2016 Leinster Football Championship

Started by Kuwabatake Sanjuro, May 09, 2016, 09:31:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Apologies for starting the most boring thread imaginable. The only things of interest here is when the various teams who are not Dublin go into the qualifiers and how much Dublin can hammer their opponents. Dwindling attendances are expected to be another feature.
It starts this weekend anyway:
                                                       Leinster G.A.A. S.F.C. 2016

1.    Laois    v    Wicklow    O'Moore Park, Portlaoise    14.5.2016 (Sat)    7.00pm
2.    Louth    v    Carlow    O'Moore Park, Portlaoise    14.5.2016 (Sat)    5.00pm
3.    Longford    v    Offaly    O'Connor Park, Tullamore    15.5.2016    3.30pm
QUARTER FINALS:
4.    Laois/Wicklow    v    Dublin    Nowlan Park    4.6.2016 (Sat)     7.00pm (TV)
5.    Louth/Carlow    v    Meath    Parnell Park/Pairc Tailteann    12.6.2016    
6    Longford/Offaly    v    Westmeath    TEG Cusack Park, Mullingar    12.6.2016    
7    Wexford    v    Kildare    Croke Park    21.5.2016 (Sat)    5.15
SEMI FINALS:
8.    Winner 4    v    Winner 5    Croke Park    26.6.2016    
9.    Winner 6    v    Winner 7    Croke Park    26.6.2016    
FINAL:    Winner 8     v    Winner 9    Croke Park    17.7.2016    

Laois and Wicklow you'd imagine would be straightforward for Laois but last year Wickow sacrificed the league to be fit for the championship where they gave Meath a big scare and are capable of a scalp. Both teams would be happy enough to go into the qualifiers without taking a Dublin hammering too.

Carlow and Louth could be close too, Louth have gone back a long way while Carlow showed some promise in the League. Still Louth should have enough.

Longford and Offaly go at it again. Offaly are going in the right direction and should do it.

Rossfan

The Larries/Biffos/Landgrabbers v Wexford/Kildare half of the draw will be even enough and any if them could win through to the Execution.
Other side should see Meath getting hammered by Dublin in the semi.
Will the 7 games not involving Dublin manage to attract 50,000?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: Rossfan on May 09, 2016, 11:26:26 PM

Will the 7 games not involving Dublin manage to attract 50,000?

Unlikely, Meath and Louth might have a bit of a turnout if it happens. Kildare and Wexford would have gotten a respectable crowd if played in Carlow but the Dublin Hurlng fans will bring it above 20000 in Croke Park so it probably balances out.

Dinny Breen

15 weeks to play 4 rounds of football. Could easily be condensed into 10 weeks to leave latitude for replays. 15 weeks of a slow death march...
#newbridgeornowhere

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 10, 2016, 09:22:17 AM
15 weeks to play 4 rounds of football. Could easily be condensed into 10 weeks to leave latitude for replays. 15 weeks of a slow death march...

It's only 9, we'll make it six for ye  8)
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on May 10, 2016, 09:28:33 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 10, 2016, 09:22:17 AM

It's only 9, we'll make it six for ye  8)

Happily take that. A possible semi-final no team wants to win, could be a nil all draw...
#newbridgeornowhere

LilySavage

And Id happily take a Leinster Final with no expectations. How many have Kildare been in recently? One final appearance in last 12 I think. We're certainly not too big for our boots that we would shun a day out against the best team in the sport.

seafoid

Quote from: LilySavage on May 10, 2016, 12:13:27 PM
And Id happily take a Leinster Final with no expectations. How many have Kildare been in recently? One final appearance in last 12 I think. We're certainly not too big for our boots that we would shun a day out against the best team in the sport.
Mayo don't play in Leinster
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Dinny Breen

Quote from: LilySavage on May 10, 2016, 12:13:27 PM

Then we lose badly and the whinging starts and it will start especially in this knee jerk instant reaction society we currently live in - bad defeats can stunt a team's development especially a young side like ours. Would much prefer a nice run in the qualifiers and an All-Ireland quarter-final and a performance.
#newbridgeornowhere

Jinxy

I've a great feeling about this year.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

seafoid

Surely the situation has to end some time. Has a formerly competitive  provincial championship ever been so one sided ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

heffo

Donnellys Hollow

I hope they never do away with the Leinster Championship. It's great preparation for the O'Byrne Cup.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

stevecw

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on May 09, 2016, 09:31:09 PM
Carlow and Louth could be close too, Louth have gone back a long way while Carlow showed some promise in the League. Still Louth should have enough.

No idea where you are getting this from. Louth won Div 4 along the way beating Carlow in Carlow by 13 points!  I seriously doubt it will be close, anything less than a 10 point defeat would be a sort of success for us sadly.

laoislad

I'm not missing out like I did by not putting any money on Leicester City.

€50 on Longford it is.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.