Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mouview

Quote from: GJL on October 18, 2018, 11:14:52 PM
Can someone explain to me how extending the exit period helps solve any problems?

Mooting this certainly hasn't solved any for Teresa May; quite the opposite, it has united practically all Tories against her. May may certainly be incompetent but nobody could play the hand of cards she's been dealt. She's probably never been in greater peril than now at home, but Brexiteer/ERG gang haven't the numbers to topple her and Remainers don't know who to replace her with as it would probably be pro-Brexit such as Davis, Johnson, Rees-Mogg. DUP daren't pull the rug from under her and cause a GE as they'd almost certainly lose their current influence (and some seats) and it may allow their bete noire Corbyn into no. 10. I think it's almost inevitable there'll be some form of delay or extended transition now.

Whatever outcome results, the whole farrago has been a Rubicon of sorts, a political Vietnam. It will cause divisions for years to come, and even should the UK Remain, exit thoughts will never be too far away, fomented by it's supporters. There'd probably be another referendum in 20/25 years time.

seafoid

Can someone explain to me how extending the exit period helps solve any problems?

https://youtu.be/pACePi441ds

The way to do Brexit was develop a policy, get the party united  behind it and win a general election on it.
They won a wafer thin margin in a referendum. Brexit means Brexit because they couldn't agree what
Brexit meant. They still can't.

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

LeoMc

The backstop was supposed to be a fall back until a "technical solution" could be found to the border question.
The technical solution was originally proposed by Brexiteers as the solution to the differing tax and standards either side of the border. When it was pointed out a technical solution had not been invented they suggested the backstop, maintain alignment until it is invented.
Extending the time supposedly gives more time to invent this technical solution.

I am not a technical expert but I believe the solution involves Drones and Unicorns.

seafoid

Quote from: LeoMc on October 22, 2018, 08:07:35 AM
The backstop was supposed to be a fall back until a "technical solution" could be found to the border question.
The technical solution was originally proposed by Brexiteers as the solution to the differing tax and standards either side of the border. When it was pointed out a technical solution had not been invented they suggested the backstop, maintain alignment until it is invented.
Extending the time supposedly gives more time to invent this technical solution.

I am not a technical expert but I believe the solution involves Drones and Unicorns.
AFAIK it is in case there is no trade deal. They need a backstop for NI.
The ERG do not want either a deal or a backstop.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: seafoid on October 18, 2018, 10:19:07 AM
"Today, we do not know what they want. They do not know themselves what they really want. That is the problem," the Lithuanian president told reporters.

Cannot disagree with that.

There is no consensus within Westminster - with a negotiating "position" so maneuverable as to do Erwin Rommel proud - is it any wonder the negotiations are falling apart.
i usse an speelchekor

LeoMc

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on October 22, 2018, 10:41:33 AM
"Today, we do not know what they want. They do not know themselves what they really want. That is the problem," the Lithuanian president told reporters.

There is no consensus within Westminster - with a negotiating "position" so maneuverable as to do Erwin Rommel proud - is it any wonder the negotiations are falling apart.
I think there was a similar quote from a French official "First they wanted in with a load of opt outs, now they want out with a load of opt ins"

seafoid

Quote from: LeoMc on October 22, 2018, 12:19:13 PM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on October 22, 2018, 10:41:33 AM

I think there was a similar quote from a French official "First they wanted in with a load of opt outs, now they want out with a load of opt ins"

The ERG want no deal, no social welfare, no NHS but they are struggling to sell this vision to the others apart from the DUP.

omagh_gael

The obvious problem is there is no majority for any type of Brexit (not even close the majority). The scary thing is the polls are still showing Labour languishing one point behind the Tories.

armaghniac

I saw a good quote from a comedian, that Britain was the first country to place sanctions on itself.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

GJL

Quote from: omagh_gael on October 22, 2018, 02:31:40 PM
The obvious problem is there is no majority for any type of Brexit (not even close the majority). The scary thing is the polls are still showing Labour languishing one point behind the Tories.

Polls said no Brexit.....  Polls said no Trump.....

Polls can't be trusted.

mouview

Judging by some of the language as reported to be used over the weekend, the Tories are really falling apart. Surely a Labour / SNP coalition could seize power and change the whole s**tshow.