Author Topic: Death Notices  (Read 624655 times)

Avondhu star

• View Profile
Re: Death Notices
« Reply #5775 on: April 03, 2018, 09:47:39 AM »
Peter Hain was on radio about her this morning. He knows the story and is very simplistic to just say she was a bad 'un. She suffered terribly and was very courageous in the face of oppression bit in later years did things were not just. He thinks 'things went to her head' later on.
And Stalin loved Labrador puppies
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

longballin

• View Profile
« Reply #5776 on: April 03, 2018, 10:23:33 AM »
Peter Hain was on radio about her this morning. He knows the story and is very simplistic to just say she was a bad 'un. She suffered terribly and was very courageous in the face of oppression bit in later years did things were not just. He thinks 'things went to her head' later on.

Not justifying what she's alleged to have done but she faced the worst brutality from her oppressors so is not black and white... actually it is black and white! Interesting on Stalin, I didn't know that.

Avondhu star

• View Profile
« Reply #5777 on: April 03, 2018, 12:57:01 PM »

Not justifying what she's alleged to have done but she faced the worst brutality from her oppressors so is not black and white... actually it is black and white! Interesting on Stalin, I didn't know that.

The brutality of her oppressors doesn't justify the cruelty she inflicted on black South Africans.
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Therealdonald

• View Profile
« Reply #5778 on: April 03, 2018, 11:19:39 PM »
I wanna know how Stalin got dragged in here? He's dead a long time. Quite possibly the greatest war time general the world has ever seen.

Dougal Maguire

• View Profile
« Reply #5779 on: April 04, 2018, 02:06:25 PM »
Ray Wilkins aged 61
Careful now

AZOffaly

• View Profile
« Reply #5780 on: April 04, 2018, 02:09:04 PM »
No way!

Shamrock Shore

• We are proud to be Larries
    • View Profile
« Reply #5781 on: April 04, 2018, 02:16:41 PM »
No way!

Afraid so. On the official Chelsea Twitter account.

RIP Butch

GJL

• View Profile
« Reply #5782 on: April 04, 2018, 02:20:11 PM »
So young. Very sad. Always enjoyed his analysis.

StGallsGAA

• View Profile
« Reply #5783 on: April 04, 2018, 02:32:49 PM »
Ray Wilkins aged 61

Met him once at a charity event in Dublin. Genuinely engaging guy. RIP

Farrandeelin

• Hey buckaroo! How are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5784 on: April 04, 2018, 02:35:56 PM »
RIP Ray Wilkins. 61 is very young these days.
The woman in red has the car parked on the slope.

BennyCake

• View Profile
« Reply #5785 on: April 04, 2018, 02:56:38 PM »
Ah no, sad news. Always liked Ray Wilkins. 61 is no age. RIP.

Don't remember him at United. Only really remember him playing at QPR, and vaguely at Milan and Rangers. Enjoyed him on the TV too. He was on the Tango adverts too in the 90's.

magpie seanie

• View Profile
« Reply #5786 on: April 04, 2018, 03:02:25 PM »
As I mentioned on the United thread I remember him from the 1983 FA Cup final in particular and onwards after that. Technically very sound and I think he was appreciated wherever he went. Seemed to be a nice man too. RIP.

Hound

• View Profile
« Reply #5787 on: April 04, 2018, 04:26:27 PM »
As I mentioned on the United thread I remember him from the 1983 FA Cup final in particular and onwards after that. Technically very sound and I think he was appreciated wherever he went. Seemed to be a nice man too. RIP.
I remember him having the reputation as a "crab" on the football pitch, only going sideways, when with United and England. (For some reason I've no memory of him playing with anyone post United).

I remember him playing poorly in a World Cup, but then getting sent off and suspended, which allowed England to improve hugely in future games!

I remember his goal in the Cup Final, which was pure magic, and just can't help smiling everytime I see a replay of it for the sheer joy it gave such a great pro (and I'm a long long way from being a United fan!)

And I remember him coming across as an absolute gentlemen anytime he's done tv.

RIP

Cunny Funt

• View Profile
« Reply #5788 on: April 04, 2018, 04:38:00 PM »
RIP Ray Wilkins. A good footballer that played until 41 i think? and was a good pundit on the TV unlike some others.

red hander

• Masters of the dark arts since 1996
    • View Profile
« Reply #5789 on: April 04, 2018, 04:39:55 PM »
I remember him having the reputation as a "crab" on the football pitch, only going sideways, when with United and England. (For some reason I've no memory of him playing with anyone post United).

I remember him playing poorly in a World Cup, but then getting sent off and suspended, which allowed England to improve hugely in future games!

I remember his goal in the Cup Final, which was pure magic, and just can't help smiling everytime I see a replay of it for the sheer joy it gave such a great pro (and I'm a long long way from being a United fan!)

And I remember him coming across as an absolute gentlemen anytime he's done tv.

RIP

Yeah, remember that. He wasn't like that at Chelsea, where he was captain at just 18. Was a more attacking midfielder and chipped in with goals. First saw him play in a friendly for Man Utd against Linfield in about 1982, where he was all over the field, going from wing to wing. Subsequently saw him a few times when I lived in England few years later. Not a patch on Brian Robson, but a solid player. Seemed like a nice guy, too
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 04:42:04 PM by red hander »