building a house

Started by JPF, July 23, 2009, 01:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: WT4E on May 17, 2022, 02:23:43 PM
Also interested in the solar but didn't have the money when building to provide for them

I wonder will there be grants coming back on renewables with the way the world is heading or did Cash for Ash finish this!!!!

I put on evacuated tubes, purely hot water back 14 odd years ago and think it's a great job for hot water over the summer and also with a bit of direct sunlight during the winter would lift the ambient temp in the tank to 30 odd degrees so the oil has to do less to get the heat up a bit.

Ethan Tremblay

Was considering solar's myself, has anyone any ideas about electric solar panels? Any use?

My thinking would be along the lines of yourselves, stick the immersion on for hot water during the summer and have the solar's take the bite out of that. 

Regarding the exuberant houses going up, how can they face the rates bills every year. 
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

thebigfella

Solar water not really worth the investment, PV may be more expensive but ROI much better. If you are using a heat pump, it can be hooked to battery for hot water anyway which is more efficient. If you have an electric car, the PV also can directly be used to charge it during the day.

RedHand88

Anyone go with an underground oil tank? Is it a handlin/expensive to put in?

Thinking of the benefits - harder to steal, out of sight, no smell etc

From the Bunker

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 01, 2022, 08:23:01 PM

Don't be putting expense on yourself in regard to a presently volatile resource.

If Oil goes belly up you are left with a Tank in the ground that is good for nothing.

Put the Tank in a Cage if you need protection from being stolen. Put plantation, shrubs, creepers around it if you want to camouflage.

Bottom line...........don't invest in something that looks to have no future.

armaghniac

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 01, 2022, 09:43:12 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on August 01, 2022, 08:23:01 PM

Don't be putting expense on yourself in regard to a presently volatile resource.

If Oil goes belly up you are left with a Tank in the ground that is good for nothing.

Put the Tank in a Cage if you need protection from being stolen. Put plantation, shrubs, creepers around it if you want to camouflage.

Bottom line...........don't invest in something that looks to have no future.

Exactly. If you are going to dig up the garden then put in pipes for a heat pump or similar.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

RedHand88

Cheers lads. Should have said its a new build so digging up the garden is no hassle as there is no garden yet. Thing holding me back was the cost of the tank itself.

Are heat pumps a viable option yet?

johnnycool

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 02, 2022, 09:05:08 AM
Cheers lads. Should have said its a new build so digging up the garden is no hassle as there is no garden yet. Thing holding me back was the cost of the tank itself.

Most oil tanks are gravity fed, so if you sink it in the garden, where are you putting the oil burner?

Oil doesn't flow uphill.

balladmaker

My oil tank is approx. 6 feet below the burner over a run of about 20 yards, tiger loop was used to lift the oil uphill.  No idea how it works, but it hasn't let me down as yet.

johnnycool

Quote from: balladmaker on August 02, 2022, 10:13:19 AM
My oil tank is approx. 6 feet below the burner over a run of about 20 yards, tiger loop was used to lift the oil uphill.  No idea how it works, but it hasn't let me down as yet.

There you go, every day is a school day.

God14

Quote from: balladmaker on August 02, 2022, 10:13:19 AM

Your circulating pump is lifting the oil uphill, the Tiger loop is a deaerator. It removes any air that would otherwise interrupt the supply of oil to the boiler.

blewuporstuffed

Has anyone went for K Rend for a new build?is it worth the extra money?
Any issues with it going green ( we have a lot of trees around the site.)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

trueblue1234

Got k rend about 5 years ago with a new build. Nice job and no issues with it turning green ( had heard that was an issue alright). Plenty of mature trees in the garden as well with no issues.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

RedHand88

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on August 06, 2022, 04:13:12 PM
Has anyone went for K Rend for a new build?is it worth the extra money?
Any issues with it going green ( we have a lot of trees around the site.)

Yes just got it put on. Great looking finish and well worth it. Get the one that is the most waterproof. Plasterers warned me about it turning green as there a line of trees close to one side. I've heard there's stuff you can put on one a year that keeps algae away.

stiff breeze

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 02, 2022, 09:05:08 AM

Air source heat pumps in conjunction with solar panels and plenty of insulation and air tightness is a viable option