legal requirements re work notice

Started by his holiness nb, July 24, 2007, 12:05:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

his holiness nb

Question, is there set time frames of notice you need to give in a job based on the time you have worked there, or is this dependant on your employment terms?
Ask me holy bollix

Gnevin

Quote from: his holiness nb on July 24, 2007, 12:05:24 PM
Question, is there set time frames of notice you need to give in a job based on the time you have worked there, or is this dependant on your employment terms?
In general its a week per year
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

An Gaeilgoir

If you get paid weekly,then all you have to give is a weeks notice and if you get paid monthly all you have to give is a months notice. Most people give either 2 weeks(weekly pay) or 6 weeks (monthly) as a rule of thumb.I suppose it is up to each individual really.

his holiness nb

Ask me holy bollix

lynchbhoy

think you actually only
HAVE to give a weeks notice. EU employment legislation

That is a bit harsh though (but legal) - what is usually preferred is the period of notice that co-incides with how often you get paid.
If its monthly, then your acceptable notice period is a month, if its weekly, then a week it is

if you have a montly notice period and have holidays to take - eg a week - then you can give them a months notice and leave after three weeks.

I have a few more ideas to get out of a job/contract within a short space of time, so pm me if you like.

Long time dead

Quote from: 5iveTimes on July 24, 2007, 12:09:47 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on July 24, 2007, 12:06:20 PM

Not Neccesarily, it really depends on the type of job. Most sales jobs will let you go immediately. They dont want you taking customers to your new employer. Other jobs may need to find a replacement before they let you go. It would usually be somewhere between 2 weeks and a month, certainly no longer than a month.

My notice period is 3 months - depends on the nature of your work.

his holiness nb

Quote from: Long time dead on July 24, 2007, 01:36:19 PM

Not Neccesarily, it really depends on the type of job. Most sales jobs will let you go immediately. They dont want you taking customers to your new employer. Other jobs may need to find a replacement before they let you go. It would usually be somewhere between 2 weeks and a month, certainly no longer than a month.

Cheers, no big deal, just gave 3 1/2 weeks notice today on a job I have only been in two months.
The boss turned up the lift and said i should give more, I thought that was a bit cheeky given the small period I have been working here.
Ask me holy bollix

lynchbhoy

Quote from: his holiness nb on July 24, 2007, 01:39:55 PM
Quote from: Long time dead on July 24, 2007, 01:36:19 PM

Cheers, no big deal, just gave 3 1/2 weeks notice today on a job I have only been in two months.
The boss turned up the lift and said i should give more, I thought that was a bit cheeky given the small period I have been working here.

presumably you are still in your probationary period
that was VERY cheeky (if not indeed just plain ignorant) of your boss.

email him back and tell him that you have changed your mind and am now giving him 3 weeks (2 weeks if you take a few days off for yourself)

some of these employers think they own you. fcuk em

his holiness nb

Still in the probationary period alright, the boss is pure ignorant, thats why I'm taking Laoislads example and going out on my own.

Will have a think about it tonight about maybe reducing the notice, if they have a problem with that I'll tell them to register on gaaboard and pm lynchboy  ;)
Ask me holy bollix

gortnaleck

I think that if I was the boss I'd want you out of there right away because you probably will not be much addition to him for the few weeks.Also you could suffer a work related injury.          You're fired !!!!!!

his holiness nb

I was kind of hoping for that so I could concentrate 100% on planning my new venture, but the f**kers dont want me out!!
Ask me holy bollix

lynchbhoy

Quote from: his holiness nb on July 24, 2007, 02:59:15 PM
I was kind of hoping for that so I could concentrate 100% on planning my new venture, but the f**kers dont want me out!!
call in sick for a few days next week...

or take your unused holidays for the last week

or
phone in sick monday of your last week saying you hurt yourself in a football game on a sunday.
Worked for me on a couple of occasions when I wanted to get out of a contract

his holiness nb

Problem is they say they only pay for 3 sick days after which you are on your own, I have taken 2 already!!
Ask me holy bollix

Square Ball

what can they do if you donr work your notice, fire you? most people have jobs alread lined up so whats the problem.

4 weeks in my place, but have been able to get people out in 1 week, its dependant on pay as already stated, and if you have taken your full annual leave entitlement, you may owe them money!!
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

his holiness nb

Thats a problem too as I had holidays booked when I joined, so are you saying I should work up till next tuesday 31st (when we get paid) then just dissappear??

Or could they pursue you for the owed money?
Ask me holy bollix