Premium sports fiasco

Started by sligoman2, September 08, 2013, 10:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sligoman2

Not sure if any of ye tried to watch the game overseas on the internet but neither the minor match or the senior match were watchable as the sevice was frozen and we could only see a few mins in total.
Some very annoyed customers tonight i paid $200 for the season and others paid $30 for the mAtch.  They better get it right the next day or there will be a war. 
Very disappointing -
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Syferus

Quote from: sligoman2 on September 08, 2013, 10:19:25 PM
Not sure if any of ye tried to watch the game overseas on the internet but neither the minor match or the senior match were watchable as the sevice was frozen and we could only see a few mins in total.
Some very annoyed customers tonight i paid $200 for the season and others paid $30 for the mAtch.  They better get it right the next day or there will be a war. 
Very disappointing -

Watched the 2011 football finals in the US on Priemer with no problems. They need to be offering free coverage of the replay to anyone who bought a pass for the final.

sligoman2

I agree - not a lot of consolation to cork and clare people who were waiting all day for the service to work. If sligo were playing i would have put me foot through the computer. The frustrating part is that premium should have known there would be a high demand for the game and should have made the necessary changes to servers etc. ...

cadhlancian

Wifi is the problem. Premium sports use iptv boxes in bars, and use USTREAM as an independent contractor to online customers. A secure cable connection will eliminate most problems. Wifi, no matter how brilliant you think yours is, is a bad way to stream over the Internet .

J70

Frustrating as f**k when that happens!

That said, they've been fine, at least on the UStream broadcast in the US, for the past few seasons. Don't know about yesterday as I didn't get a chance to watch it.

sligoman2

Premium sports said the problem was with servers in Dublin.  It had been great all year until yesterday.a lot of p'od customers yesterday, reading the online comments was enjoyable as people blamed it on hawk eye' Assad etc....

Eamonnca1

Quote from: cadhlancian on September 09, 2013, 05:13:13 AM
Wifi is the problem. Premium sports use iptv boxes in bars, and use USTREAM as an independent contractor to online customers. A secure cable connection will eliminate most problems. Wifi, no matter how brilliant you think yours is, is a bad way to stream over the Internet .

Say what? Wifi is only on your local network, I've been streaming to my TV from a Roku box via wifi for years without a problem.

J70

Got an email from Premium Sports today apologizing for the hurling final failure.

By way of compensation, they're extending the season pass to cover next year's national league. Pretty good deal if you ask me! :)

cadhlancian

Eamon, I'm not saying yours isn't fine. It is highly unreliable for any form of Internet streaming , a hard cable is definitely the way to go. Unfortunately that's just the way it goes!

Syferus

Quote from: cadhlancian on September 12, 2013, 04:59:59 AM
Eamon, I'm not saying yours isn't fine. It is highly unreliable for any form of Internet streaming , a hard cable is definitely the way to go. Unfortunately that's just the way it goes!

Twice you've missed the point that this was an entire system outage, probably due to bandwidth overload.

You're also overselling the problem with wifi reliability even if ethernet cabling is preferable in an ideal scenario.

cadhlancian

If it was a system outage then fair enough, I wasn't aware that was the reason. Bandwidth wouldn't be the problem? That's the only thing they show in the US! Also, I live in the USA and I sell iptv boxes ( Internet ) to many Irish / English customers, wifi is a problem, fact! But then again , you know more than everyone else .........

Syferus

Quote from: cadhlancian on September 13, 2013, 07:11:44 PM
If it was a system outage then fair enough, I wasn't aware that was the reason. Bandwidth wouldn't be the problem? That's the only thing they show in the US! Also, I live in the USA and I sell iptv boxes ( Internet ) to many Irish / English customers, wifi is a problem, fact! But then again , you know more than everyone else .........

Wifi isn't ideal but as long as you've got a decent router it's perfectly acceptable for streaming. Media servers, NAS (to be clear, I'm talking about remote streaming of content specifically) and the like would be pretty fecking useless if wifi wasn't fit for purpose. Obviously there are environmental situations that can make a minority of wifi networks more unreliable but I never said it couldn't be a problem.

You trade off a bit of reliability for flexibility with wifi. If you can run a cable or get a power line adaptor all well and good but that isn't always feasible and it'd be wrong to put a generic warning about ever using wifi for streaming content, locally or over the internet. Far too many are doing that in my experience and it's just needlessly terrifying non tech savvy people.

You're not the only one with a background in tech, smart-arse.

imtommygunn

Why is wifi a problem  for these iptv boxes?? There should be no problem streaming content via wifi.

cadhlancian

It just is Tommygun. There are lot more factors involved with wifi than there are with a hard cable. It defienetly can be hit or miss. The iptv boxes I have all have RTE 1 and 2 on them, TNG, TV3 , BBC 1 , ITV , Channel 4 etc, and in using a hard cable, it NEVER blinks, perfect. My router is sitting beside my tv , and if I go on wifi mode, it is still very good, albeit not as good as the hard cable. Every situation for using wifi is different I guess.

sligoman2

Very decent gesture on the part of premium sports, they assured us there will not be a recurrence and i hope they are right