Mayo Millionaire backer withholds Money

Started by TheGreatest, September 26, 2019, 08:59:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephenite

Quote from: Blowitupref on December 08, 2019, 11:51:59 PM
Is that the real Tim O'Leary on twitter tweeting about Mayo GAA buying curtains and fun sized bananas with his money/donation or is it a parody account?

::)

weareros

Quote from: Blowitupref on December 08, 2019, 11:51:59 PM
Is that the real Tim O'Leary on twitter tweeting about Mayo GAA buying curtains and fun sized bananas with his money/donation or is it a parody account?

If he is willing to swing his Willy for England, that is fairly tame:

magpie seanie

The inter county arms race has led to this craziness. There needs to be a stop put to it.

Maroon Manc

Mayo related, One of my mates a Mancunian with Mayo heritage who shares a name with a certain Mayo midfielder received an email from an Aussie Rules club yesterday by mistake regarding last weekends trials  ;D

joemamas

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 11, 2019, 08:18:14 PM
The inter county arms race has led to this craziness. There needs to be a stop put to it.

Spot on.

It is becoming moneyball.

Problem is how do you stop it, Will Dublin dispense with a back room team of 20 or 30 to 10.
How much money goes to doctors, physios etc. How subjective are all the treatments. How much is spent nutrition, and on and on.

blast05

Introduce a 'budget cap' per county senior team ... somewhat similar to professional team sports in US.
Travelling expenses to be taken care of centrally.

There are of course 101 details and challenges but i haven't time to run through the 10 or so i can think of off-hand!!
Ultimately, there is no challenge or constraint or factor in all of this that should block it if people ultimately want to save the sport at inter-county level.

Quote from: joemamas on December 12, 2019, 01:25:20 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on December 11, 2019, 08:18:14 PM

Spot on.

It is becoming moneyball.

Problem is how do you stop it, Will Dublin dispense with a back room team of 20 or 30 to 10.
How much money goes to doctors, physios etc. How subjective are all the treatments. How much is spent nutrition, and on and on.

Tubberman

Quote from: Maroon Manc on December 12, 2019, 12:52:51 PM
Mayo related, One of my mates a Mancunian with Mayo heritage who shares a name with a certain Mayo midfielder received an email from an Aussie Rules club yesterday by mistake regarding last weekends trials  ;D

What was the gist of the contents!?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

rosnarun

come
Quote from: Tubberman on December 12, 2019, 02:11:13 PM

don't brush it under the Matt
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Tubberman

Quote from: rosnarun on December 12, 2019, 03:16:35 PM
come

Well I know that but I was wondering was it a "pack your bags" or "thanks but no thanks" type mail.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Cunny Funt

come

It was stated elsewhere that top 4 performers in the recent AFL combine in Dublin will be invited over to Australia in April  to train in front of AFL teams. Mayo duo Matthew Ruane and Oisin Mullin were among the top performers.

joemamas

Quote from: Cunny Funt on December 12, 2019, 04:23:28 PM
come

It was stated elsewhere that top 4 performers in the recent AFL combine in Dublin will be invited over to Australia in April  to train in front of AFL teams. Mayo duo Matthew Ruane and Oisin Mullin were among the top performers.

More good news  >:( if true

Lar Naparka

Quote from: TheGreatest on December 16, 2019, 02:49:34 PM
https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/joe-brolly-vertical-blinds-funsize-bananas-and-mass-incompetence-county-boards-are-even-worse-than-we-thought-38785311.html

:o
"The focus was and remains participation and coaching. Dublin spent €1.2m on coaching this year. In that same period, it cost €1m to run the Mayo senior team. Dublin have 52 full-time coaches in schools and small clubs. Their salaries are around €30,000, with the clubs making a contribution towards the cost.
Mayo have four full-time coaches, and two working 19 hours a week. Eight extra coaches in Mayo would cost them around €250,000 and would — pro rata — give them more coaches than the Dubs. Instead, like most counties, the money is disappearing down the black hole of the senior county team, including vertical blinds and fun-size bananas and God only knows what else. No wonder there is civil war in Mayo between the county board and the clubs."

I too read his article and while I have no reason to back the Mayo county board, I think he is being economical with the truth here. He should be able to express his POV without distorting the facts.
By far the greatest items of expenditure are the costs of travelling and accommodation. This season Mayo played nine championship matches and had to travel to New York for the opening game.
With 10 0f the panel residing in Dublin, they travel costs have to be factored in  also. Dublin play most of their games in Croker and have all their players living in the county so Brolly wasn't comparing like with like here and he knew it.
To call  him a devious bullocks would be the understatement of the year.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

bannside

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/dublin-gaas-annual-commercial-income-breaks-through-the-2m-barrier-38779148.html

The £1.3 million that Joseph alludes to in todays Irish indo is slightly beneath the £4.37m expenditure outlined in this weekend article by Colm Keys. As you say Lar, there is more than a touch of Joe twisting the facts to suit his agenda of the day (which of course may change with the wind tomorrow lol).