HOW WOULD YOU VOTE IN A BORDER POLL?

Started by RedHand88, March 20, 2021, 02:56:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you back unity if a border poll was held tomorrow?

Yes (Northerner)
No (Northerner)
Yes (Southener)
No (Southener)

seafoid

Quote from: johnnycool on March 23, 2021, 09:11:06 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on March 23, 2021, 08:49:57 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on March 23, 2021, 08:22:23 AM
Micheal is Micheal, the worse leader of any political party in the history of this Island.
You can find any opinion on the internet

Happy to be proved wrong when you show me an instance when he showed leadership or backbone!
As bad as Brookeborough or Arlene ?
Did Martin ever put the future of the unit he is charge of in jeopardy ? Arlene did
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

sid waddell

I thought Sarah Creighton was interesting

She's a Unionist

But she also seems very liberal and sensible in her views on bread and butter political issues, she came across like she'd be in Labour or the Social Democrats if she was in the Republic

This is a section of Northern society we hear very little from - progressive women who are Unionists or from Unionist backgrounds

Sophie Long is one of the few others with any platform I can think of, maybe Linda Ervine is another one, I suppose Sylvia Hermon was too

But they are very marginalised in public debate and seem to have nowhere to go politically, which is a pity because they have a great deal to contribute, I think they're the most interesting demographic in NI

Snapchap

Quote from: seafoid on March 23, 2021, 10:07:18 AM
Would people accept a smaller NI enclave if it meant the rest of the 6 counties became part of the South ?

Should we abandon a section of Irish citizens in a sectarian gerrymandered state designed to ensure they are in a minority?

Cos it worked so well the first time?

Christ Almighty.

sid waddell

Micheal is Micheal, the worse leader of any political party in the history of this Island.

Happy to be proved wrong when you show me an instance when he showed leadership or backbone!
I thought he showed excellent leadership in the marriage and abortion referendums even though much of his party was clearly not supportive in private

He led on the smoking ban and plastic bag tax

I wouldn't vote for him but I think he's a decent man, honest and a good listener, he isn't charismatic but I think that's a much overrated quality

In bare electoral terms he has been a success given where Fianna Fail were when he took over and I think whoever eventually takes over from him will lead the party to oblivion, their support is literally dying out

Fintan O'Toole wrote an article last summer which was quite praiseworthy of his time in politics

I don't think Fianna Fail had a decent man as leader before him since Jack Lynch, they were all sleveens and hucksters, Reynolds was the best leader they had in that time but he was still a huckster

pbat

Economics are going to win this argument, people like Bryson who wrap themselves in the flag are not worth wasting time talking to and Gregory will have his house on the market within days of a referendum and relocate to Surrey or somewhere. Its the Andrew Trimble's of this world, educated with young families from both sides need convincing.

I'm working in Dublin with a lad from Portadown who comes from a very loyalist family, would be aware of their history. He was working in London Monday - Friday but wanted to come home for his kids. He was offered a role with the two leading contractors in the North both offering him 50k. He took a role with us in Dublin on 80K euro, I was keeping him going about coming down to Dublin to take Irish money, his answer was "as Neil Diamond said Money Talks ".

I would also notice this boom in the south there is a lot more protestant lads coming down to work Monday to Friday than the Boom of 03-08, we have 3 crews on site one from Bangor, one from Ballymena and one from Enniskillen, wouldn't have seen them before. They are seeing the prosperity and want a bit of the action.

Another big thing coming down the tracks which will have a major impact is as soon as the Pandemic is over the Tories are going to privatise/sell of the NHS, American health providers are already circling. Free Health Care is about the only argument Ian Og or Jim Allister can role out. 

oakleaflad

I've seen a lot of people saying 'we can't afford the North' but surely on an island our size we'd be better off having an All Ireland economy? Are studies like the following nonsense?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/business/arid-20388959.html

Applesisapples

Quote from: sid waddell on March 22, 2021, 11:02:22 PM
Wouldn't be a big fan of Bruton but I thought he was very sensible

Brolly flunked that big time

Went the Angelo route

Didn't work at all, unsurprisingly

Claire Byrne is very distracting, a standing ovation indeed, but make sure not to stand up
To be fair Brolly was pointing out the anti abortion homophobia of the DUP and should have been asked to provide examples, which he did today on twitter.

yellowcard

Quote from: pbat on March 23, 2021, 11:34:45 AM
Economics are going to win this argument, people like Bryson who wrap themselves in the flag are not worth wasting time talking to and Gregory will have his house on the market within days of a referendum and relocate to Surrey or somewhere. Its the Andrew Trimble's of this world, educated with young families from both sides need convincing.

