All Ireland Football Final 2017 Mayo V Dublin

Started by never kickt a ball, August 27, 2017, 07:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asal Mor

Thanks. That's a bad rule though. Rewards the foul.

Syferus

Quote from: Asal Mor on September 17, 2017, 06:37:29 PM

It's a rule that's used just fine in nearly every other field sport.

Captain Scarlet

One good thing Geezer said while he was with Kildare was that you take the ref out of the equation in terms of looking at what you did or didn't do before going at the ref. I know he was being diplomatic but the point stands.

If an initial foul takes place at a certain point and no advantage accrues then it is called back to where the initial foul took place.

Mayo owned the first half and had Dublin totally rattled, Cluxton kicking it to them and the Dubs forward line under wraps. BUT, they missed score able efforts and should have been further ahead.
In the second half they also missed chances including Doherty, who was clean through. Then Vaughan barges in when things looked settled and instead of 15 v 14 it's 14 apiece.
Then Clarke's kickouts fail at the time when Mayo needed them most while Cluxton was after correcting his.

The Dubs were not let play to their potential by the brilliance of the Mayo defence at times, but their deicision-making let them down yet again.
The easy test is how many times you find yourself asking WTF was that?! during a match tells you the winner.
When Kilkenny ruled in hurling you never said it to yourself. The Dubs are the same. They don't do brain farts.

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Syferus

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on September 17, 2017, 06:40:18 PM
One good thing Geezer said while he was with Kildare was that you take the ref out of the equation in terms of looking at what you did or didn't do before going at the ref. I know he was being diplomatic but the point stands.

If an initial foul takes place at a certain point and no advantage accrues then it is called back to where the initial foul took place.

Mayo owned the first half and had Dublin totally rattled, Cluxton kicking it to them and the Dubs forward line under wraps. BUT, they missed score able efforts and should have been further ahead.
In the second half they also missed chances including Doherty, who was clean through. Then Vaughan barges in when things looked settled and instead of 15 v 14 it's 14 apiece.
Then Clarke's kickouts fail at the time when Mayo needed them most while Cluxton was after correcting his.

The Dubs were not let play to their potential by the brilliance of the Mayo defence at times, but their deicision-making let them down yet again.
The easy test is how many times you find yourself asking WTF was that?! during a match tells you the winner.
When Kilkenny ruled in hurling you never said it to yourself. The Dubs are the same. They don't do brain farts.

Small's 'shoulder' was exactly what you're for saying Dublin don't do..

Asal Mor

Quote from: Syferus on September 17, 2017, 06:39:00 PM
Quote from: Asal Mor on September 17, 2017, 06:37:29 PM

It's a rule that's used just fine in nearly every other field sport.
The advantage rule is a good rule but the fact that the second, deliberate foul inside the box is rewarded is wrong and illogical.

Wildweasel74

Its hardly an advantage if the further foul doesn't count

GalwayBayBoy

That might be the toughest one of all for Mayo to take. Dubs rattled. McCaffrey off injured very early. Mayo on top in midfield. Dublin kickouts going astray. About to go down to 14 men. Seemed to be all set up for them at that point.

Even after that they had the one on one with Cluxton that was missed. COC missing the free to put them one ahead as the clock turned 70. Clarke landing the final kickout over the sideline allowing Dublin to play keep ball for last 2 minutes.

A lot of regrets to take out of one game today.

Captain Scarlet

I think Small was a stupid hit and a yellow, but then I'd call Vaughan's a WTF moment!
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

straightred

Quote from: Captain Obvious on September 17, 2017, 04:32:31 PM
AOS lucky he avoided a black card.

this was a huge call - happened right in front of me and he 100% should have got a black

thewobbler

1. We just witnessed a classic.

2. There's some absolute c***ts of human beings on this board, and hanging would be too good for them.

Itchy

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 17, 2017, 06:53:52 PM
That might be the toughest one of all for Mayo to take. Dubs rattled. McCaffrey off injured very early. Mayo on top in midfield. Dublin kickouts going astray. About to go down to 14 men. Seemed to be all set up for them at that point.

Even after that they had the one on one with Cluxton that was missed. COC missing the free to put them one ahead as the clock turned 70. Clarke landing the final kickout over the sideline allowing Dublin to play keep ball for last 2 minutes.

A lot of regrets to take out of one game today.

Don't be talking sense man, it's Dublin Joes fault!

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: straightred on September 17, 2017, 06:58:41 PM

this was a huge call - happened right in front of me and he 100% should have got a black

You standing in the middle of the field? It was nowhere near as big a call as the gouge from O'Gara going unpunished.

Jinxy

I'd say that's the hardest one yet to take for Mayo folks.
This time I genuinely thought ye had it.
I hope Vaughan doesn't get a hard time as he'll know himself it was a moment of madness.
An extra man for the finale of a game as tight as this would have made all the difference.
Chris Barrett was my MOTM with some of the best technical tackling I've ever seen.
Connolly made a massive difference when he came on, as did McManamon.
All in all, that was probably the best football final I've seen so fair play to both teams.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

straightred

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on September 17, 2017, 07:06:08 PM
Quote from: straightred on September 17, 2017, 06:58:41 PM

You standing in the middle of the field? It was nowhere near as big a call as the gouge from O'Gara going unpunished.
dublin came out in the 2nd half determined to win the throw in. They did and AOS pulled him down. It was obvious. Would it have mattered - who knows? AOS had plenty of ball but he slows it up far too much. Dublin Joe wasn't as dublin as you are making out - i though mayo got plenty of soft ones as well.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

I won't argue on the soft frees issue, Jason Doherty got one where he fell over.
I'm still not sure on the AOS one on McCarthy, there was no replay shown and it was a case of McCarthy running over him when he was on the ground. Hard to see from a distance whether he grabbed hold of his leg like Small last year though.