Kennelly now not coming home?

Started by stephenite, January 08, 2009, 12:34:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephenite

KERRY'S AFL star Tadhg Kennelly has finally called time on his Aussie Rules career after months of speculation, with the Listowel man understood to have met with management at Sydney Swans this week to confirm his intention to return home.

The Kerryman understands that the Listowel star, who had enjoyed Christmas and new year celebrations at home in Listowel, travelled back to Sydney at the weekend to meet with management and confirm that he would not be signing a new contract with the club.

In August 2006, Kennelly committed to the Syndey Swans for a further three years, but said at the time that it would be his last spell with the Premiership winning side. Since early last year he has made no secret of his desire to win an AllIreland medal with Kerry and it appears he has finally confirmed this intention.

It is understood that the 26year-old held talks with Sydney Swans management on Monday and Tuesday, where he confirmed that he would not be signing a new contract after seven seasons with the club.

In March of last year, Kennelly expressed in no uncertain terms his desire to lift the Sam Maguire, telling a national newspaper that he was, "definitely going home next year to try to win an AllIreland medal."

Since then, however, speculation has been mounting as to whether or not he would sign with the Sydney Swans for one more season and then return to Kerry, but it appears that is not to be.

Kennelly, who became the first Irish man to claim an AFL title when the Sydney Swans captured the league title in 2005, has suffered a series of serious leg and shoulder injuries in the last two years, which have become major setbacks to his AFL career.

It is understood that following this week's meetings with Swans management, Kennelly will return to Kerry full time within the next two weeks.

His return would be seen as a major boost to Kerry's bid to regain the Sam Maguire. A former underage footballer with the Kingdom, Kennelly would be seen as either a perfect midfield partner to, or replacement for, Darragh Ó Sé, or the solution to Kerry's full back problems.

- MARISA REIDY mreidy@kerryman.ie

Hardy

Best of luck and huge respect to Tadhg, who is a credit to his sport(s), his family and his county. And in the true spirit of sport, thirty one counties will unite in fervently wishing that he fails to achieve his cherished sporting ambition.

AFS

I don't think I'll be on my own when I say, 'I'll believe it when I see it'.

Bod Mor

Just after buying a Swans season ticket. Ah well!

How many injuries has he had in the last couple of seasons. It is time he called it a day if he has any intentions of playing for Kerry. He knows this himself and I expect it is one of the major reasons for his decision.

Anyway best of luck to him with Kerry next season. CHB or midfielder, what do ye reckon?
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

stephenite

Quote from: AFS on January 08, 2009, 12:48:52 AM
I don't think I'll be on my own when I say, 'I'll believe it when I see it'.

Me too - think he has still a year left to run on his current contract at least and I'd be surprised if the Swans would be willing to let him walk out on that. I don't think we'll see him playing for the Kingdom this season at least

RedandGreenSniper

Such comments have come out before around contract time and not to be cynical but he is from Kerry, therefore the words 'cute' and 'hoor' must also spring to mind

Whenever he does come back, he'll be an outstanding midfielder imo and, if he stays free from injuries, I reckon he'll be a shoo-in for an All Star in his first year
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

5 Sams

Quote from: stephenite on January 08, 2009, 12:34:50 AM
KERRY'S AFL star Tadhg Kennelly has finally called time on his Aussie Rules career after months of speculation, with the Listowel man understood to have met with management at Sydney Swans this week to confirm his intention to return home.

Fcuk it ....thats all we need :-\ :-\ :'(.

But seriously good luck to him....I remember The Horse...if he's half as good he'll be some addition.
The Aristocrat Years

Bod Mor

MARISA REIDY said
QuoteIt is understood that the 26year-old held talks with Sydney Swans

Colm O'Connor said
QuoteOne local report yesterday in The Kerryman newspaper claimed 28-year-old Kennelly met with Sydney Swans

;D

footywire.com.au said
QuoteTadhg Kennelly   
#17   Sydney Swans 
Age: 27yr 6mth     Games: 158     Born: July 1, 1981     
Height: 189cm     Weight: 90kg     Position: Defender 

Can't even get his age right!
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

GalwayBayBoy