Surely to god It's time to stop the nonsense and introduce a clock

Started by sligoman2, August 03, 2014, 05:58:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sligoman2

Another example today of why a clock should be introduced, that way there is no confusion around how much time is left.  I can't understand why they won't do it unless it's to give teams a chance to draw so they can make money on a replay.

I would also suggest that the clock is stopped in the last two minutes once the ball is not in play and at any time at the refs discretion for injuries etc...

Some examples of where the clock would have avoided controversy.

1) ai final kerry v Dublin 2011, cluxton takes about a minute and a half to kick the winning score
2) Connacht final 2010, Donnie Shine lies on the ground for about a minute and a half in injury time with no additional time added
3) last years Ai final with killian o'connor
4) Today

I have asked for a clock in the past and today I think is the icing on the cake.  I know the traditionalists will vehemently disagree but I think the right thing to do is bring in the clock starting with the league next year.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

manfromdelmonte

Really? 2010 Connacht final? Still bitter over that?

But you are right. a clock and hooter is the way to go.

sligoman2

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on August 03, 2014, 06:00:19 PM
Really? 2010 Connacht final? Still bitter over that?

But you are right. a clock and hooter is the way to go.

Yes I'm still not over it. 

In my opinion, watching players waste time with dragging, faking injuries etc is a major negative and should be addressed. 
Another example was the previous free for cork where the mayo cb stopped them getting the ball for about 20 seconds.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: sligoman2 on August 03, 2014, 05:58:35 PM
Another example today of why a clock should be introduced, that way there is no confusion around how much time is left.  I can't understand why they won't do it unless it's to give teams a chance to draw so they can make money on a replay.

I would also suggest that the clock is stopped in the last two minutes once the ball is not in play and at any time at the refs discretion for injuries etc...

1) ai final kerry v Dublin 2011, cluxton takes about a minute and a half to kick the winning score
2) Connacht final 2010, Donnie Shine lies on the ground for about a minute and a half in injury time with no additional time added
4) Today

I have asked for a clock in the past and today I think is the icing on the cake.  I know the traditionalists will vehemently disagree but I think the right thing to do is bring in the clock starting with the league next year.

100% ladies football and all levels of amateur basketball can do it. A simple solution to a very annoying problem.
#newbridgeornowhere

Syferus

heffo

As has been highlighted many times, Cluxton took less time coming up from his goal for that free than Sheehan's free around 60 minutes, when he adjusted his socks, checked the wind and went through his routing. Don't let the facts get in the way though.

Jell 0 Biafra

4) Today

I hope whatever clock they bring in is more accurate than yours.

thejuice

I totally agree. The nonsense that we had today and last years final is really maddening. It really puts a dampener on what was becoming an exciting finish to both those games.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Syferus

Quote from: thejuice on August 03, 2014, 07:35:03 PM
I totally agree. The nonsense that we had today and last years final is really maddening. It really puts a dampener on what was becoming an exciting finish to both those games.

Surely both were the attacking teams' faults, did the referee in either case directly say there would be time for one more passage of play? Any referee that would say that then blow up would deserve to be thrown off the elite panel immediately.

From the Bunker

Why did the cork player not go for goal? He should know by now that a Referees word mean diddley when it comes to last kick of the game stuff. There is a litany of this happening over the years. The time was up! Cillian O'Connor did the same in last year AI final. Once you are out of Normal time and added time its a lottery as to what the referee will do.

Zulu

I think Colm O'Neill has said on twitter that the ref said there was one minute left but extra time is a lottery and really needs to be cleaned up.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Zulu on August 03, 2014, 08:13:46 PM
I think Colm O'Neill has said on twitter that the ref said there was one minute left but extra time is a lottery and really needs to be cleaned up.

One minute does not be long going. Between the time to take the free, time for Goalie to collect the ball from behind the goal, the time for goalie to place the ball, time for the Goalie to look to where he is going to kick the ball to and finally to kick the damn thing! The Goalie in such circumstances will be in no hurry.

Mac2

The hooter system is supposed to come in next year and the rule changes required put to Congress.

Syferus

Quote from: Mac2 on August 03, 2014, 08:33:48 PM
The hooter system is supposed to come in next year and the rule changes required put to Congress.

Thought the GAA cooled on the hooter idea after the Sigerson final, certainly in that form.

Hardy

There's no use bringing in a hooter system without some means of dealing with time-wasting in the last few minutes, or things would get even worse than they are now. The referee (or, better still, the timekeeper) needs to be able to stop the clock in the last few minutes if lads are fluting around preventing a free being taken or starting a pushing and shoving match just to use up time, or the goalie stops to tie his laces before the kickout. At present the referee has the option of factoring this in (though hardly any of them do).

Maybe you could have a five minute hooter to indicate the start of ball-in-play timing. After that, the timekeeper keeps the clock stopped all the time the ball is not in play.