HOW WOULD YOU VOTE IN A BORDER POLL?

Started by RedHand88, March 20, 2021, 02:56:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you back unity if a border poll was held tomorrow?

Yes (Northerner)
No (Northerner)
Yes (Southener)
No (Southener)

trailer

A lot of Northern Republicans do try and go out of their way to prove they are "Ultra Irish"

A handy check list is

Love The Wolfe Tones
Love Celtic / Hate Rangers
Huge SF supporters - see no wrong support - cult like
Hate any Nationalists who don't subscribe to their way of thinking
Want to ram a United Ireland down everyone's throats and have no time for relationship building with others of a different viewpoint

Orior

So according to this poll, a quarter of GAA people in the south would not vote for a united Ireland.

What the heck is going on?

Perhaps some of the quarter could list 5 clear reasons why not.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Taylor

Quote from: Orior on March 24, 2021, 04:28:52 PM
So according to this poll, a quarter of GAA people in the south would not vote for a united Ireland.

I would say some of the quarter may have changed their mind now that some of the major parties in the South have softened their stance

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Lar Naparka

What poll?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

yellowcard

Maybe even more surprising is the fact that 7 GAA people in the north voted to stay under British rule.

I would honestly love to know the rationale behind this if anyone wants to confess!?

Eamonnca1

170 is not a great sample size, although you'd expect the self-selecting GAA-oriented crowd here to be more nationalistic than what the poll shows.

seafoid

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on March 24, 2021, 02:19:52 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 24, 2021, 11:14:49 AM
Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on March 23, 2021, 10:07:17 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 23, 2021, 01:53:43 PM
The 6 counties are always going to be treated differently because of the polarisation. Currently they are neither fully Irish nor fully British but something in between.
In a United Ireland that would not change.
It will be heartbreaking  for Northern Shinners to live in a country that is not a romantic republic straight out of the Wolfe Tones.
Free stater mindset clear for all to see again. People in the 6 counties are as Irish as you, if not more, as they've had to fight for their identity.
NI is never going to be the same as Mayo because a certain proportion of the peple do not identify as Irish. The best that can be hoped for is some sort of fudge.
If NI were the same as Mayo the armed struggle would have won.
Nonsense, typical free stater partitionist attitude who knows fa about the north.
A certain proportion in the north can identify however they please, that's nothing to do with the Irish in the north. There is plenty in the south that do not identify as Irish.
The north IS the same as Mayo.
The difference is (can't believe I'm having to spell this out) that the south sold the north up the river and the British state establishment in the north had greater power in the "armed struggle".
I'd say you're one of the boys that would vote against a UI.
I don't recognise the formulation that someone who disagrees with your position has to be a know nothing.

Unfortunately I know too much about the North. And I am not a partitionist. It's all Ireland.

https://youtu.be/Jwv2B4W9brk

You cannot fix the Ulster question just because you have a United Ireland. You can't fix it by claiming OWC is British either.
Because the people are both  Irish and British.
NI will always have some Brit influence. It will.always have Rangers fans. The Plantation is forever.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rossfan

Presumably the 7  want nothing to do with nasty freestaters,ffg, failed State, stab in the back 1921, westbrits blah blah?

I would expect a plebiscite in the 26 on a UI held in a vacuum with no preplanning or outline of the type of new State etc would be about 65/35.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: seafoid on March 24, 2021, 04:52:17 PM
Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on March 24, 2021, 02:19:52 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 24, 2021, 11:14:49 AM
Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on March 23, 2021, 10:07:17 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 23, 2021, 01:53:43 PM
The 6 counties are always going to be treated differently because of the polarisation. Currently they are neither fully Irish nor fully British but something in between.
In a United Ireland that would not change.
It will be heartbreaking  for Northern Shinners to live in a country that is not a romantic republic straight out of the Wolfe Tones.
Free stater mindset clear for all to see again. People in the 6 counties are as Irish as you, if not more, as they've had to fight for their identity.
NI is never going to be the same as Mayo because a certain proportion of the peple do not identify as Irish. The best that can be hoped for is some sort of fudge.
If NI were the same as Mayo the armed struggle would have won.
Nonsense, typical free stater partitionist attitude who knows fa about the north.
A certain proportion in the north can identify however they please, that's nothing to do with the Irish in the north. There is plenty in the south that do not identify as Irish.
The north IS the same as Mayo.
The difference is (can't believe I'm having to spell this out) that the south sold the north up the river and the British state establishment in the north had greater power in the "armed struggle".
I'd say you're one of the boys that would vote against a UI.
I don't recognise the formulation that someone who disagrees with your position has to be a know nothing.

