Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Quote from: Applesisapples on January 17, 2018, 12:16:42 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on January 17, 2018, 11:26:18 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on January 17, 2018, 09:58:51 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on January 16, 2018, 04:27:42 PM
I don't like to use the IRA/SF thing but they were the same grouping from 1970 to 2005.
SF are only now beginning to knock the odd Provo atrocity.
I was responding to Bombast's nonsense and all those things I mentioned were visited upon the Nationalists by the Provo IRA.
You are missing the point, the troubles up here are not as simple as southerners believe, they like you for the most part accept the Unionist mantra of a one sided affair.
I've never believed the "Troubles" were a 1 sided affair.
Just because I post critically of SF and Provo atrocities doesn't mean I agree with blinkered Unionists who say all was grand until the Provo IRA for some unknown reason started violence in 1970 or 71.
Still no justification for Kingsmill Enniskillen etc.

And I with the above piece that head office in Dublin told Barry to fall on his sword to help SF's chances in the next GE in the 26 which they obviously think isn't that far away.
There you go again, SF and the Provos!!!!
Gerry was never in the IRA
SF had no connection whatever with the Provo IRA
Pigs fly when there's a full moon
Donald Trump is a genius
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Il Bomber Destro

I don't like to use the IRA/SF thing but they were the same grouping from 1970 to 2005.
I was responding to Bombast's nonsense and all those things I mentioned were visited upon the Nationalists by the Provo IRA.
You are missing the point, the troubles up here are not as simple as southerners believe, they like you for the most part accept the Unionist mantra of a one sided affair.
Just because I post critically of SF and Provo atrocities doesn't mean I agree with blinkered Unionists who say all was grand until the Provo IRA for some unknown reason started violence in 1970 or 71.

And I with the above piece that head office in Dublin told Barry to fall on his sword to help SF's chances in the next GE in the 26 which they obviously think isn't that far away.

What about the killers and gunmen who have held office for the establishment parties since the Free State was established? Do you have the same aversion to FG and FF's bloody past as SF's?

Avondhu star

Quote from: armaghniac on January 17, 2018, 12:20:05 PM
Quote from: Avondhu star on January 17, 2018, 12:06:49 PM
Of course there is a split in SF.  Take a look at the representatives in the Republic. Theres a lot of bandwagon jumpers there who would be perfectly happy in the Labour Party, FF or some of the left parties.

Most of them more talented than any representatives in the 6 counties.
That wouldnt be too high a standard to beat but at least the Northern representatives stay loyal to the party
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

JPGJOHNNYG

New boundary proposals released for westminister. Looks like gerrymandering still alive and well. The 3 unionist seats in belfast now a sure thing despite being in the minority in the city.

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/dup-seat-axed-in-new-northern-ireland-constituency-boundary-map-36498725.html

HiMucker

GJL

Rossfan

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 17, 2018, 01:01:58 PM

What about ?
Yellow card!!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Applesisapples

Quote from: Owenmoresider on January 17, 2018, 03:38:14 PM
Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on January 17, 2018, 02:27:46 PM
New boundary proposals released for westminister. Looks like gerrymandering still alive and well. The 3 unionist seats in belfast now a sure thing despite being in the minority in the city.

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/dup-seat-axed-in-new-northern-ireland-constituency-boundary-map-36498725.html
Looks like Banbridge is gone from Upper Bann - will that be enough to push it into the nationalist column?
Unlikely

Owen Brannigan

It will be interesting to read the SF consultation reply document that they submitted following the 2016 for which consultation ended last December.

Anyway, it looks unlikely that the number of seats will be changed for Westminster as it was a Cameron policy to do so and the May regime is anti anything related to Cameron especially when a rump of Tory MPs are against the reduction.  However, there is widespread agreement among Tory MPs to have boundaries redrawn to equalise the size of constituencies in GB as it will affect mainly Labour seats and would automatically reduce their numbers in the next election if all else were equal.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Applesisapples on January 17, 2018, 03:43:49 PM
Quote from: Owenmoresider on January 17, 2018, 03:38:14 PM

Looks like Banbridge is gone from Upper Bann - will that be enough to push it into the nationalist column?
Unlikely
I'd actually removed that when I looked for figures, was thinking of 2015 when it was viewed as a three-way contest, but the DUP pulled well ahead in June so that's settled that.

longballin

So Irish News speculates yesterday that Peter Canavan may stand for Sinn Fein in West Tyrone and runs a story today that he won't... seriously, is this journalism?  No-one here thought for a moment he would stand. Fake news.

Main Street

Quote from: seafoid on January 17, 2018, 10:09:54 AM
This is very good

https://thebrokenelbow.com/2018/01/15/barry-mcelduffs-resignation-the-two-questions-that-follow/

Barry McElduff's Resignation: The Two Questions That Follow   
I read it and found it to be disjointed waffle with little or no substance to support the 2 question supposition.

Owen Brannigan

Best to read this independent view of the proposed boundary changes before following the hysterical SF view of them:

https://nwhyte.livejournal.com/2949414.html

It would appear that these proposals will not meet with DUP approval on a number of fronts, not least that there are still only 17 seats and the SF seats remain largely unaffected by these new proposals rather than the first proposals which ripped apart the western constituencies held by SF and radically re-drew the boundaries.  The fourth constituency in Belfast was asked for not only by DUP but also by SDLP and other experts in the field who felt that the 3 constituency Belfast would not be as representative of the population as required.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on January 17, 2018, 05:00:25 PM

Best to read this independent view of the proposed boundary changes before following the hysterical SF view of them:

It would appear that these proposals will not meet with DUP approval on a number of fronts, not least that there are still only 17 seats and the SF seats remain largely unaffected by these new proposals rather than the first proposals which ripped apart the western constituencies held by SF and radically re-drew the boundaries.  The fourth constituency in Belfast was asked for not only by DUP but also by SDLP and other experts in the field who felt that the 3 constituency Belfast would not be as representative of the population as required.

No need to contemplate the "who benefits most" scenario
If it doesn't suit the DUP it will never see the light of day
If it does then it's gonna happen
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on January 17, 2018, 05:00:25 PM

Nwhytes own initial proposal was for 3 seats in Belfast he has since changed his mind. It doesn't matter how you look at it it stinks. A proposal last year came out making N Belfast  and upper bann more competitive for nationalists. Result hissy fit from DUP with vows it will never happen. Fast forward 12 mths and the new proposals suddenly make South, East and North Belfast safe and a likely gain in ND. This is not a hysterical SF view. This manages to screw SF, SDLP, Alliance and Hermon compared to the previous proposal. To add to the woe it will safe guard that cnut Gregory unlike the previous proposals. SDLP wanted 4 seats for Belfast but  I'm guessing they had their eye on Dunmurry shifting into SB to help which ain't happening on these plans.