"GAA is losing ground big time" - McGeeney

Started by Jinxy, March 22, 2018, 10:27:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solo_run

I can see where he is coming from. There are loads of references to rugby players playing gaelic football or hurling in their youth but never really hear any reference to rugby switching to gaelic football.

I don't think it will be long before GAA players are paid or they are going to have to enforce some serious restrictions on budgeting especially with there being a massive gap between county teams.

If the players do start getting paid would it be a better idea to allow this incentive at County level?

screenexile

Quote from: Solo_run on March 28, 2018, 12:05:55 AM
I can see where he is coming from. There are loads of references to rugby players playing gaelic football or hurling in their youth but never really hear any reference to rugby switching to gaelic football.

I don't think it will be long before GAA players are paid or they are going to have to enforce some serious restrictions on budgeting especially with there being a massive gap between county teams.

If the players do start getting paid would it be a better idea to allow this incentive at County level?

Here you go . . .

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/some-class-rugby-players-who-chose-the-gaa-instead-155055?utm_content=buffer6203b&utm_medium=Social+organic&utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=Buffer

Jinxy

To be fair, that's more a list of GAA players who dabbled in a bit of rugby on the side.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

AZOffaly

Any good rugby player who is on a professional contract is unlikely to be allowed play GAA while under contract. When they finish up, or if they are cut loose, they may well come back, but they'd not be the better known lads anyway.

Jinxy

Eric Miller is the only high-profile rugby player I can recall that played football at a decent-ish level after retiring.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Jinxy on March 28, 2018, 12:33:39 PM
Eric Miller is the only high-profile rugby player I can recall that played football at a decent-ish level after retiring.

Gavan Duffy played a small bit of IC with Mayo didn't he?

mrdeeds

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 28, 2018, 11:58:34 AM
Any good rugby player who is on a professional contract is unlikely to be allowed play GAA while under contract. When they finish up, or if they are cut loose, they may well come back, but they'd not be the better known lads anyway.

Sean O Brien played in Carlow recently enough.

Donnellys Hollow

Johne Murphy (Ellistown) and Fionn Carr (Straffan) are currently playing intermediate football in Kildare having finished up playing pro-rugby. I think Carr is still lining out for Naas in the AIL.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

CJ2017

GAA gaining ground in Adelaide tho.

Adelaide Crows Eddie's Betts playing sevens in South Australia, dont know if he will be giving up the
$650,000 a year contract tho!

Jinxy

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on March 28, 2018, 01:17:28 PM
Johne Murphy (Ellistown) and Fionn Carr (Straffan) are currently playing intermediate football in Kildare having finished up playing pro-rugby. I think Carr is still lining out for Naas in the AIL.

You'd think he'd spell his name properly now that he's retired from rugby.