Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

themac_23

Anyone any thoughts on the proposed new league structures? Apart from sarsfields somehow going from div 3 to div 1b the structure actually looks ok

Gold

Quote from: BrendanAntrim on December 21, 2017, 07:32:49 PM
Quote from: bannside on December 21, 2017, 01:34:44 PM
And who could ever forget Deaghlan O Hagans winning point in the last minute against Galway. Seems like a lifetime ago!

Absolutely - that must have been his 4th year I think? 2012? That was a huge win and v Tipp in the next round we were a couple of bloody centimetres away from a quarter final....Michael McCann nearly won it for us at the death. Very frustrating but a good year.

Beating Galway was unbelievable. To think we knocked them out of the AI Championship only 5 or so years ago is unbelievable

The Tipp game (which i was at) was an incredible missed opportunity.
A main player had headed away on a pre arranged holiday in the middle of the Championship and missed it. We couldn't afford that luxury, no competing county can

Those days were great and gave us hope. Baker was fantastic for us and was full of the positivity that we often lack

We have shot ourselves in the foot far too often like we did above....we must be one of the only counties not be play Championship in Croker in the past 50 years or so (even since the backdoor came in).

We need every potential player chomping at the bit to have any chance, committing for the full year
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

tintin25

Anyone have the proposed leagues in full?

themac_23

Quote from: hardstation on December 30, 2017, 11:03:24 AM
Quote from: themac_23 on December 30, 2017, 09:24:02 AM
Anyone any thoughts on the proposed new league structures? Apart from sarsfields somehow going from div 3 to div 1b the structure actually looks ok
As well as Glenavy being promoted from Div 2 to Div 1a while other Div 1 teams are put into 1b.

Didn't see that, just scanned it and the SARs one stood out. I meant that the idea of a 1a and b with 8 teams prob makes sense. Maybe the make up team wise needs tweaked

Dreen

Sarsfield's and Glenavy situation very strange.
Very hard to have much confidence in CCC when this comes out and the version I saw full of spelling errors.
As a Rasharkin man I'd obviously rather not see this format but I can see the reasons for the 8 team leagues and I know a change worked in our favour 2 seasons ago.
It would have been better to let all clubs know this was in the offing at the the start of 2017 and then top 4 league positions in Division 2 would have been important in the formation of 1B
After the season moneyglass had in division 2 they should be replacing Sarsfield's in 1B.

themac_23

Quote from: Dreen on December 30, 2017, 12:55:49 PM
Very hard to have much confidence in CCC when this comes out and the version I saw full of spelling errors.
As a Rasharkin man I'd obviously rather not see this format but I can see the reasons for the 8 team leagues and I know a change worked in our favour 2 seasons ago.
It would have been better to let all clubs know this was in the offing at the the start of 2017 and then top 4 league positions in Division 2 would have been important in the formation of 1B
After the season moneyglass had in division 2 they should be replacing Sarsfield's in 1B.

I think the divisions would work well actually, as I say the format needs a bit of tinkering. It opens up availability for the county also, 14 games easier to run off than 18, and with div 3 not overly effected by county players that is the division that can handle the extra games. If they get the grading sorted I think it's a good idea. The leagues gonna start early again this year? Thought it worked well with league being over pre championship.

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: themac_23 on December 30, 2017, 07:16:15 PM
Where can you view these proposals? and what's the thinking behind them....
I think the divisions would work well actually, as I say the format needs a bit of tinkering. It opens up availability for the county also, 14 games easier to run off than 18, and with div 3 not overly effected by county players that is the division that can handle the extra games. If they get the grading sorted I think it's a good idea. The leagues gonna start early again this year? Thought it worked well with league being over pre championship.

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on December 31, 2017, 11:56:22 AM
where can you view these proposals and what is thinking behind them?
Quote from: Belfast GAA man on December 31, 2017, 11:56:22 AM

themac_23

I seen a screen grab on twitter, not sure how to post it on the phone though

delgany

The revamp of football league structures to 1A  1B  2 & 3 is a proposal for 2019 .

It is proposed to revamp reserve leagues to 3 divisions for 2018 only .

Div 1 , 2 and 3  to remain the same  for  2018 - finishing position in 2018 will be used for league status in 2019 .

(subject to approval at committee)  Revamp may be a way of managing the changes to calendar season and juggling football & hurling fixtures. frees up more weekends and hopefully less mid week fixtures.

Dreen

Then why has something got out with 2018 on it and teams actually named in proposed divisions.

country bumpkin

Quote from: Dreen on January 01, 2018, 10:20:21 AM
Then why has something got out with 2018 on it and teams actually named in pr
oposed divisions.

As far as I know, and haven't scanned league regulations and proposal to restructure must be for the following season....if accepted by County Committee..... ???

Galer

Some start 2 nite.it can only get better

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bit of banter

Tyrone in second gear, Antrim no workrate, cj 2 stone overweight , Ballymena highest represented club. Its going to be our hardest season yet. We need to look past blaming managers as our players arnt at any sort of level to seriously compete, and lenny wont be able to change that during his term.
Thought tyrone eased off and let us get a few sxores last 5 minutes otherwise could have been 30 in it. Division 1 v division 4 and it showed.