Laser eye surgery

Started by supersarsfields, October 02, 2007, 09:57:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

heganboy

theres a link to info about wavefront on the previous page, Sorry but Im in the US so I have no idea how much it costs at home. Its about $6k for both eyes and all the aftercare here in the US without an insurance contribution
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Snowed Under

Always amazes me how most opticians wear glasses, and I doubt it's to promote their product.  I know a couple personally who have grieve misgivings about this procedure down the line.  Lets be honest it's purely a cosmetic exercise based on vanity with relatively short term gain and potentially longer term harm.

supersarsfields

Yeah it's vanity alright!!

Nothing to do with the hasssle of taking contacts out every nite, cleaning them, putting them in solution and then repeating the process in the morning,
Or the annoyance that's caused by glare from lights when wearing contacts or even the fact that I have to take my contacts out evertime I want to go for a swim!!

I just really really want to look good!!

So what concerns the couple you know? I'd be interested to hear wht they have misgivings about and if it's based on anything solid?

Snowed Under

OMG you never hear of glasses?

As for the opticians I know they give me the whole medical jargon - I could ask again for a refresh but basically 90%+ of the time the procedure was only possible once and because of the procedure when the eye starts to fail again it will be at a greater speed pace than had the procedure not taken place. 

supersarsfields

Yeah glasses are great for playing contact sport arn't they!! Plus their a torture for loosing and for breaking!! In fact it was the hassle of wearing glasses that made me go for contacts. And so if this can get rid of all the negative aspects of the contacts with from what I'm hearing no side affects then happy days.

And sure if your going by your vanity logic why do anything like shaving etc. there doesn't seem to be any conclusive proof that it harms you in the long term. 
And yet on the other side there seems to be loads of success stories.

Snowed Under

Shaving won't cost me two and a half grand and potentially serious sight problems in later life - btw I really couldn't give a monkeys whether you have the treatment or not - it great that you have totally researched the process and know the full scope of patient care and adverse effects down the line and are merely shopping for a price - good luck to you - hopefully the internet will be in braile down the line and you can still make a contribution.

supersarsfields

You seem very certain of these terrible adverse afects that ARE going to happen me IF I get this done. Yet you don't seem to back them up?
Can you blame me for asking for info on these affects as there are many first hand cases here detailing the postitives of the operation.
And on the money side of things. The price for getting them done seems to be in the region of £2K.  With some cheaper alternatives and some more expensive ones. But glasses seem to be in the region of £250 -£300 a pop. And over the next 15 to twenty years you can be sure that you would go through maybe 4-5 pairs through breaking ones, loosing ones and just new prescriptions. So it wouldn't be working out that much more expensive yet would be saving alot of hassle.

Snowed Under

I am not very certain at all but i certainally wouldn't be getting this procedure carried out without all the facts at hand - what research have you carried out - what professionals in the eye care industry have you spoken to - what medical journals have you studied or consulted - in the end it is youy health at risk here, if in 20 years time you are left blind or close to blind - or did Johnny tell you - its great i can see everything now, get it done.  ::)

ardal

Know lots of people who've had this done and have never heard of any problems. My cousin is also an optician and he recommends it.

There was though one colleague in Dublin who had it done and it didn't all go to plan. As they were using the laser he sneezed and the laser jumped. Now he has "Up Kerry" burnt into his forehead.

passedit

My missus got it done a couple of years ago and there were complications. She developed an infection in one of the eyes and was in a lot of pain for a week or so. It eventually cleared up though and her eyesight is 100% better than before. The only downside is that she nearly divorced me when she realised what an ugly fcuker i was.
Don't Panic

stiffler

I think laser eye surgery is the way forward, in 30 years time their will be no one wearing glasses.

GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Bensars

Quote from: stiffler on October 03, 2007, 11:59:08 AM
I think laser eye surgery is the way forward, in 30 years time their will be no one wearing glasses.

If thats the case, there goes the famous rant shouted at pitches up and down the land every sunday

"Get a pair of glasses you blind **** ye ! "

supersarsfields

Quote from: Snowed Under on October 03, 2007, 11:44:32 AM
I am not very certain at all but i certainally wouldn't be getting this procedure carried out without all the facts at hand - what research have you carried out - what professionals in the eye care industry have you spoken to - what medical journals have you studied or consulted - in the end it is youy health at risk here, if in 20 years time you are left blind or close to blind - or did Johnny tell you - its great i can see everything now, get it done.  ::)

But that's just it, I have been looking into things on the internet and nearly all them seem to be supportive of the procedure. Sorry I haven't carried out any actual research on it personally bar getting opinions of people first hand on her and elsewere. That's why I was interested to find out. But no one bar you seems to have a bad thing to say about it which is fair enough but you don'treally back it up with anything, just going on about taking risks. Sure any sort of op is a risk but it would seem from what I have gathered of the net that it's a pretty safe procedure.

Snowed Under

I'm sure it is a pretty safe procedure - it's the long term effects which one has to consider - how long has it been going 20 years? - It is only of lare 10 years or so that the masses are getting it done - and in a lot of cases it is consmetic - I'm sure you can use the net so I don't have to tell you that there are a lot of negative articles out there.  As for peoples opinions first hand, is that people who just have had the operation, i dont for one second question the amazing immeiate effects but before someone messed with my eyes I would do a bit more research, seems people won't believe a wet paint sign unless they touch it but are happy to let others decide the fate of their health without question.

supersarsfields

I can understand were your coming from. But for me to be able to wake up in the morning and to have clear vision would be fantastic. And honestly it's hardly comestic as I'm wearing lences now anyway so it won't affect my appearance.
But as I swim alot and play quite a bit of sports it would be so handy not to have to put my contacts in and out.
But your looking at the approach that you'd rather wait and see the long term affects on others? But what if i wait twenty years and there hasn't been any problems with the procedures. I'll have wasted all that time just in case it might have implications in the long term and still be stuck with the bad eyesight.