HOW WOULD YOU VOTE IN A BORDER POLL?

Started by RedHand88, March 20, 2021, 02:56:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you back unity if a border poll was held tomorrow?

Yes (Northerner)
No (Northerner)
Yes (Southener)
No (Southener)

seafoid

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on March 24, 2021, 02:19:52 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 24, 2021, 11:14:49 AM
Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on March 23, 2021, 10:07:17 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 23, 2021, 01:53:43 PM
The 6 counties are always going to be treated differently because of the polarisation. Currently they are neither fully Irish nor fully British but something in between.
In a United Ireland that would not change.
It will be heartbreaking  for Northern Shinners to live in a country that is not a romantic republic straight out of the Wolfe Tones.
Free stater mindset clear for all to see again. People in the 6 counties are as Irish as you, if not more, as they've had to fight for their identity.
NI is never going to be the same as Mayo because a certain proportion of the peple do not identify as Irish. The best that can be hoped for is some sort of fudge.
If NI were the same as Mayo the armed struggle would have won.
Nonsense, typical free stater partitionist attitude who knows fa about the north.
A certain proportion in the north can identify however they please, that's nothing to do with the Irish in the north. There is plenty in the south that do not identify as Irish.
The north IS the same as Mayo.
The difference is (can't believe I'm having to spell this out) that the south sold the north up the river and the British state establishment in the north had greater power in the "armed struggle".
I'd say you're one of the boys that would vote against a UI.
The people are the same, Jesus Christ.
The status of the counties is not the same. There is no trace of Britishness in Mayo and there will always be some in Armagh even in a united Ireland.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

yellowcard

Quote from: sid waddell on March 24, 2021, 02:03:44 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on March 24, 2021, 11:21:04 AM
The 6 counties are always going to be treated differently because of the polarisation. Currently they are neither fully Irish nor fully British but something in between.
It will be heartbreaking  for Northern Shinners to live in a country that is not a romantic republic straight out of the Wolfe Tones.
Free stater mindset clear for all to see again. People in the 6 counties are as Irish as you, if not more, as they've had to fight for their identity.

Nordie in I'm more Irish than you shocker

only difference is we fought for our identity and won
There's a bizarre sort of stage Irishness with a minority of Northern nationalists - like you get with a lot of Irish Americans, or old time London Irish

A sort internal dissonance or insecurity - they feel they have to constantly prove their Irishness, but they try to fool themselves that that conscious, over the top performance makes them more Irish - it doesn't, and misunderstands what Irishness is

The DUP do this with Britishness as well

Eamonn Collins sort of lifted the lid on the internal contradictions felt by some northern nationalists when he stated that despite embracing the over the top caricature of performative "I'm more Irish than you"ness for many years, he actually felt much more at home when he was in Derby than in Dublin - the streetscape, the million little everyday things people did, England felt more "familiar" than Dublin, which felt more foreign

And certainly Glasgow seemed much more familiar and less foreign compared to Newry or Belfast than Dublin did

I'm not quite sure where you're coming from here at all. Stage Irishness, what exactly does that involve anyway?

As for stating that England feels more like home than Dublin, well the mind boggles. As someone who crosses the border every day and who has also spent some time in England, well that is just simply nonsense. English mentality is very different with the odd exception. If you've ever spent a weeks holidays in a British tourist resort you'd soon know the difference.

Is that Eamonn Collins, the former IRA informer you are talking about? Just because he says it doesn't mean it is true.

I'm not sure what this sudden obsession with southern Irish trying to tell northern nationalists that they should be more British than Irish is anyway. I'm not sure is it just some posters trolling or if they genuinely believe their own statements. Either way this is totally out of touch with the reality in my experience.     

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: seafoid on March 24, 2021, 02:49:17 PM
NI is never going to be the same as Mayo because a certain proportion of the peple do not identify as Irish. The best that can be hoped for is some sort of fudge.
Nonsense, typical free stater partitionist attitude who knows fa about the north.
A certain proportion in the north can identify however they please, that's nothing to do with the Irish in the north. There is plenty in the south that do not identify as Irish.
The difference is (can't believe I'm having to spell this out) that the south sold the north up the river and the British state establishment in the north had greater power in the "armed struggle".
The status of the counties is not the same. There is no trace of Britishness in Mayo and there will always be some in Armagh even in a united Ireland.
The status is the same.
There are British people in Mayo.
Both are counties in Ireland.