I'm working in Dublin with a lad from Portadown who comes from a very loyalist family, would be aware of their history. He was working in London Monday - Friday but wanted to come home for his kids. He was offered a role with the two leading contractors in the North both offering him 50k. He took a role with us in Dublin on 80K euro, I was keeping him going about coming down to Dublin to take Irish money, his answer was "as Neil Diamond said Money Talks ".

I would also notice this boom in the south there is a lot more protestant lads coming down to work Monday to Friday than the Boom of 03-08, we have 3 crews on site one from Bangor, one from Ballymena and one from Enniskillen, wouldn't have seen them before. They are seeing the prosperity and want a bit of the action.

Another big thing coming down the tracks which will have a major impact is as soon as the Pandemic is over the Tories are going to privatise/sell of the NHS, American health providers are already circling. Free Health Care is about the only argument Ian Og or Jim Allister can role out.

I think that is precisely it.

Before a border poll is called which will likely be in 5+ years there will need to be a body of work done in preparing the economic argument. Given that the poll can only be triggered by a British SOS it is likely that it will have a reasonable level of success when it does takes place. Therefore the middle 20% will be the deciding factor and that is where the economics come into play. Alliance politicians and their voter base will hold the key and this will not be based on identity but rather a pragmatic choice based on economics, health, education, rights, housing etc.

There will be foreign nationals voting in that poll as well and nobody knows how that would translate into a border poll but political unionism is so inward looking and entrenched that I can't imagine it holding much broad appeal particularly to a younger generation who can be swayed either way.

Unfortunately those with a voice in the media representing unionism tend to be the Allisters, Paisleys, Wilsons, Campbells of this world. A lot of younger unionists must despair at the calibre of politician they are producing.   

general_lee

Quote from: oakleaflad on March 23, 2021, 11:51:32 AM
I've seen a lot of people saying 'we can't afford the North' but surely on an island our size we'd be better off having an All Ireland economy? Are studies like the following nonsense?

I'm not an economist but surely it stands to reason that after 100 years, most of which has been spent as an economic failure, the move towards an all-island economy can only benefit the North.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Snapchap on March 23, 2021, 10:58:00 AM
Quote from: seafoid on March 23, 2021, 10:07:18 AM
Would people accept a smaller NI enclave if it meant the rest of the 6 counties became part of the South ?

Should we abandon a section of Irish citizens in a sectarian gerrymandered state designed to ensure they are in a minority?

Cos it worked so well the first time?

Christ Almighty.
That was obviously a wind up post! Who da f**k wants another partition? f**king hell!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Applesisapples

Sarah Creighton and Andrew Trimble represent a swathe of soft unionism which could be persuaded to accept some form of unity that reflects all identities. Calling an early poll will not help. I still believe that SF don't necessarily want an early poll but it is part of their strategy to keep debate going. Martin is out of his depth on all fronts not just on the unity debate.

armaghniac

Quote from: general_lee on March 23, 2021, 12:04:00 PM

I'm not an economist but surely it stands to reason that after 100 years, most of which has been spent as an economic failure, the move towards an all-island economy can only benefit the North.

I don't think anyone denys that this will improve production in the North. However, consumption in the North is supported by a bung from Westminster every year, and therein lies the debate.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Applesisapples

The disappointing thing for me in last nights show was the failure of all the nationalist participants to point out that for all the talk from unionism for equality in the NI state, not on symbol from the nationalism is reflected in the official representation of the state. A lot of talk though on unionist symbols in a new Ireland.

Applesisapples

Quote from: armaghniac on March 23, 2021, 12:08:08 PM
Quote from: general_lee on March 23, 2021, 12:04:00 PM

I don't think anyone denys that this will improve production in the North. However, consumption in the North is supported by a bung from Westminster every year, and therein lies the debate.
If an agreed Ireland can be achieved the costs associated will be resolved. Britain would pay to be rid of us.

Angelo

Quote from: sid waddell on March 23, 2021, 11:08:31 AM

I thought he showed excellent leadership in the marriage and abortion referendums even though much of his party was clearly not supportive in private

He led on the smoking ban and plastic bag tax

I wouldn't vote for him but I think he's a decent man, honest and a good listener, he isn't charismatic but I think that's a much overrated quality

In bare electoral terms he has been a success given where Fianna Fail were when he took over and I think whoever eventually takes over from him will lead the party to oblivion, their support is literally dying out

Fintan O'Toole wrote an article last summer which was quite praiseworthy of his time in politics

I don't think Fianna Fail had a decent man as leader before him since Jack Lynch, they were all sleveens and hucksters, Reynolds was the best leader they had in that time but he was still a huckster

You really are a parody of Eoghan Harris at this stage.

GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL