Cavan v Roscommon

Started by Shrewdness, June 22, 2015, 09:01:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CC1

Was the Roscommon player retrospectively given a yellow for his part in the incident? It'd be interesting to know why not if he hadn't.
"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."

Itchy

Ciaran Brady got a yellow for trying to break a ball from a kick out, first involvement he had after coming on. We had a point disallowed for square ball. I thought the red was poor so I'd doubt it very much if the Ros player who instigated the incident by dragging at Corr got any punishment

Syferus

Quote from: CC1 on July 05, 2015, 11:42:22 AM
Was the Roscommon player retrospectively given a yellow for his part in the incident? It'd be interesting to know why not if he hadn't.

If every bit of niggle in a match is a yellow to you, your idea of a fairly refereed football match would look like some sort of apocalyptic version of football where games end with two or three men on the field. The only thing there that needed officiating was Tomas Corr deciding to thump Ultan Harney in the back of the head.

Shrewdness

Well done to the Roscommon team and management on an excellent win yesterday. They were under huge pressure to perform, pressure which became even greater, with the unexpected ingredient of the concession of a first minute goal...To score 3-17 was impressive, with 3-14 of that coming from play. They could and should have scored more. I recently wrote about how injuries were threatening to derail Donie Shine's career. Yesterday showed his value to the team. I thought David Keenan and Ian Kilbride were excellent, not to mention the outstanding Neil Collins..Great performances from our young guns, Daly, Smith, Harney and Murtagh.. The great thing about this win, is that it also highlighted areas that need to be improved on. Most notably in defence..As well as most of them played, the concession of 1-16 was a concern..The whole scenario around Cavan's first minute goal was very poor from a defensive and goalkeeping point of view...All in all, an excellent win after the complacency induced meltdown in Sligo. Focus, concentration, and better luck with injuries are vital to this team now.. A home draw in the qualifiers wouldn't hurt either.

giveballaghback

Good all round performance yesterday by Roscommon, they were always in control of the game and would have won regardless of whether Corr was sent off or not, Corr had been looking for trouble from the off and was involved in a few incidents before the sending off, the attempt at the sub was a joke not even Neill Tobin could come up with and the bandage on the leg was like something a child would put on a doll,
he got what he deserved, Ref overall kept a tight rein on the game, both teams got what is called handy frees but is that not always the case.
Rossies have work to do before the next day, really looking forward to maybe making a quarter final and that would be huge in this young teams development, if we get done the next day so be it but lets hope we will have a fully fit panel to pick from. Hon the Rossies, onwards and upwards.

Rudi

In the video the Cavan 6 walks away from Harney, when 9 does the dirty work, walks back like a hard man with Harney on the ground. Stay classy. Ros were the better team by some distance. Cavan have nothing up front, however if Ros were playing Sligo yesterday don't think they would have won. Slow ponderous teams like Cavan suit Rosie's style of football. Fast pacy teams like Sligo are a different story. Good to get the win, problems remain. Shine, Kilbride, Kennan, Collins, harney, crazy and smith did very well. Ref made some strange decisions for both sides, mostly biased against Cavan, the point from the sideline was a score imo.

sligoman

Quote from: Rudi on July 05, 2015, 01:49:17 PM
In the video the Cavan 6 walks away from Harney, when 9 does the dirty work, walks back like a hard man with Harney on the ground. Stay classy. Ros were the better team by some distance. Cavan have nothing up front, however if Ros were playing Sligo yesterday don't think they would have won. Slow ponderous teams like Cavan suit Rosie's style of football. Fast pacy teams like Sligo are a different story. Good to get the win, problems remain. Shine, Kilbride, Kennan, Collins, harney, crazy and smith did very well. Ref made some strange decisions for both sides, mostly biased against Cavan, the point from the sideline was a score imo.

