Laser eye surgery

Started by supersarsfields, October 02, 2007, 09:57:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

Cost the woman just over 2k for both eyes from what I can remember. Saying that they use laser technology to lift the flap so there's no actual cutting with a knife, might be worth the extra expense...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

supersarsfields

Does anyone know of the best place in the north to get it done?
And cheers for the info Bandit.
One other thing? How long afterwards did it keep you out of contact sports?

heganboy

if you can get wavefront I'd go for it (http://www.allaboutvision.com/visionsurgery/custom_lasik.htm)
If its good enough for tiger woods, its good enough for me. No blade anywhere and the upside is that it corrects your quality of vision in terms of the sharpness, better night vision etc
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

THE MIGHTY QUINN

My missus got it done about 4-5 years ago. She went to Vision Express in Belfast for the consultation but the surgery was carried out in Glasgow as VE didn't have a clinic in Belfast. At that time it cost around £1,200 and when you added flights and accommodation it was still cheaper than it would have been had she had it done by one of the Belfast clinics. She had mild discomfort for a day or two after but nothing more. It was a complete success. I don't think it addresses the natural decline in your eyesight that occurs with age as they told her she may need glasses at some time in the future but only for reading and not for general purpose.

heganboy

ps anyone else getting a load of lasik ads on this page?

thebandit

Quote from: supersarsfields on October 02, 2007, 04:25:49 PM
Does anyone know of the best place in the north to get it done?
And cheers for the info Bandit.
One other thing? How long afterwards did it keep you out of contact sports?

You are supposed to be out for 6 weeks, I was back at training after 10 days.

You arent supposed to drive for 3/4 days, I drove the next day

heganboy

QuoteYou are supposed to be out for 6 weeks, I was back at training after 10 days.

You arent supposed to drive for 3/4 days, I drove the next day

Again, this depends on the type that you get. I was told I could drive next day and sport as soon as I wanted, for racquet sports I was told to wear goggles for 3-4 weeks and not use a pool for 6 weeks, all other sports no bother.

Dubh driocht

My experience similar to the Mighty Quinn.Vision Express have a South Afican surgeon who is world class. A work colleague went round all the options in Dublin and Belfast and recommended him-based on :competence ,experience and value. We had to go to Bristol but they give you a 10% discount if you have to travel- we enjoyed a nice day without the kids and partner had the Op at 4pm .However,you will need someone with you as you are fine immediately afterwards ( miracle job) but the discomfort means you have to have cover on eyes for at least 12 hours and have to negotiate airport security ( have a word with Airline- Easyjet put us in front row but the downside was we had to sit beside Willie Mc Crea). Next morning - for the first time in 30 plus years she didn't need to reach for glasses to see the time. Definitely a good move .

THE MIGHTY QUINN

Mind you the discomfort of having to cover your eyes would be nothing compared with not having to cover your eyes and look at that little bollox McCrea

john mcgill

Will laser surgery work properly for people over 50.  Reading the above posts seemed to indicate that the veyes will deteriorate with age.  I must say that I thought about going down this line years ago and wimped out.  However reading the enthusiastic comments on this thread is making me reconsider.  You can't all work for Vision Express

deadeyedick

Had both eyes done 2 weeks ago at OPTIMAX on lisburn road.............should have had it done years ago....brilliant result. back driving on 2nd day after no swimming for 6 weeks and no contact sport for 2 weeks. toal cost 2000 pounds but worth every penny.

Fishbat

Is that true about Astigmatisms?  i was told by my optician lasering would'nt work for me (maybe she's low on customers) and that it could only have been done when i was 7 or 8 years old when the first symptoms were appearing or disappearing as the case was.

She said lasering would be a total waste of money in my case.

Anyone out there with astigmatisms that have had the laser and worked?

heganboy

thats what the wavefront is for- I had pretty bad astigmatism and the new wavefront takes care of it- I have better than 20/20

Fishbat

what is wavefront? how much?