04 PM

Who would this middle 8 be.  I have my own thoughts on this but would be interested in hearing what others think.  For instance Mooneys best football for Down has been in the half back line so I personally think he should stay there instead of constantly being moved around the field.  I also think you cant have Niall McParland and Darren O Hagan in the same half back line.