HOW WOULD YOU VOTE IN A BORDER POLL?

Started by RedHand88, March 20, 2021, 02:56:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you back unity if a border poll was held tomorrow?

Yes (Northerner)
No (Northerner)
Yes (Southener)
No (Southener)

Angelo

The partitionists can keep angling against it but it will happen in this decade despite all their efforts to prevent it.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Angelo on March 22, 2021, 07:06:42 PM
The partitionists can keep angling against it but it will happen in this decade despite all their efforts to prevent it.

What will happen in this decade? A poll, a referendum, a plan for a poll or a plan for a referendum?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Angelo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 22, 2021, 07:18:58 PM

What will happen in this decade? A poll, a referendum, a plan for a poll or a plan for a referendum?

I think there is enough groundswell of support both sides of the border for a poll to be called and the demographics are only trending more in support of it.

Kidder81

Quote from: Angelo on March 22, 2021, 07:32:15 PM

I think there is enough groundswell of support both sides of the border for a poll to be called and the demographics are only trending more in support of it.

Nope

Milltown Row2

I'm struggling with that part, I'd thinking both sides would be up here rather than down there.

I'd be happier if liberal prods could see the benefits first before asking a poll
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

general_lee

Quote from: Lar Naparka on March 22, 2021, 06:20:05 PM
Again, that's an eminently sensible post. However, no matter who you listen to, the North needs  massive injection of cash every year to stay solvent. If you google for "British annual subvention to Northern Ireland," you will find estimates varying between 8 and 15 billion. Whatever the true figure may be the North will need billions of outside help to survive.
That's the first issue that crosses most peoples' minds when the subject of a border poll crops up.
PS All nationalist parties claim they want to see a united Ireland but don't think that now is a good time to start agitating for one.  In other words, mess this one up and cause sectarian rows and tension that will last for years. Also, an election referendum can only be held if there's a gap of seven years between referenda.
IMO, calling for an election now is inadvisable.
That is entirely correct, we in the north live in a basketcase. However I disagree, now is the time to turn the screw. With Scotland posed for an election in 45 days and a likely return of a majority of pro-independence MSPs (and thus a pledge for indyref2) it would be expedient of SF and whoever else to agitate for a border poll. I will admit at this juncture that Unionist concerns, at least the more belligerent ones, are far down my list of concerns.

seafoid

I think that when the peace process got going the Brits made a tactical decision to reduce the risk of a return to violence by throwing money at the 6 counties. It would have been cheaper to invest in skills and productivity but they didn't.

https://youtu.be/PlGmYetiCjA

Lar Naparka

Quote from: general_lee on March 22, 2021, 08:25:18 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on March 22, 2021, 06:20:05 PM
Again, that's an eminently sensible post. However, no matter who you listen to, the North needs  massive injection of cash every year to stay solvent. If you google for "British annual subvention to Northern Ireland," you will find estimates varying between 8 and 15 billion. Whatever the true figure may be the North will need billions of outside help to survive.
That's the first issue that crosses most peoples' minds when the subject of a border poll crops up.
PS All nationalist parties claim they want to see a united Ireland but don't think that now is a good time to start agitating for one.  In other words, mess this one up and cause sectarian rows and tension that will last for years. Also, an election referendum can only be held if there's a gap of seven years between referenda.
IMO, calling for an election now is inadvisable.
That is entirely correct, we in the north live in a basketcase. However I disagree, now is the time to turn the screw. With Scotland posed for an election in 45 days and a likely return of a majority of pro-independence MSPs (and thus a pledge for indyref2) it would be expedient of SF and whoever else to agitate for a border poll. I will admit at this juncture that Unionist concerns, at least the more belligerent ones, are far down my list of concerns.
Again, I don't disagree with any of that. However, loyalist tensions are rising over the issue of having a border of any sort between the 6 cos and the PSNI say they are closely monitoring the situation  Inflaming sectarian feeling right now wouldn't be advisable.
Also, you can't half turn on a light or give someone a half kick up the backside. In the same manner,, you can't half call an election. If SF had sent out feelers in the conventional way politicians communicate with each other, they might get somewhere. They know this full well and they know what the response was going to be.
Back in the Celtic Tiger days I was on pretty good terms with Bertie Ahern.  Bertie wasn't a regular in the Yacht in Clontarf but he's drop in for a pint or two from time to time.
Just by pure coincidence, of course, he'd bump into Ruairi Quinn of the Labour Party. They's stop to have a quick chat and no outsider wouldn't be any the wiser. But those chance meetings were carefully choreographed. After all, they were supposed to be deadly enemies and they were but only on a political level. It was in both parties' interests to keep communication lines open.
No matter which Miceal and Mary Lou personally think of the other, it's inconceivable that there is no communication between their parties just as the White House and the Kremlin have their own protected hotline between the leaders. I'm saying that if the Shinners really wanted yo open discussions with any of the other parties they need not use the media to issue invitations to anyone.
I mean it wouldn't do Miceal or Leo's public image if they have spent their careers  hopping fucks of Mary Lou's hide and then turn around and say, "Incidentally, we are have unification talks with Sinn Fein.
IMO, Sinn Fein are playing double entendre here. THey know damn well that challenging FFG or any other politician to openly discuss any sensitive issue that might go anywhere won't get a positive response from any side.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Angelo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 22, 2021, 08:15:48 PM

I'm struggling with that part, I'd thinking both sides would be up here rather than down there.

I'd be happier if liberal prods could see the benefits first before asking a poll

All 10 of them?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Angelo on March 22, 2021, 09:14:19 PM

All 10 of them?

Well good luck with your attitude

clonadmad

Quote from: Angelo on March 22, 2021, 09:14:19 PM

All 10 of them?

Seek Help Son

Rois

Discussion on this topic on CB Live at the minute

Angelo

Gregory Campbell exemplifying the entrenched intransigence of unionism. It's going to happen regardless of the tantrum they throw. They are not for turning, they don't want to be engaged.

RedHand88

Quote from: Angelo on March 22, 2021, 10:03:56 PM
Gregory Campbell exemplifying the entrenched intransigence of unionism. It's going to happen regardless of the tantrum they throw. They are not for turning, they don't want to be engaged.

There is no point trying to bring people like Gregory into the conversation. He offers nothing outside of no no never.

Angelo

Quote from: RedHand88 on March 22, 2021, 10:05:37 PM
Quote from: Angelo on March 22, 2021, 10:03:56 PM

There is no point trying to bring people like Gregory into the conversation. He offers nothing outside of no no never.

Yes and that's the largest representation of unionism and loyalism.