American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadhlancian

Cardinals took a corner tonight , Pats did as well. The Patriots have 6 picks from 32-100 I think...

Oraisteach

cadhlancian

Josh Rosen more than likely will head to the Dolphins. Landscape has changed a little for our boy Paddy Mahomes.... I'd be very surprised if the Chiefs don't cut Tyreek Hill, serious weapon to lose.

omochain

When did anyone ever get their draft picks consistently right. The rocket scientists who picked Montana and Brady waited a long time to show their genius. Remember the damn thing is a lottery.
As Napoleon said and I plagiarize loosely..." I prefer my Generals to be lucky" Maybe the Giants have a lucky General... Go Dubs

Gabriel_Hurl

gawa316

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on May 13, 2019, 02:51:12 AM
Oh my Kawhi!!!

That's was amazing!

Play offs have been the best I've seen. Warriors defeating the rockets without KD for the last 2 was pretty epic.

Looking forward to seeing Leonard v Giannis.

gallsman

Absolutely incredible. So good to see Kawhi back better than ever after the final two seasons in San Antonio.

He's a top 5 player in the league and the best two way player by a country mile.

magpie seanie

A terrible shot. Very unprofessional but sometimes they go in. Hate seeing things like that because it sends out the wrong message to kids and reinforces the cult of self versus the team. I'll probably get called a killjoy for that view but I don't mind.

AZOffaly

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 14, 2019, 09:23:21 AM
A terrible shot. Very unprofessional but sometimes they go in. Hate seeing things like that because it sends out the wrong message to kids and reinforces the cult of self versus the team. I'll probably get called a killjoy for that view but I don't mind.

Killjoy

gallsman

Yeah, when there's 4 seconds on the clock, they should really just keep working away until they get an open look or a simple layup.

Same in American football. I mean, nobody should ever try a hail Mary when there's an open slant route to pick you up 4 yards. Or try an onside kick. They almost never work.

magpie seanie

Quote from: gallsman on May 14, 2019, 12:02:40 PM
Yeah, when there's 4 seconds on the clock, they should really just keep working away until they get an open look or a simple layup.

Same in American football. I mean, nobody should ever try a hail Mary when there's an open slant route to pick you up 4 yards. Or try an onside kick. They almost never work.

Slightly missing the point I feel. Reaction to it sends out the wrong message "Kawhi called the series" was the main comment. Meaning he took it into his own hands and decided - I'm going to win this. He got lucky. Sports media is full of all these terms like clutch and bottler which are largely bullsit narratives. He's probably a victim to this and felt he HAD to do this as he's the big name player. I strongly disagree with it.

screenexile

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 14, 2019, 01:30:54 PM

Slightly missing the point I feel. Reaction to it sends out the wrong message "Kawhi called the series" was the main comment. Meaning he took it into his own hands and decided - I'm going to win this. He got lucky. Sports media is full of all these terms like clutch and bottler which are largely bullsit narratives. He's probably a victim to this and felt he HAD to do this as he's the big name player. I strongly disagree with it.

That's what American sports is about "big players make big plays".

It was class and we've seen Lebron/Jordan/Steph make these types of shots in the last moments of games. . . sure they've missed plenty but Kawhi had a second on the clock and nothing to lose in going for it so why not??

Gabriel_Hurl

Ugh - he did ....... he pretty much won the series for the Raptors

Quote@nbastats

Kawhi Leonard's 243 points in the Conference Semifinals are the 3rd most in a series post-merger (since 1977):

260   1977 Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, LAL
246   1993 Michael Jordan, CHI
243   2019 Kawhi Leonard, TOR
241   2018 LeBron James, CLE
236   2001 Allen Iverson, PHI

gallsman

Oh, i get your point perfectly. I'm just pointing out that it's nonsense.

Kawhi's stats in the series were otherworldly levels of good. He did win it for them. That's how basketball works. Your best players with the best experience and the biggest balls take the shot unless there's something obviously better on.

As for getting lucky, shots go in off the rim all the time. Is every shot that isn't a perfect swish lucky? How much of the fact that he knew he had to shoot it at an unusually high arc trajectory as 7 foot Joel embiid closed him down, did so successfully and converted it was down to luck, at opposed to him simply being brilliant at basketball? 5%? 20%? 50%?

Maiden1

Quote from: gallsman on May 14, 2019, 07:02:13 PM

Oh, i get your point perfectly. I'm just pointing out that it's nonsense.

Kawhi's stats in the series were otherworldly levels of good. He did win it for them. That's how basketball works. Your best players with the best experience and the biggest balls take the shot unless there's something obviously better on.

As for getting lucky, shots go in off the rim all the time. Is every shot that isn't a perfect swish lucky? How much of the fact that he knew he had to shoot it at an unusually high arc trajectory as 7 foot Joel embiid closed him down, did so successfully and converted it was down to luck, at opposed to him simply being brilliant at basketball? 5%? 20%? 50%?
https://www.nba.com/raptors/stats

53.9 fg% the right guy took the final shot, probably called in huddle.

Not sure he had time to lay it off.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ieumo-iYMbg&feature=onebox
There are no proofs, only opinions.