Sligo v Galway June 21st markievicz park

Started by sligoman2, June 09, 2014, 11:00:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sligoman2

Well now that the mayo v Roscommon game is in the books we can see what the views are on Sligo v Galway.  I have not heard much from either camp but would expect Galway to be big favorites based on their London trip.

We have a decent record against Galway lately but I'm sure Galway will be out for revenge.

I hear Marren might be injured which would be a big blow as I recall he scored about 2-6 the last time we played Galway.

Any updates or opinions on either team would be appreciated
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Syferus

Heard Marren could be out alright. Could be the difference in what could be a tight match. I assume Niall Murphy can fill in ably at 14? Talented big fecker. Is David Kelly going ok?

GalwayBayBoy

Galway team will probably be similar to the London game. Paul Conroy is expected to return from injury though so will probably take someone's place. Hard to tell exactly who though.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Bojangles

Love to see Sligo come through this and win but unfortunately think it will be Galway reasonably comfortably. Still, sands might be starting to shift in Connacht and Sligo always give them a game. Galway I think will also benefit from this and could take Mayo in the final.

mouview

Don't think Conroy will be right, according to what I hear. Galway's recent record v Sligo (home and elsewhere) isn't great and their form isn't anything to write home about either, though Sligo's isn't hectic too I suppose. Will probably be a tight match with a final against a rather off-form Mayo the incentive. If Galway are firm favourites, so be it, don't think it will matter on the pitch.

moysider

Looking forward to seeing this now. I ve been to a few cracking games in the province as a neutral down the years. It s great to see other supporters squirm for a change :)

mayo.mick

Will be heading down to it myself, looking forward to it!
mayo for sam-don't ask me what year! :-)
https://michaelmaye.com/mayo-gaa-photos/
@mayo_mick

An Fhairche Abu

Going by the Sligo supporters here is doesn't sound like Sligo are in much of a good place at the moment, Galway aren't either to be fair, I'd disregard the London result as the exiles were simply awful on the day.

Bookies have Galway favourites but how much of this is down to mythical "reputation", Sligo have a much better record in these games the past few years, have home advantage and they will have no fear of Galway, very hard to call the match, probably won't be much in it either way.

It's hard to see Galway or Sligo giving Mayo any sort of a match in Castlebar, especially after the tough Roscommon outing where they just about eked out the win, that'll bring them on a lot more than the hammerings they dished out in Connacht last year, they won't be as bad the next day out and even Mayo on an off day should have enough to take care of either Galway or Sligo barring some huge unforeseen improvement from one of the sides.

seafoid

Galway may not be that bad. They had a bad shtart to the league and lost the first 3 but the home run was much improved and they were good against London. the u21s are being integrated and some of them are handy. You wouldn't know...
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Syferus

Hoe tall does Marty reckon Tom Flynn is this year? 6'9? 6'10?

Blowitupref

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 10, 2014, 03:35:32 PM
It's hard to see Galway or Sligo giving Mayo any sort of a match in Castlebar, especially after the tough Roscommon outing where they just about eked out the win, that'll bring them on a lot more than the hammerings they dished out in Connacht last year, they won't be as bad the next day out and even Mayo on an off day should have enough to take care of either Galway or Sligo barring some huge unforeseen improvement from one of the sides.
Aren't Sligo entitled to a neutral venue for any senior Connacht final they reach?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Rossfan

They are indeed but no doubt Salthill will be declared unfit for a CF if it's a Rhu/sligo one. ::) ??? :-X
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Blowitupref on June 11, 2014, 04:15:16 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 10, 2014, 03:35:32 PM
Aren't Sligo entitled to a neutral venue for any senior Connacht final they reach?

They are, however the Hyde or Páirc Seán Mac Diarmada can't be used and I have a feeling that some reason will crop up to keep a Mayo-Sligo match out of Galway city should that be the Connacht final pairing, could be very wrong but that's my guess.

macdanger2

What's holding up the rossies from fixing up the Hyde??

And are we not due a home game against sligo next time out??