CCTV

Started by illdecide, May 13, 2010, 04:08:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Wiser

That collection of junk on e-bay is not going to help you anyway.  It is made by a China Company, Weisky Tech and sells for around $80.

Here are a few things you have to "decide"

1.   Choose between whether you want to use analogue or Networked Digital system.  I use GKB and if you go to GKBSECURITY.com and look at "Solutions" you will see the difference.

2.   If you decide on using standard everyday cameras (analogue) I would, instead of wiring them with co-axial cable use network cable (Cat5) and be sure to use external and internal cable type.  I say this because if it is analogue today it will be digital tomorrow and when you upgrade you won't be changing cable.

3   When pricing a DVR (Recorder) some cute hoors give the price excluding the HDD and most are shipped without a HDD unless you are buying from a trade outlet. They may say it "provides for a 1TB HDD"

4   Millions of years ago cameras were very low resolution. Today and every day quality is increassing and there are some super cams out there. However make sure cams and DVR match, no point in having  high res cams and rubbish DVR. The DVR may have a HD output but in reality the cheapos have theem for show.  I use Talitor DVR, see talitor.com.

5 Ensure if you are buying a cheapo off the internet that is not one someone else bought in from China and it is NTSC instead of PAL or when you plug it in it has the wrong AC Voltage.

6 Don't be influenced by fancy looking cameras on a website that look like something out of Star Wars and have night vision of 60 meters and cost 40$.  They might do 60 meters today but when the cheap LED's fade you won't see your hand in front of it. Have a look at Superon Technology.

7 If you are using cameras outside either use the teardrop PTZ type or a wall mounted fixed Dome Camera (The one with the roundy face that is over your bank link machine. If you use the bullet type all you will see is spiders webs and spiders parties at night time wheras the little feckers get blown off the other type. Failing that buy a container load of Spidex if you insist on the Star Wars type cams.

8  If you have external cams use 24V AC instead of 12V DC type. You can run the power down, and the signal back along the same CAT5 cable (You have to use a balon but that's another story)  12v will drop too low over any distance above 35meters while if the cam is 100 meters away and there is no local power supply to plug it into 24V AC is fierce handy altogether.

9 Some sites allow you to log onto their DVR to have a remote view of their cameras. What you are viewing is not what will be in that big box that arrives with DHL but a big square tin lump of Chinese rubbish.

10  Despite all the above it is very simple to install a system that is cheap and efficient alll on your ownio. Don't be put off by someone talking about regulations and stuff and assholes like the Private Security Authority.  Give the lads in cctvdirect.co,uk a ring and they will specify what you want or buy it in direct.  You can also have me install it and it will cost you thousands.

If you get stuck give a holler and we will help.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

never kickt a ball

Quote from: Bud Wiser on July 27, 2014, 01:04:21 AM
That collection of junk on e-bay is not going to help you anyway.  It is made by a China Company, Weisky Tech and sells for around $80.

Here are a few things you have to "decide"

1.   Choose between whether you want to use analogue or Networked Digital system.  I use GKB and if you go to GKB.com and look at "Solutions" you will see the difference.

2.   If you decide on using standard everyday cameras (analogue) I would, instead of wiring them with co-axial cable use network cable (Cat5) and be sure to use external and internal cable type.  I say this because if it is analogue today it will be digital tomorrow and when you upgrade you won't be changing cable.

3   When pricing a DVR (Recorder) some cute hoors give the price excluding the HDD and most are shipped without a HDD unless you are buying from a trade outlet. They may say it "provides for a 1TB HDD"

4   Millions of years ago cameras were very low resolution. Today and every day quality is increassing and there are some super cams out there. However make sure cams and DVR match, no point in having  high res cams and rubbish DVR. The DVR may have a HD output but in reality the cheapos have theem for show.  I use Talitor DVR, see talitor.com.

