2018 NFL Division 1

Started by Kuwabatake Sanjuro, January 02, 2018, 09:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Dublin get 5 games at home in the League! They should never have more than three at home games in the League part, given they have always a home tie in the final! And they travel no-where come championship!

cornetto

Well mayo pulled it out of the fire,it probably is a good result for Galway in that retaining div 1 status covers over a lot of deficiencies,I fully expect Galway to beat them in castlebar.
As for next sunday I'm just hoping Galway perform and a loss of 5pts or less, a drubbing mind you would probably have me having to readdress my above prediction!!!

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 25, 2018, 06:39:38 PM
Dublin get 5 games at home in the League! They should never have more than three at home games in the League part, given they have always a home tie in the final! And they travel no-where come championship!

The Dubs did OK in McHale Park (again) this year.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

From the Bunker

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on March 25, 2018, 06:54:58 PM

The Dubs did OK in McHale Park (again) this year.

Yes, and they are welcome to Castlebar.  Other than the cheap shot, What's your point?

My point is that there is a serious imbalance in what is expected of Dublin fans and fans from around the country.

Syferus

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on March 25, 2018, 06:54:58 PM

The Dubs™ did OK in McHale Park (again) this year.

You forgot the trademark.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: cornetto on March 25, 2018, 06:54:49 PM
Well mayo pulled it out of the fire,it probably is a good result for Galway in that retaining div 1 status covers over a lot of deficiencies,I fully expect Galway to beat them in castlebar.
As for next sunday I'm just hoping Galway perform and a loss of 5pts or less, a drubbing mind you would probably have me having to readdress my above prediction!!!
Thats confidence! reading a little too much into league form. For what its worth Mayo are due a win v Galway and i would expect Mayo to win a low scoring contest on May 13th.

An Fhairche Abu

A raft of changes on both the Kildare and Galway teams today so I don't know how much you could really take from the match, the level of pace was off what you'd usually expect in Division One.
I felt Galway were comfortable enough and possibly had another gear to go to if required but it wasn't needed. Of the regular league first 15, Kerin and Conroy weren't in the squad at all, O'Ceallaigh was suspended, Heaney, Comer, McHugh and Cathal Sweeney didn't feature at any stage.

Galway have injury concerns over Sean Kelly and Armstrong by the looks of it, both were very good today, Kelly in particular was Galway's best player in the half that he played, only a very clear goal chance miss that he should have scored to blot his copybook, in fairness it was only a chance off of his own play out the field taking on the Kildare backs. He didn't return after ht and was replaced by Shane Walsh, who kicked a great assist pass for a fine Armstrong point within a minute of coming on, kicked a beautiful free off his left and then had his usual issues with taking on either the wrong shot or the wrong option at times.
Armstrong played very well and I hope it was just a precaution taking him off and not something that will keep him out of next week.
Daly made his return to playing time in the second half, good to see him back. Cunningham had a decent run out but unfortunately for him, some of the good off the ball runs he made in the first half didn't get rewarded with any ball being sent into him, kicked two nice points. D'Arcy had a couple of super fetches when introduced. Probably Duggan's best outing in a Galway jersey as well today. I see Duane got the GBFM man of the match award, not sure about that myself but he played fairly well.

Kildare weren't at full strength but some of the wides they had were very poor, a good few real "hit and hope" pot shots that had no business being kicked, some of the others were just bad execution, Dublin players in similar positions next week won't miss. The Kildare sub goalie started and he has some boot on him. The length he was getting on his kick outs in the warm up was outrageous.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on March 25, 2018, 08:58:07 PM
A raft of changes on both the Kildare and Galway teams today so I don't know how much you could really take from the match, the level of pace was off what you'd usually expect in Division One.
I felt Galway were comfortable enough and possibly had another gear to go to if required but it wasn't needed. Of the regular league first 15, Kerin and Conroy weren't in the squad at all, O'Ceallaigh was suspended, Heaney, Comer, McHugh and Cathal Sweeney didn't feature at any stage.

