Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mourne Red

That's been Armagh/Fermanagh fans for past 10 years Truth - Don't care about the match just want to go for a piss up. Most of them aged 18-23. Stewards Cba with them either tbf they are just volunteers not going to risk getting in a row when they're not paid for it.

ranch

Quote from: Mourne Red on May 01, 2023, 08:14:47 PM
Would agree with the keeper talk.. Thought Kane was at fault for 2/3 of the goals not commanding enough, can't fault his distribution though made most of his kickouts/passes. I think that's why Laverty has him in because we've not been the best on kickouts the past 10 or so years

In the early stages of the year O'Hare from Glenn started a few games in nets and now he seems to have disappeared from the panel. Anybody know what happened there?

Town Gael

Quote from: Mourne Red on May 02, 2023, 10:51:22 AM
That's been Armagh/Fermanagh fans for past 10 years Truth - Don't care about the match just want to go for a piss up. Most of them aged 18-23. Stewards Cba with them either tbf they are just volunteers not going to risk getting in a row when they're not paid for it.
The drunken hooligans around me at the back.of the hill were Down people from Warrenpoint/ Burren area. I was there with my young family as was the Armagh man next to me. We were in the ground an hour before throw in. About 25 mins later the crowd ofndrunks arrived. After several flares were lit, a number of which were thrown into the crowd further down the hill, the Gards  came in and threw 2 drunken lads out. That didn't stop the others lighting flares, singing songs accusing an Armagh player of being a sex offender,  completely ruining things for all those around them. After 2 flares were thrown at our feet and one was stamped on setting the ground on fire we had no choice but to move. There were children crying and upset. This would put families off going to matches.

SHEEDY

Meath, Tipperary and Waterford in Down's group for Tailtean cup
nil satis nisi optimum

urbangael

Quote from: Blackandblue2 on May 02, 2023, 08:30:45 AM
Dust has settled. Be a huge learning curve for the team. Some positives with Laverty and Mc Parland did great jobs on Turbit and O'Neil, Mc Evoy lost his battle with Murnin and forker caused problems as the free man, cant let someone with that ability kick balls into forwards unchallenged. Forwards looked nervous and shot choices were poor. The big day will be good experience for the team. Lets hope for a good run in the T cup, its exactly our level right now.

What game were you watching?? McParland was roasted by O'Neil.  Did you miss his goal!  O'Neil actually named on GAA team on the week. 

Nanderson

Quote from: urbangael on May 02, 2023, 01:24:37 PM
Dust has settled. Be a huge learning curve for the team. Some positives with Laverty and Mc Parland did great jobs on Turbit and O'Neil, Mc Evoy lost his battle with Murnin and forker caused problems as the free man, cant let someone with that ability kick balls into forwards unchallenged. Forwards looked nervous and shot choices were poor. The big day will be good experience for the team. Lets hope for a good run in the T cup, its exactly our level right now.

What game were you watching?? McParland was roasted by O'Neil.  Did you miss his goal!  O'Neil actually named on GAA team on the week.
Rian is one of the GAA darlings. The man could be sent off and he'd still make team of the week. Correct me if I'm wrong but that was his only score of the game AFAIK. Problem is that other players for Armagh stood up when their bigger players were getting well marshalled. The same could not be said for the Down team

skat man

Quote from: urbangael on April 30, 2023, 10:24:17 PM
Basic errors really cost us. Armagh got the lucky breaks. Going for points ball drops short a keeper with zero presence and bang it's in the net. Not once but twice! We needed to be taking all our chances so missing scoreable frees and dropping shorts short was criminal. The amount of people that attend Gaa matches purely for a piss up is actually embarrassing. Numerous lads and girls will need to watch the match on Monday to see what actually happened!

in your opinion armagh were lucky , going for points and balls drop short , rian oneil  roasted niall mcparland .........

In most other peoples opinion Armagh played within themselves, they had a clear tactic to put early ball in and did so from the first whistle, rian scored 1 good goal , the rest of the game he did nothing

5times5times

Is that Brannigan fella just a bit odd, or does he seek to he different? Different shorts and goofy socks make him look like a bit of an eejit

Aristo 60

Quote from: SHEEDY on May 02, 2023, 01:18:13 PM
Meath, Tipperary and Waterford in Down's group for Tailtean cup

We've both fallen far in the 32 years since '91  :-[

Blackandblue2

Quote from: urbangael on May 02, 2023, 01:24:37 PM

Did you watch the game? O neill touched the ball 2 times in the first half, 2 handpasses. Second half he had 2 shots (1 short and wide) 1 kick pass and then the goal which was well taken when Down had pushed up. 0 kickouts and 3/4 long balls broke away from him. Doesnt matter in the long run because Down were well beat but he gets special treatment. 5 or 6 Armagh players better on the day than him.

What do we think of Downs group? Good chance to progress. I notice alot more comments this week after the loss than last week after the win. Would seem some people are happier to complain than give any sort of praise

urbangael

Game of opinions I guess but I doubt many people would agree that 'Mc Parland did a great job on O'Neil'.  He had a huge influence on the game.  Scored a goal set up another and was involved in a fair bit.  8/10 in Irish news and GAA team of the week but maybe you're right and the experts are wrong. 

Would have to fancy Down to progress out of that group of Meath Tipp and Waterford.  No reason why we shouldn't top the group.

skat man

Quote from: urbangael on May 02, 2023, 04:55:58 PM
Game of opinions I guess but I doubt many people would agree that 'Mc Parland did a great job on O'Neil'.  He had a huge influence on the game.  Scored a goal set up another and was involved in a fair bit.  8/10 in Irish news and GAA team of the week but maybe you're right and the experts are wrong. 

Would have to fancy Down to progress out of that group of Meath Tipp and Waterford.  No reason why we shouldn't top the group.

experts? since when are journalists considered experts. dont believe everything you read , use your own eyes  ;)

urbangael

Do you honestly think Mcparland got the better of him? Just goes to show how people see different things!!

Nanderson

Quote from: skat man on May 02, 2023, 09:45:09 PM
Quote from: urbangael on May 02, 2023, 04:55:58 PM

experts? since when are journalists considered experts. dont believe everything you read , use your own eyes  ;)
+1

Truth hurts

Don't like looking enviously toward our neighbours in Derry but they have installed coaches (Killian Conlan, End Muldoon and Gavin McGeehan) in St Pius, St Pats Maghera and St Marys Magherafelt, mostly funded by Derry GAA. And that's 3 schools that already had good systems.

That was taken from the Antrim thread and EOC1923

The development manger  should push the coaches to be big schools as GPO's.