NFL Division 1 2024

Started by Blowitupref, January 16, 2023, 08:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

Quote from: Aaron Boone on March 26, 2023, 04:17:18 PM
Not a great result for Mayo today despite the Farney heroics.

Joe Brolly was just saying in the paper today that Mayo were now the real deal and I believed him upto 2pm.

Derry coughed up a big lead vs Cork.

Cavan coughed up a big lead vs Fermanagh.

It might just be harder than you imagine to give a f**k when it's not your turn to give a f**k.

From the Bunker

Joe Brolly was just saying in the paper today that Mayo were now the real deal and I believed him upto 2pm.

I'd base nothing on that result. Mayo lads rested, squad players getting game time and players minding themselves for more important games the next couple of weeks.

Gael80

Mayo effectively turned it into a challenge match. In saying that despite a good league, when the likes of Kerry, Dublin, Galway to name three get up to speed Mayo won't be near the All Ireland in my opinion. Mayo have looked a fair bit ahead in conditioning, maybe only matched by Derry.

WhoDat

i mean, they didn't look remotely interested in winning.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Gael80 on March 26, 2023, 04:25:48 PM

Mayo effectively turned it into a challenge match. In saying that despite a good league when the likes of Kerry, Dublin, Galway to name three get up to speed Mayo won't be near the All Ireland in my opinion. Mayo have looked a fair bit ahead in conditioning, maybe only matched by Derry.

Kerry, Dublin and Galway don't have to play a Division One team (who retained their Division one status) in a Championship match in 2 weeks time.

Gael80

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 26, 2023, 04:33:40 PM

Mayo effectively turned it into a challenge match. In saying that despite a good league when the likes of Kerry, Dublin, Galway to name three get up to speed Mayo won't be near the All Ireland in my opinion. Mayo have looked a fair bit ahead in conditioning, maybe only matched by Derry.

Kerry, Dublin and Galway don't have to play a Division One team (who retained their Division one status) in a Championship match in 2 weeks time.

Good point and it's probably the reason Mayo are a bit ahead. However my point was it's all about the All Ireland for Mayo and I don't think they'll be near it when the other contenders catch up by June, early July.

yellowcard

It was a decent game in Omagh today, plenty of mistakes by both sides but at least there was little of the backways sideways crap that we had become accustomed to as Armagh fans throughout this years League. Mayo done Monaghan a huge favour by rolling over and getting their tummies tickled and there was little chance that Tyrone would do the same for us. Tyrone played the game like it was an All Ireland final even though they had nothing at stake but Armagh only have ourselves to blame after playing negative turgid stuff for much of the League. It was always going to be difficult today without our best player and then losing Murnin also in in the first half.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Did you a favour today Monaghan buachaillí, but don't be expecting an equal concession first day out in the Ulster!  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

WhoDat

Quote from: Gael80 on March 26, 2023, 04:36:03 PM

Good point and it's probably the reason Mayo are a bit ahead. However my point was it's all about the All Ireland for Mayo and I don't think they'll be near it when the other contenders catch up by June, early July.

ah i think they will be. kerry don't look right to me and are an injury or two away from crisis, dublin lacking an identity and calling on old stalwarts reeks of desperation from dessie. don't see either getting over the line.

galway are going very well and in my opinion will win the championship. they are close to being the finished article. mayo could go close as i think a few of their players will prefer the drier ground come summer.

tyrone are there too. could take a scalp but don't see them finishing the job.

From the Bunker

You'd have to feel sorry for Armagh, the Fixtures layout seen Monaghan get a free go at Mayo.

Whishtup

Summary:
Mayo-All bluster or first year bounce for McStay? Time will tell.
Galway-gritty outfit-can beat anybody but is the self belief there to win something big?
Roscommon-tough but a bit behind Galway.
Tyrone-sobering up and some new blood-dangerous but could flop.
Kerry-not convinced this year. But they're Kerry.
Monaghan-look like they might struggle in championship.
Armagh-very disappointing. This team shouldn't be going down. McGeeney?
Donegal-bucked.

Felt for Clare in div2 . Played better than ever this year and just fell short of some big scalps but as a result going down.

From the Bunker

Quote from: WhoDat on March 26, 2023, 04:42:24 PM
Quote from: Gael80 on March 26, 2023, 04:36:03 PM

ah i think they will be. kerry don't look right to me and are an injury or two away from crisis, dublin lacking an identity and calling on old stalwarts reeks of desperation from dessie. don't see either getting over the line.

galway are going very well and in my opinion will win the championship. they are close to being the finished article. mayo could go close as i think a few of their players will prefer the drier ground come summer.

tyrone are there too. could take a scalp but don't see them finishing the job.

They (Mayo) are going in the right direction. There will always be a doubt, because they are Mayo. Just like Kerry always get mentioned in the business end because they are Kerry. Not sure about Galway. Next week will tell a small tale for both counties. Galway holding the advantage as they have a Plethora of weeks off after and can leave it all out on the Pitch!

Can't fault McStay so far. He has done rather well. Also his his PR skills are excellent (he's been at that stuff a long time). He knows the right things to say.

Wildweasel74

Just watching the Armagh game there, that's a very bad hit by the Armagh fullback, straight frontal shoulder at head high. Amazed it wasn't red, maybe more on the fact the impact swung Kennedy head bck rather than the shoulder.

SouthDublinBro

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on March 26, 2023, 05:06:41 PM
Just watching the Armagh game there, that's a very bad hit by the Armagh fullback, straight frontal shoulder at head high. Amazed it wasn't red, maybe more on the fact the impact swung Kennedy head bck rather than the shoulder.

Standard fare from that shower.

yellowcard

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on March 26, 2023, 05:06:41 PM

If your full back hadn't made the hit there you'd be asking questions off him. It looked bad as both players were travelling at speed but once he'd committed he couldn't exactly pull out it was just unfortunate for Kennedy to be on the receiving end of it.