That was a weird decision for the square ball, it went straight over without any interference so it was odd to disallow this. Roscommon's forwards played well, Smith in particular but I thought they all seemed to play as individuals and should have  had Cavan completely out of the game much earlier but managed to blow a lot of overload situations when they should have been in for goals.

Cavan were really disappointing.

CC1

Quote from: Syferus on July 05, 2015, 11:48:20 AM

If every bit of niggle in a match is a yellow to you, your idea of a fairly refereed football match would look like some sort of apocalyptic version of football where games end with two or three men on the field. The only thing there that needed officiating was Tomas Corr deciding to thump Ultan Harney in the back of the head.
Nonsense. We are talking about the incident in question. If what Harney did was not a yellow then some of the yellows he did dish out on the day weren't yellows either. For example, why was Fergal Flanagan given a yellow when he clearly had his hand on the ball? If you're to give retrospective cards, the least you have to be is consistent.
"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."

Syferus

Quote from: CC1 on July 05, 2015, 04:33:29 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 05, 2015, 11:48:20 AM

Nonsense. We are talking about the incident in question. If what Harney did was not a yellow then some of the yellows he did dish out on the day weren't yellows either. For example, why was Fergal Flanagan given a yellow when he clearly had his hand on the ball? If you're to give retrospective cards, the least you have to be is consistent.

What Harney did wasn't a yellow card offence. You're the only one I've heard trying to ply this angle.

Shrewdness

Fergal Flanagan got a yellow card for persistent fouling and mouthing to the referee.. Surprised that the Cavan posters have only that incident to discuss from yesterday.

giveballaghback

3-14 from play from a forward line that was playing as individuals was some performance rudi, this super fast sligo team just avoided relagation to div 4, do they have their snow tyres on in the winter, what a load of rubbish, talking tru yere ......

sligoman

Quote from: giveballaghback on July 05, 2015, 06:43:19 PM
3-14 from play from a forward line that was playing as individuals was some performance rudi, this super fast sligo team just avoided relagation to div 4, do they have their snow tyres on in the winter, what a load of rubbish, talking tru yere ......

I feel you'd be better served looking at the fact that they were against a pretty rudderless team in the second half down to 14 men who were also without their two best defenders. I felt from watching the game that in the second half they could have killed that game off an awful lot earlier if they had made the right decisions. There were a number of incidents where Roscommon had men over against Cavan in Cavan's 45 area and the player with the ball took too much out of the ball and they ended up being turned over.

Roscommon were by far the better team yesterday and won deservedly, however up until Smith's late goal 14 man Cavan were still in the game and they shouldn't have been. This was down to Roscommon making really poor choices going forward.

Maroon Manc

You're getting far too carried away, you conceded 1-16 to a crap Cavan team.

I don't rate Cavan, individually they have very few players who stand out and along with Fermangh will be my tip for the drop next year. Roscommon have far more talented players than Cavan.

I'd expect you to get to round 4 and a quarter final as long as you avoided Cork/Kerry in the draw. I look forward to seeing how you do against one of the so called top 6.

Syferus

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 05, 2015, 08:25:41 PM

You're getting far too carried away, you conceded 1-16 to a crap Cavan team.

I don't rate Cavan, individually they have very few players who stand out and along with Fermangh will be my tip for the drop next year. Roscommon have far more talented players than Cavan.

I'd expect you to get to round 4 and a quarter final as long as you avoided Cork/Kerry in the draw. I look forward to seeing how you do against one of the so called top 6.

Beat Cavan in Breffni only to lose in R3 last year. Won D2 only to flop against Sligo. No one is looking beyond Monday's draw.

giveballaghback

I have never been over optimistic about ros football on this or any other forum but when rubbish is being put out there i will challenge it at all times, talking about cavan missing 2 players when ros were missing the spine of our team is some joke, the most thing i would take from that game is that ros were in control from start to finish, we created many chances and took a good amount of them, in case some of the posters dont know the idea of the game is to score more than the other team and guess what if you do it does not matter what you concede!