5 Ensure if you are buying a cheapo off the internet that is not one someone else bought in from China and it is NTSC instead of PAL or when you plug it in it has the wrong AC Voltage.

6 Don't be influenced by fancy looking cameras on a website that look like something out of Star Wars and have night vision of 60 meters and cost 40$.  They might do 60 meters today but when the cheap LED's fade you won't see your hand in front of it. Have a look at Superon Technology.

7 If you are using cameras outside either use the teardrop PTZ type or a wall mounted fixed Dome Camera (The one with the roundy face that is over your bank link machine. If you use the bullet type all you will see is spiders webs and spiders parties at night time wheras the little feckers get blown off the other type. Failing that buy a container load of Spidex if you insist on the Star Wars type cams.

8  If you have external cams use 24V AC instead of 12V DC type. You can run the power down, and the signal back along the same CAT5 cable (You have to use a balon but that's another story)  12v will drop too low over any distance above 35meters while if the cam is 100 meters away and there is no local power supply to plug it into 24V AC is fierce handy altogether.

9 Some sites allow you to log onto their DVR to have a remote view of their cameras. What you are viewing is not what will be in that big box that arrives with DHL but a big square tin lump of Chinese rubbish.

10  Despite all the above it is very simple to install a system that is cheap and efficient alll on your ownio. Don't be put off by someone talking about regulations and stuff and assholes like the Private Security Authority.  Give the lads in cctvdirect.co,uk a ring and they will specify what you want or buy it in direct.  You can also have me install it and it will cost you thousands.

If you get stuck give a holler and we will help.
Quote from: illdecide on May 13, 2010, 05:26:37 PM
Quote from: Ulick on May 13, 2010, 05:14:42 PM
Is BudWiser not the CCTV/alarms man?

Err...No.

Err...Yes

Boycey

Thanks Bud for coming back with such a detailed and useful guide you're obviously in the business..

Like everyone else in this day and age I'm trying to do something on the cheap else I'd ask you to give me a quote  :-[  I've a guy that works through me who installs jukeboxes, TV and sound systems all the time and we're fairly confident he can run all cables etc.

Do you think there is any off the shelf kit that will meet my need or should I go to a store and get a bespoke system. As much as I don't want to buy a bag of shite I also don't want a huge state of the art system that I don't need.

As a guide it's an inside premises, long and narrow (40m x 7m ish) with a counter area in the middle so cable runs be a max 20m I'd say. I was thinking 6 to 8 cameras with one of them external or possibly in entrance hallway. I'd like the ability to record and keep say a week possibly 2. The premises would be lowly lit too if that's make a difference..

Is there a ballpark figure you could say Id get an adequate system for?

I hope my rumblings are coherent...

Hereiam

Thats a right size of a strip club you have there boycey.... :D

Boycey

Was thinking exactly the same as I was writing it but unfortunately it's not  ;D

Bud Wiser

Yes, of course there is off the shelf.  Ring the guys in cctvdirect.co,uk  and tell them exactly what you are trying to do and they are sound and will give you the right gear.

I don't know what you are doing in this premises but if you would like a "happy ending" there are a few other considerations,

If there are mirrors, and I'm beginning to guess there are and you are using IR Cameras be careful how you locate them or all you will see is a big flash of light even though the IR's are not visible and the place is in darkness.
Don't buy a monitor, an ordinary good quality small TV will do, most or all recorders have VGA output.  Before you cable put your TV on a desk and make up a long camera lead and just do a walk test. 

Recorders come in 4/8/16 channel    You can decide the difference between 8 and 16 when ordering but remember, if you buy an 8 you can't add onto it, you have to buy an additional one or a 16.  You can also buy an 8 channel power supply instead of buying an individual one for each camera. All recorders are networked today so you can view them on your phone or laptop from home so if you want to do this you will need broadband on the premises.   That's about it
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

stiffler

Are there cctv systems you can get that link to phones that don't need internet connection ?
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009