Laser eye surgery

Started by supersarsfields, October 02, 2007, 09:57:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

heganboy

snowed under has a point (in one of his posts- not the braille one), there is a risk, but it is surgery  there is always a risk.
I had to sign a waiver that the procedure has only been in use for 14 years, and that I was undertaking it at my own risk, I also had to sign off on all of the hazards of what could go wrong (there's about 20 things) and those could include the need for a corneal transplant (not good, trust me)
However as with anything else (sober) I weighed the risk and went for it, so far so good.
Your call, one that I'm glad I made
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

DirtyDozen12

Quote from: supersarsfields on October 02, 2007, 09:57:39 AM
Just wondering if anyone on the board here has had this done. Thinking about getting it done myself in the near future. Would be great to get rid of the lenses and the glasses.
Anyone any first hand experience of it?

Sarsfields, did you get this surgery done at the time?  How successful was it and who did you use in the North here?  Cheers.
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!

stiffler

Many people here got treatment done in Belfast ? any reports on the Optmax on Lisburn Rd?

Got a quote for the Lasik Intralase Wavefront treatment, £2400.

Don't know a whole lot about this surgery at this stage, any advice welcome!
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Any of the lads who have got this done, is it really sore and for how long?
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

rolloutking

Im getting it done but just have to decide where.

Optimax on Lisburn Road quoted £1200
Optical Express in Victoria Square quoted £1500
Ultralase on lisburn road quoted £3000

There seems to be a vast difference in price with each company telling me that they have the best lasers and the others are no good. Don't know who to go for. Has anyone has any experience with Ultralase?

haranguerer

:D

My question would have been 'Has anyone any experience with Optimax?'!!

Muzz

I went with Optical Express about year and a half ago, mate got his done about 2 years ago at the same place.

Anyone that is thinking about it - take my advice - dont think about it get it done.  Best decision I ever made in my life.  No more contacts, glasses steaming up, needing wiped everytime it rains!!!

I have vouchers from Optical Express that give you £300 off as well if you are referred.  Let me know and I'll hoke them out.

Christmas Lights

Done a search and great to find a thread like this.
I was reading through the topic and looked online at Optimax in Belfast.  They have 4 Treatments as below, all at different costs as below.

Does anyone know what the difference is in these and is there much of a difference between the most expensive and the least expensive?
Really need to get this done sooner rather than later  :-[

Muzz

Not sure in the real differences between them but the recovery time is less the higher up the list you go.

Also I was told that the dearest laser on your list would lead to a better result.  Though they probably would say that.

Christmas Lights

Quote from: Muzz on November 22, 2011, 09:08:35 PM
Not sure in the real differences between them but the recovery time is less the higher up the list you go.

Also I was told that the dearest laser on your list would lead to a better result.  Though they probably would say that.

Just salesman talk i would imagine Muzz.
Went for a consultation in Belfast yesterday with Optilase.
They say I need LASIK treatment with wavefront. The cost is £2590 (£1295 per eye). It is an extra £300 per eye to use Intralase for creating the flap.

I went into optical express today and asked them for a price list. "We dont have price lists, we need to do a consultation before we give a price" 

Does this mean that I have to get an eye exam for every company I want to persue?
Definately want to get it done but just want the cheapest price obviously as I assume they are all working off the same procedures / technology

Anyone recommend a good company to use in the Belfast area?

Muzz

I used Optical Express and treatment was spot on.  All appointments on time.  Follow up appointments etc.

maddog

A friend of mine is his early 40's had it done a few years ago and he is in the "never looked back" camp. Im a glasses wearer of 15 years at least now and its a pain in the ass especially for when im out cycling and that. I suppose id consider the eye surgery now that im hitting the ass of a similar age but unlike yer man in question not the other cosmetic alterations.

under the bar

The cheaper LASEK option is the older more known about system thats been around for 20-30 years or so now.  Its where they burn off a layer of the eye and obviously the most uncomfortable for days afterwards, even up to a week.   

The more expensive LASEK option is relatively new, 10-15 years.  Involves slicing a flap, lifint it bak and buring underneath, then closing the flap over again and the WAVEFRONT kind of seals the flap again, kick-starting the healing process.

I have LASEK done and was fine afterwards however you're avvised to keep eyes cloed to help the healing  i.e. go to bed.   NExt day fine and right as rain in a week.  you need to wear shades for abut 4 days and tape on goggles in bed in case you rub your eye and dis-lodge the flap.   You need to use comfort eye drops for a few months as your eyes get dry more quickly.

Deadly job though.    If you make an enquiry and dont turn up they will send you a voucher for neqarly 50% off.   Mine was £3,800 ,the dearest one and I got it for £2,000.