Unfortunately I know too much about the North. And I am not a partitionist. It's all Ireland.

https://youtu.be/Jwv2B4W9brk

You cannot fix the Ulster question just because you have a United Ireland. You can't fix it by claiming OWC is British either.
Because the people are both  Irish and British.
NI will always have some Brit influence. It will.always have Rangers fans. The Plantation is forever.
That's obviously not true though.
1. I'm not Irish and British, I'm just Irish.
2. Your attempt to annex the O6 doesn't add up when the Mayo was in its same position, by your logic, it will always have British influence.
You are no different, or your status is no different than us, back then, or now.

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: yellowcard on March 24, 2021, 04:49:33 PM

Maybe even more surprising is the fact that 7 GAA people in the north voted to stay under British rule.

I would honestly love to know the rationale behind this if anyone wants to confess!?
You'd wonder how they can look themselves in the mirror.

Lar Naparka

What poll?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Rossfan

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on March 24, 2021, 05:01:09 PM

EvilG and Michael are probably 2 of them or are they not allowed to vote being.....
Angelo, Armagh18 and Shooters are likely 3 being of the  of the hate "freestaters(sic)" camp.
The other 2 are having the craic.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: Rossfan on March 24, 2021, 05:12:37 PM
Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on March 24, 2021, 05:01:09 PM

EvilG and Michael are probably 2 of them or are they not allowed to vote being.....
Angelo, Armagh18 and Shooters are likely 3 being of the  of the hate "freestaters(sic)" camp.
The other 2 are having the craic.
I include the Southern No's in that too just for the record.

yellowcard

Quote from: trailer on March 24, 2021, 04:11:43 PM
A lot of Northern Republicans do try and go out of their way to prove they are "Ultra Irish"

A handy check list is

Love The Wolfe Tones
Love Celtic / Hate Rangers
Huge SF supporters - see no wrong support - cult like
Hate any Nationalists who don't subscribe to their way of thinking
Want to ram a United Ireland down everyone's throats and have no time for relationship building with others of a different viewpoint

I wouldn't conflate some of that with Irishness. Some of it is just pure tokenism but neither would I criticise those living in socially deprived interface areas for latching onto some of these ideals. It is just their way of expressing their identity and giving themselves a common purpose. If it makes them feel more Irish themselves then so be it, its not going to offend me. Thankfully I live in a part of the north where I don't feel as though I have to go around waving a tricolour and wearing a Celtic jersey. So it is all down to lived experiences and each persons experience is different. All nationalists and republicans do not fall into a single category and I don't like those sweeping generalisations.

I do agree that there needs to be a dialling down of rhetoric from some political representatives (I presume that is what you are referring to) and I think in fairness that there has been some of this within SF since Mary Lou took over the leadership of the party and the old war veterans are gradually phased out. Politicians such as Martina Anderson would be best advised to show a little bit more humility, I don't think that serves their cause any good in trying to win a border poll. It's just Sammy Wilson in reverse and only serves to beat the drum to a particular base by reinforcing some of the stereotypes that you've expressed. 

I think a lot of this is largely a generational thing. People under the age of 40 now have very hazy memories of the troubles and just want a fairer society with a chance of making a decent living with decent public services and where they feel free to express their identity whatever that may be. Younger people now are much more open and less entrenched in their views.