Galway have injury concerns over Sean Kelly and Armstrong by the looks of it, both were very good today, Kelly in particular was Galway's best player in the half that he played, only a very clear goal chance miss that he should have scored to blot his copybook, in fairness it was only a chance off of his own play out the field taking on the Kildare backs. He didn't return after ht and was replaced by Shane Walsh, who kicked a great assist pass for a fine Armstrong point within a minute of coming on, kicked a beautiful free off his left and then had his usual issues with taking on either the wrong shot or the wrong option at times.
Armstrong played very well and I hope it was just a precaution taking him off and not something that will keep him out of next week.
Daly made his return to playing time in the second half, good to see him back. Cunningham had a decent run out but unfortunately for him, some of the good off the ball runs he made in the first half didn't get rewarded with any ball being sent into him, kicked two nice points. D'Arcy had a couple of super fetches when introduced. Probably Duggan's best outing in a Galway jersey as well today. I see Duane got the GBFM man of the match award, not sure about that myself but he played fairly well.

Kildare weren't at full strength but some of the wides they had were very poor, a good few real "hit and hope" pot shots that had no business being kicked, some of the others were just bad execution, Dublin players in similar positions next week won't miss. The Kildare sub goalie started and he has some boot on him. The length he was getting on his kick outs in the warm up was outrageous.

Galway's second string looked good in the 1st half and were efficient enough attacking wise in the second but gave Kildare far too many chances. It was challenge match intensity however so nothing can be read into it. Clearly well coached though.

A poor championship for Kildare will spell the end for Dr Cian, it has been a huge disappointment of a league campaign and he has lost the dressing room completely by the looks of it. He deserves very little sympathy however as his decision making in selection for the panel, 1st 15 and positionally has become diabolical and weaknesses have not been tackled. A good majority of our players have regressed in the last 12 months too, confidence probably playing a part.
Aaron O'Neill had a good debut today, seemed sharp enough with his kickouts and would have been better if we had someone capable of jumping and catching a ball on the team. He hasn't played a senior club championship game yet though and will miss the u20 championship is selected for the seniors against Louth/Carlow.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on March 25, 2018, 08:58:07 PM

Aaron O'Neill, only minor last year. Serious potential but no fear we will soon knock that out of him .
#newbridgeornowhere

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 25, 2018, 09:40:27 PM
Aaron O'Neill, only minor last year. Serious potential but no fear we will soon knock that out of him .

I've yet to see evidence of his shot stopping ability but every other aspect of his game matches or exceeds Donnellan.

RedHand88

What an achievement for Monaghan. They really are punching above their weight in terms of population. What excuses do Kildare/Meath have now???

Itchy

Move over in the bed lads.

Main Street

All in all, that was a very good league campaign from Monaghan and considering the winter/spring training has been relatively relaxed. There are all round improvements with most every player with a few newcomers making a very solid mark. The promising stylists from last year's campaign, Jack McCarron and Colm McCarthy were lightly used but showed enough promise that they'll play a big part later, taking more of the  scoring responsibility upon themselves, Vinny Corey having an 'Indian Summer' and goalie Rory Beggan has stepped up a few notches. The football's not too bad either.

That was a nice competitive game against the Dubs to wind up the league campaign.  I don't think anybody should read too much into it, but all the same it's warmly satisfying to the core.

SouthDublinBro

Monaghan are the dirtiest team in Ireland.

straightred

Quote from: SouthDublinBro on March 25, 2018, 10:51:06 PM
Monaghan are the dirtiest team in Ireland.

Not even close. Under Banty they were dirty but not now

Bit of a snorefest today and maybe if there had been a few digs it might have livened it up a bit. Monaghan's shooting was awful at times but they did score 2 cracking goals and a beauty of a point to win it. Maybe the dublin subs aren't quite as good as we thought?