Laois Senior Hurling Championship 2022

Started by Ogie, January 31, 2022, 02:02:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ottoman

I'm fairly sure Clough or Ballacolla were never separate clubs and have always hurled together. They have hurled under different names throughout their life time alright. From memory they have been called Ballygeehan, St Canices, Ballacolla and then Clough Ballacolla. But always represent and drew their players from the parash of Aghaboe.

On the topic of Ballacolla. Myself growing up and hurling for Portlaoise in the 90's, if you had to tell me then that Clough Ballacolla would be winning 3 in a row within the next 25 years I'd have sent you to get checked out. I don't know what started the revival but surely it could be seen as inspiration to other clubs  who have always sat on the periphery that it can be achieved.

SCFC

Quote from: clonadmad on October 03, 2022, 10:32:58 AM
Quote from: burdizzo on October 02, 2022, 05:53:43 PM
Quote from: Keyser Söze on October 02, 2022, 04:42:12 PM
Looks that way.
It certainly didn't go how I thought it would.
CB goal chance came out of nowhere.

It was a nice little dink through from young Cillian Dunne, though! Camross should have had a couple of goals, at least - Collier missing the best of the chances. But Ballacolla were good enough at dragging down the runners, as well! Dunphy on absolute fire in the first half, and Picky and Darren Maher not too bad, either.

Camross gave a bit of timber just after conceding that goal, but it was pointless really, as they were very much outclassed. Fair play to Ballacolla - two significant adult titles this year, and still in the minor final to play. It's not all that long ago they were a mediocre club, but they've left nearly everyone else well behind. And as for these amalgamations? Borris-Kilcotton, Colt-Shanahoe, Park-Timahoe? Not really doing the business these days, either, eh? I don't really think it's the answer.

Clough Ballacolla are an amalgamation similar to those clubs you highlighted as are Rathdowney Errill
What clubs amalgamated to form Clough Ballacolla? I always thought it was just a name change rather than an amalgamation? But I'd be far from an expert.

redsetanta

Fair play to CB. A great achievement to do 3 in a row.

They seem to have a good blend of older, experienced players and young players stepping up to senior.

From what I've heard and read they are probably a better team this year so it would be great if they got a good run in Leinster. When Willie Dunphy is talking about it in his post match interview you know they will be giving it a right go again.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

burdizzo

Looks that way.

It was a nice little dink through from young Cillian Dunne, though! Camross should have had a couple of goals, at least - Collier missing the best of the chances. But Ballacolla were good enough at dragging down the runners, as well! Dunphy on absolute fire in the first half, and Picky and Darren Maher not too bad, either.

Camross gave a bit of timber just after conceding that goal, but it was pointless really, as they were very much outclassed. Fair play to Ballacolla - two significant adult titles this year, and still in the minor final to play. It's not all that long ago they were a mediocre club, but they've left nearly everyone else well behind. And as for these amalgamations? Borris-Kilcotton, Colt-Shanahoe, Park-Timahoe? Not really doing the business these days, either, eh? I don't really think it's the answer.

Clough Ballacolla are an amalgamation similar to those clubs you highlighted as are Rathdowney Errill

As other posters have pointed out, Clough-Ballacolla is not an amalgamation. Of course, Rathdowney-Errill is one that has been successful, but looking at all the others I mentioned (and you could also cite Harps, even Tinnahinch as ultimately unsuccessful join-ups), you could still say C/B is a good example of how to improve a club's lot without the 'quick-fix' of amalgamating. Another example would be Rosenalis, of course.

clonadmad

Quote from: burdizzo on October 03, 2022, 11:55:02 AM
Looks that way.

As other posters have pointed out, Clough-Ballacolla is not an amalgamation. Of course, Rathdowney-Errill is one that has been successful, but looking at all the others I mentioned (and you could also cite Harps, even Tinnahinch as ultimately unsuccessful join-ups), you could still say C/B is a good example of how to improve a club's lot without the 'quick-fix' of amalgamating. Another example would be Rosenalis, of course.

The Harps can't be described as a quick fix amalgamation either

It's one thing singling out bed hopping amalgamations

It's another thing singling out stable well established clubs like R/E,the harps etc to suit whatever agenda you have in your own head

Laois man

Jesus the Harps are together 38years and do never won a senior final have won a lot of minors and underage titles.

burdizzo

Quote from: clonadmad on October 03, 2022, 12:30:03 PM
Looks that way.

It's another thing singling out stable well established clubs like R/E,the harps etc to suit whatever agenda you have in your own head

Jaysus, you're terrible touchy altogether! Granted The Harps are long-established, but they never won a county title, either.

clonadmad

Quote from: burdizzo on October 03, 2022, 01:38:33 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on October 03, 2022, 12:30:03 PM
Looks that way.

Jaysus, you're terrible touchy altogether! Granted The Harps are long-established, but they never won a county title, either.

And yet amalgamated clubs such as R/E and B/K have won county senior titles

What exactly is your point because you aren't making much of a cogent argument

Spiritof86

Looks that way.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Park/Timahoe reach the Junior A and Junior C finals this year and got promoted a few years ago to intermediate. They must be doing somethings right . We can pick at straws all day long but the proof is there . Rathdowney/Erill and B/K have won county titles with this process . It doesn't happen overnight and takes a bit of work from both clubs to make it happen .

Laois man

Should be parish rule in Laois anyway. Down the line with fellas going aboard and with work commitments clubs will have to join up if you haven't the number you can't field a team. How many clubs in Laois have no juvenile set up?

burdizzo

Quote from: Spiritof86 on October 03, 2022, 02:52:03 PM
Looks that way.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Park/Timahoe reach the Junior A and Junior C finals this year and got promoted a few years ago to intermediate. They must be doing somethings right . We can pick at straws all day long but the proof is there . Rathdowney/Erill and B/K have won county titles with this process . It doesn't happen overnight and takes a bit of work from both clubs to make it happen .

I'd say Park-Timahoe would consider merely reaching the Junior A final a big disappointment for them. For the amalgamation to be considered a succes, they'd want to be competing for Intermediate titles, at least. And, in fairness to them, they DO have a decent underage set-up.

Spiritof86

Agreed . Was at a league match late summer over there. Lot of really good work been done at Park/Timahoe from underage upwards .

SpeculativeEffort

Like most things amalgamations must be considered  and judged on a case by case basis. Saying 'amalgamations don't work' or 'amalgamations are the only way' are both equally simplistic and inaccurate.

If an area has the resources (population base, feeder schools) to have a healthy club when run properly then no amalgamation is needed. However if an area is competing at a low level and struggling to field teams even when the effort level is good then it should be considered. Amalgamations like RE and BK have united the rural and urban parts of those areas. Both Errill and Kilcotton have huge history of hurling and great ppl involved but low populations. I think the likes of BK and RE wouldn't be considered big clubs in places like Tipp or Galway.

Robbo

Poor final by all accounts. Makes it a poor cship in honesty. Hopefully ballacolla can get another scalp in leinster.

It was mentioned on Midlands radio yesterday that Camross will be entering 5 adult teams next year. That's incredible if true.

Silkyskillssunshinee

CB away to Dublin champions in 1st round of Leinster. Very difficult to see them having a similar run to last season and they won't be underestimated this time around. Wish them the best of luck though.

I fancy Abbeyleix to have a real run at the Leinster intermediate though. They've a good draw and have a pathway through to the final as I think they avoid KK/Dublin/Wexford side. Hopefully they give a good account of themselves at Senior next year as well.