Galway V Mayo R4 Qualifier

Started by Maroon Manc, July 01, 2019, 10:48:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

If pitch size is a concern Mayo should have looked for the Hyde. There are worse things in life than a few fair weather supporters not getting tickets to a game.

Manning18

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 02, 2019, 11:48:02 AM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 02, 2019, 10:31:08 AM
It will be the end of the line for Walsh if Galway lose, Galway certainly won't be rocked by any retirements after the game so not sure what McStay is on about; Bradshaw the only one at retirement age.

Yeah first thing I noticed from that. Galway lose and Walsh is almost certainly gone but they will hardly lose anyone to retirement. It's a fairly young squad still. Maybe Bradshaw or O'Donnell but you'll find plenty who think there are better players waiting in the wings for them anyway at this stage.

Yeah I saw that two and thought it was a bit lazy. Good chance the oldest Galway player starting on Sat could be Flynn at age 27, if he makes it. There's noone bar Bradshaw or O'D even close to retirement age

seafoid

Quote from: Manning18 on July 02, 2019, 01:30:01 PM
It will be the end of the line for Walsh if Galway lose, Galway certainly won't be rocked by any retirements after the game so not sure what McStay is on about; Bradshaw the only one at retirement age.

Yeah first thing I noticed from that. Galway lose and Walsh is almost certainly gone but they will hardly lose anyone to retirement. It's a fairly young squad still. Maybe Bradshaw or O'Donnell but you'll find plenty who think there are better players waiting in the wings for them anyway at this stage.

Yeah I saw that two and thought it was a bit lazy. Good chance the oldest Galway player starting on Sat could be Flynn at age 27, if he makes it. There's noone bar Bradshaw or O'D even close to retirement age

It's not relating to age. It's about attitude
If Galway lose to Mayo it means it's a losing dressing room

The hurlers had exactly the same problem in 2011. I think Mayo may have had as well the year before, actually. When did ye lose to Longford in round 1 of the QFs? ?
Galway hurlers dropped a load of senior players and brought in the core of an all ireland winning u 21 team. they got to the AIF the following year. Mayo did too

Galway eventually won the all Ireland in 2017. Unfortunately Mayo did not.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 02, 2019, 01:29:49 PM
If pitch size is a concern Mayo should have looked for the Hyde. There are worse things in life than a few fair weather supporters not getting tickets to a game.

Mayo weren't offered the Hyde, they were offered home/away or Limerick.
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Blowitupref

Quote from: larryin89 on July 02, 2019, 01:22:23 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on July 02, 2019, 01:14:44 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on July 02, 2019, 01:07:22 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on July 02, 2019, 01:03:49 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 02, 2019, 12:59:38 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on July 02, 2019, 12:42:40 PM
Attendance for some recent round 4 knock out championship games involving Mayo and Galway played in neutral venues

Cork v Mayo in Gaelic Grounds  : 13,505
Galway v Donegal in Markievicz Park : 10,564

Should be interesting to see what the attendance will be in Limerick as all ticket game in Hyde Park would be a sell out while 20k plus would attend if the game was played in Castlebar or Salthill and TBH i still can understand why both couldn't agree on a toss of a coin for home advantage than opting for Limerick.

Galway were happy to toss a coin for home game, the Mayo County Board weren't.

Can anyone elaborate why the Mayo county board weren't happy? both are well versed in the home and away agreement in the Connacht championship and i think more supporters would attend this game if it was kept in Connacht.

Poor record in Castlebar and Salthill. This is a do or die game, and they're entitled to a neutral venue.

Mayo are unbeaten in qualifiers in Castlebar. Mayo have won 3 of their last 4 championship games v Galway in Salthill.

That's so irrelevant in today's money , at present we struggle at mchale Park especially against a team like Galway who can set up accordingly for small pitch . This is a big game , win this and along with the league title it's a satisfactory season , doesn't really matter what happens in super 8 if we did win , it genuinely is bonus territory.  Btw I don't think we will win

If you try to sell that to people few will buy it.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Manning18

Quote from: seafoid on July 02, 2019, 01:43:12 PM

The hurlers had exactly the same problem in 2011. I think Mayo may have had as well the year before, actually. When did ye lose to Longford in round 1 of the QFs? ?
Galway hurlers dropped a load of senior players and brought in the core of an all ireland winning u 21 team. they got to the AIF the following year. Mayo did too

What on earth are you talking about? McStay predicted multiple Galway retirement if they lose. We're merely pointing out that few of the players are near retirement whatsoever. The management situation is seperate

galwayman

No, he said specifically...
"
The losing team is facing into many retirements. If you look at Mayo, nearly half their panel is 27 and older, and seven of them are 30 years and older. Likewise, Galway have veteran players who have soldiered long and hard for their county. So the reality is that a cadre of players is probably 70 minutes and a defeat away from calling it a day. Everything is riding on this one game.
"
Of course he's talking about age.

seafoid

Quote from: galwayman on July 02, 2019, 02:53:51 PM

No, he said specifically...
"
The losing team is facing into many retirements. If you look at Mayo, nearly half their panel is 27 and older, and seven of them are 30 years and older. Likewise, Galway have veteran players who have soldiered long and hard for their county. So the reality is that a cadre of players is probably 70 minutes and a defeat away from calling it a day. Everything is riding on this one game.
"
Of course he's talking about age.
"Long and hard for their county" is plamas for "not good enough" if they can't beat either Ros or a banjaxed Mayo
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

magpie seanie

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on July 02, 2019, 01:44:55 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on July 02, 2019, 01:29:49 PM

Mayo weren't offered the Hyde, they were offered home/away or Limerick.

I didn't say they were offered the Hyde. Read it again.  ::)

Maroon Manc

I see the winner will play Kerry a week on Sunday at 4pm

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 02, 2019, 04:34:12 PM
I see the winner will play Kerry a week on Sunday at 4pm

Tough on whoever wins but especially tough for Mayo. At least Galway have had a break. You'd wonder what shape Mayo will be in after the weekend with general wear and tear.

Rossfan

€25 for tickets for the open seats (North Stand).
I'd expect the Rhubarbs season ticket holders will fill the covered stand.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Rossfan on July 02, 2019, 05:23:15 PM

Supporters were charged €30 for stand tickets for the Mayo v Galway Connacht quarter final last year more proof if ever needed that the Connacht GAA overcharge.

Duine Eile

Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 02, 2019, 08:29:17 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 02, 2019, 05:23:15 PM

Supporters were charged €30 for stand tickets for the Mayo v Galway Connacht quarter final last year more proof if ever needed that the Connacht GAA overcharge.

If you were to buy a stand ticket on the day of the Connacht final it was going to set you back €40!

Mayo4Sam14

Are the terraces being opened for Saturday?
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!