Previous topic - Next topic

Which sport is more enjoyable

Soccer
20 (58.8%)
Rugby
14 (41.2%)

Total Members Voted: 34

sligoman2

I was really looking forward to the Euros but most of the games have been rubbish.  Most of the goals have been in the last few minutes.  Ireland had a good showing but only scored 3 goals in four games which is one goal every two hours.  I'm watching Poland and Portugal at the moment and I'm falling asleep with boredom.  I used to be a big Arsenal fan but honestly find it hard to watch live soccer any more due to diving and lack of goals and lack of enjoyment.

Time to change the offside rule or abandon it.  Most of the action seems to be coming from the fans in the stands.  Never thought I would say this but I would much prefer to watch rugby.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

sligoman2

I take it back there was some action - some clown just ran onto the pitch.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

mrdeeds

Lots of goals doesn't always mean quality. I've enjoyed it so far. Three goals is more than Ireland usually scores at an international tournament.

lenny

Quote from: sligoman2 on June 30, 2016, 10:18:46 PM
I was really looking forward to the Euros but most of the games have been rubbish.  Most of the goals have been in the last few minutes.  Ireland had a good showing but only scored 3 goals in four games which is one goal every two hours.  I'm watching Poland and Portugal at the moment and I'm falling asleep with boredom.  I used to be a big Arsenal fan but honestly find it hard to watch live soccer any more due to diving and lack of goals and lack of enjoyment.

Time to change the offside rule or abandon it.  Most of the action seems to be coming from the fans in the stands.  Never thought I would say this but I would much prefer to watch rugby.

Totally agree. I can hardly watch a live game now. I tend to record the highlights programs and watch those. Teams are generally well organised defensively but are afraid to commit men forward. Also I've yet to see any player show a bit of skill to dribble past a ouple of opponents. There's just no flair or excitement.

An Watcher

I concur, I think the lack of physicality in the game now has made it almost unwatchable.   Rugby is definitely a better watch and that is from someone who never played rugby in their life

rrhf

Soccor needs to learn from GAA.  A square ball instead of offside would improve this monstrous muck of a sport.  Also the big problem is that in 12 years time the top players won't play at national level.

Gold

Quote from: lenny on June 30, 2016, 10:36:09 PM
Quote from: sligoman2 on June 30, 2016, 10:18:46 PM

Totally agree. I can hardly watch a live game now. I tend to record the highlights programs and watch those. Teams are generally well organised defensively but are afraid to commit men forward. Also I've yet to see any player show a bit of skill to dribble past a ouple of opponents. There's just no flair or excitement.

I agree. Wales v Russia game was great as Bale took boys on like he was playing in the playground

Very few players like that or Georgia Best anymore. 

That was boring as f**k tonight but then so is the GAA at present
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Mikhail Prokhorov

only way to improve it is less players. 9 a side would be fine.

Tony Baloney

Can't compare group matches to knockout stages where the fear of losing overtakes the will to win and inevitably makes teams take fewer risks.

GJL

Highlights is the way to watch football now a days. Full 90 minutes can be hard work.

screenexile

Quote from: rrhf on June 30, 2016, 11:03:21 PM
Soccor needs to learn from GAA.  A square ball instead of offside would improve this monstrous muck of a sport.  Also the big problem is that in 12 years time the top players won't play at national level.

GAA is just as unwatchable in its present form!!

seafoid

Quote from: An Watcher on June 30, 2016, 10:57:45 PM
I concur, I think the lack of physicality in the game now has made it almost unwatchable.   Rugby is definitely a better watch and that is from someone who never played rugby in their life
Soccer needs more concussion then
90 minutes is too long when it is nil nil. You will never get that time back
The game is highly technical and only gets interesting a lot of the time when the players get tired.   
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

laoislad

Quote from: screenexile on July 01, 2016, 02:47:51 AM
Quote from: rrhf on June 30, 2016, 11:03:21 PM

GAA is just as unwatchable in its present form!!
+1
I've lost a lot of interest in Gaelic Football in particular. Would very rarely watch a full game anymore and have only been to a handful of games in the last few years and find myself caring less and less who wins. If Laois win great, if they don't then I don't really get bothered like I did before.
Hard to bate a good hurling match and it tops any sport imo but even that hasn't had the same top quality games lately, though it's still streets ahead of Gaelic Football IMO
There are soccer games that can be boring as hell alright,but there can still be some fantastic games.
I think some maybe posting here only watch the bigger games expecting every game to be exciting because there are bigger names playing.
I've watched some fantastic games last season involving less fashionable teams from la liga and the championship and the other European leagues.
I wouldn't watch a Rugby game to save my life. Now that's a boring game to watch.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

bennydorano

I've really fell out of love with GAA myself, haven't travelled at all this year, watching games on tv while reading the paper mostly because they've been that shit. Euros have been enjoyable enough imo.

No wides

It has always been unwatchable - nothing much has changed, except folk of late pay a fortune to watch shite matches week in week out.