Angelo

Quote from: yellowcard on March 24, 2021, 02:50:48 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on March 24, 2021, 02:03:44 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on March 24, 2021, 11:21:04 AM

Nordie in I'm more Irish than you shocker

only difference is we fought for our identity and won
There's a bizarre sort of stage Irishness with a minority of Northern nationalists - like you get with a lot of Irish Americans, or old time London Irish

A sort internal dissonance or insecurity - they feel they have to constantly prove their Irishness, but they try to fool themselves that that conscious, over the top performance makes them more Irish - it doesn't, and misunderstands what Irishness is

The DUP do this with Britishness as well

Eamonn Collins sort of lifted the lid on the internal contradictions felt by some northern nationalists when he stated that despite embracing the over the top caricature of performative "I'm more Irish than you"ness for many years, he actually felt much more at home when he was in Derby than in Dublin - the streetscape, the million little everyday things people did, England felt more "familiar" than Dublin, which felt more foreign

And certainly Glasgow seemed much more familiar and less foreign compared to Newry or Belfast than Dublin did

I'm not quite sure where you're coming from here at all. Stage Irishness, what exactly does that involve anyway?

As for stating that England feels more like home than Dublin, well the mind boggles. As someone who crosses the border every day and who has also spent some time in England, well that is just simply nonsense. English mentality is very different with the odd exception. If you've ever spent a weeks holidays in a British tourist resort you'd soon know the difference.

Is that Eamonn Collins, the former IRA informer you are talking about? Just because he says it doesn't mean it is true.

I'm not sure what this sudden obsession with southern Irish trying to tell northern nationalists that they should be more British than Irish is anyway. I'm not sure is it just some posters trolling or if they genuinely believe their own statements. Either way this is totally out of touch with the reality in my experience.     

I would put it down to Free Stater guilt manifesting itself into a defence mechanism. It's time for them to first of all acknowledge their state's failings to northern nationalists since The Troubles broke out and then to show some contrition for it.

Any who says the Free State establishment has shown anything but contempt to Northern nationalists for the past 50 years is truly deluded.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

sid waddell

There's more than a touch of quaint Britishness about Westport, there's even a touch of England's green and pleasant land about Castlebar with its nice village green

But neither feels remotely like Portadown or Lurgan

Maybe a bit like Armagh

general_lee

Do different towns/cities make people feel more or less Irish or something?

sid waddell

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on March 24, 2021, 02:52:38 PM
The status is the same.
Bayonne and Bilbao are both in the Basque Country but, in another, more pertinent way in terms of international status, Bayonne is in France and Bilbao is in Spain

There are lots English people in Torremolinos but it isn't in England

There are lots of Irish in Boston but it isn't in Ireland

sid waddell

Quote from: general_lee on March 24, 2021, 02:59:43 PM
Do different towns/cities make people feel more or less Irish or something?
Athlone makes me feel less Irish

Shithole

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: sid waddell on March 24, 2021, 03:01:23 PM
The status is the same.
Bayonne and Bilbao are both in the Basque Country but, in another, more pertinent way in terms of international status, Bayonne is in France and Bilbao is in Spain

And what

An Watcher

I feel a hell of alot more at home in westport or Cork than I would in East Belfast or the Shankill Road. Similarly I'm sure there are alot of D4 dubs who'd feel more at home watching Bristol or harlequins in England than they would watching Crossmaglen or gaoth dobhair

sid waddell

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on March 24, 2021, 03:06:23 PM
The status is the same.

And what
Mayo is in a state called Ireland

Armagh is in a state called the United Kingdom

If the status of the counties was the same you wouldn't be calling for a border poll

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: sid waddell on March 24, 2021, 03:09:32 PM
The status is the same.

And what
Mayo is in a state called Ireland

Armagh is in a state called the United Kingdom

If the status of the counties was the same you wouldn't be calling for a border poll
Armagh is in a state called Ireland.
Both were once under British rule, now one of those is.
The status of both counties was the same back then, just as it is now.

Seafoid saying the north will always be a different status to the south just doesn't add up, as the south was once in the same boat as the north.

HiMucker

Really? You sure about that now? The language the people are speaking is a fairly big trace dont you think? Not to mention the countless other examples. Nearly our entire Island is inextricably linked to Britain for forever more whether people like it or not.

Rossfan

When did Armagh secede from the 6 Counties? ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: sid waddell on March 24, 2021, 03:09:32 PM
The status is the same.

And what
Mayo is in a state called choking when the reach an Ireland

Armagh is in a state where the United Kingdom had to move about in helicopters because the ground was a no go.

Fixed that for ya Sid
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets