Building a house

Started by JimStynes, February 26, 2011, 04:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hank Everlast

Quote from: balladmaker on March 31, 2011, 12:21:52 AM
QuoteThat's exactly the stage I'm at balladmaker... Goin by what I've borrowed and what I have spent so far I hope I'm at around 45%

I'm hoping that is the case as well.  I got a surveryor to do out a costing for me, but I thought it was inflated and contained a load of stuff which wasn't neccessary to make the house liveable e.g. driveways done, all rooms floored and decorated etc. etc.

On cavity insulation, what are the pro's and con's between installing sheet insulation in the cavity during the block build versus pumping in the insulation after the blockwork is completed?

Iv went for the blow in bead insulation. Further more I've insulated all the external walls with 1/2 "  plasterboard with 1" kingspan. The same plasterboard on upstairs ceilings with 100mil kingspan between the rafters.

To me it's seems like a serious amount of insulation especially wen you consider the 8x4 sheet of that insulated plasterboard in £18 a pop and I needed 120 sheets, but building control have started asking for it and the aul fella has been bangn on something serious about insulating to the max.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Hank Everlast on April 01, 2011, 11:41:21 PM
Quote from: balladmaker on March 31, 2011, 12:21:52 AM
QuoteThat's exactly the stage I'm at balladmaker... Goin by what I've borrowed and what I have spent so far I hope I'm at around 45%

I'm hoping that is the case as well.  I got a surveryor to do out a costing for me, but I thought it was inflated and contained a load of stuff which wasn't neccessary to make the house liveable e.g. driveways done, all rooms floored and decorated etc. etc.

On cavity insulation, what are the pro's and con's between installing sheet insulation in the cavity during the block build versus pumping in the insulation after the blockwork is completed?

Iv went for the blow in bead insulation. Further more I've insulated all the external walls with 1/2 "  plasterboard with 1" kingspan. The same plasterboard on upstairs ceilings with 100mil kingspan between the rafters.

To me it's seems like a serious amount of insulation especially wen you consider the 8x4 sheet of that insulated plasterboard in £18 a pop and I needed 120 sheets, but building control have started asking for it and the aul fella has been bangn on something serious about insulating to the max.
Everyone is going flat out insulating houses these days but they are forgetting about ventilation. The brother-in-law is in the final throes of building a house for his auld pair and he has the insulated plasterboard and even with the thermostat on the lowest setting it's like a sauna. Nice in the winter but without ventilation it is going to be seriously uncomfortable and will lead to poor air quality in the house. Yes you can open the windows but what was the point of all the insulation?

Hank Everlast

Oh and after some serious tooing and froing Im giving the underfloor heating a miss, although the actual cost difference is alot less than wat it was, the reports I've been hearing from most people is that it's too hard on oil... It seems it doesn't suit a 9-5 household.

Have I made the right decision?!?!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Hank Everlast on April 01, 2011, 11:48:10 PM
Oh and after some serious tooing and froing Im giving the underfloor heating a miss, although the actual cost difference is alot less than wat it was, the reports I've been hearing from most people is that it's too hard on oil... It seems it doesn't suit a 9-5 household.

People that say that have generally heard it third hand from someone as it's a bit of an urban myth. I have it downstairs in our house and I don't find it sore on the oil at all. You have a well insulated house so your house will hold the heat after the oil burner has knocked itself off.

balladmaker

Rule of thumb, how much more costly is under floor heating vs radiators?

Has anyone looked at the wood pellet burners?

ludermor

we ran out of pellets 2 years ago ( the main supplier to the island was a crowd in ferm that went wallop)

Hank Everlast

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 01, 2011, 11:52:52 PM
Quote from: Hank Everlast on April 01, 2011, 11:48:10 PM

People that say that have generally heard it third hand from someone as it's a bit of an urban myth. I have it downstairs in our house and I don't find it sore on the oil at all. You have a well insulated house so your house will hold the heat after the oil burner has knocked itself off.

Your right, I'm going on second and third hand information, but even the plumbers I priced said it would most likely cost abit more to run, add to this a few horror stories I'd heard and has just pushed me to the safe option. Il probably regret it. I suppose I just like the thot of on evenings like these you can come home from work and stick on the heat for 20 mins and ur warm!!

Tony Baloney

There is no reason to regret going with rads as it's a proven system and is easy to control. A lot of people that get UFH in have it set up incorrectly and that's why it burns oil.

laoislad

After working in hundreds of houses where people are building I can say I wouldn't install underfloor heating in my own house when I eventually get around to building one.
Thats not to say it doesn't work but in my experience it's about a 50/50 split of people who think its a great job to people who regret putting it in.
I have even seen the same installer put exactly the same system into two houses built 100yards apart and one couple love it and the other hate it.
I wouldn't take the chance myself so rads are the way I would go as you know exactly what you are getting.
I might however put in Devi mats in the bathrooms and en suites but I wouldn't put underfloor heating throughout the house.
I would heat the house with a oil burner(or maybe Gas),if the house is insulated correctly and if the plumbing is zoned right then you shouldn't be burning very much oil at all.
Insulation is the key here and I would insulate it to the max but as Tony said you also have to think of ventilation so getting the balance right is a must.If this done right, oil and how much you burn won't cost a fortune.
I would also go then with a solid fuel stove in the living room,I think they look class and they give brilliant heat.
I think solar panels to heat the water are a great job and I have never heard anyone complain about them and would install them without a doubt.
This is just what I would do from seeing the results of hundreds of other homes that I have wired and worked in over the years.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

lawnseed

Quote from: ludermor on April 02, 2011, 03:20:05 AM
we ran out of pellets 2 years ago ( the main supplier to the island was a crowd in ferm that went wallop)
ive heard of guys importing pellets from europe they are supposed to be better quality (dont know much about that) try ebay/gummtree or buy a forty foot from europe if you have somewhere to tip them
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Tony Baloney

Quote from: lawnseed on April 02, 2011, 04:04:31 PM
Quote from: ludermor on April 02, 2011, 03:20:05 AM
ive heard of guys importing pellets from europe they are supposed to be better quality (dont know much about that) try ebay/gummtree or buy a forty foot from europe if you have somewhere to tip them
Ludermor is that Balcas that went tits up? Where did people get them from after that happened?

gander

not sure if this was mentioned earlier, but how much does building control (NI) typically cost?

Hereiam

For a hse under 250sq.m the plan fee is £75 and the inspection fee is £175 anything above this and the plan & inspection fee are calculated on the esimated cost of the build.

thejuice

Need 0.07m3 of 40mm gravel. A small amount but how much in weight would I need to order.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

blewuporstuffed

not building, just renovating a house.
I was wondering if there are any grants/scappage schemes or anything for replacing an old boiler, loft/roof insulation or replacing old windows?

I had a quick look, there seems to be laods for people on benefits , but that doesnt apply to me.

In the north by the way
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either