Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TwoUpTwoDown

Quote from: Ty4Sam on October 02, 2022, 02:36:30 PM
Quote from: An Watcher on October 02, 2022, 01:32:21 PM
Barney Gormley is the Head of PE there now so think that's where the push is coming from

Barney Gormley has been head of PE there for the past 20+ years

Don't know if he has anything to do with GAA in there but Norf probably knows more as it's his country

Moonshine

Quote from: clarshack on October 02, 2022, 02:45:56 PM
Aghaloo look very impressive.

Will hardly beat you though. You boys will be playing in croker

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: TwoUpTwoDown on October 02, 2022, 10:10:00 AM
Quote from: Norf Tyrone on October 02, 2022, 05:55:22 AM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on October 01, 2022, 11:19:43 PM
Onto schools football for a moment, what the heck in going on at St. Pat's College**, Dungannon ? I was looking at the gradings/sections for the U19 & U16.5 Ulster football competitions for the coming academic year and with seven different grades of competition at U16.5 I thought it was bad enough with Sacred Heart Omagh playing in the "F" grade but then I noticed SPCD entering in the "G" grade! Something must be seriously wrong at a Catholic co-ed secondary school of about 800 students in an area where Gaelic football is very popular for them having to resort to entering at the lowest grade, the school that Art McRory once helped blood a lot of future club & county footballers through in the past (if I'm not mistaken)? In their same section is Drumragh Integrated and St. John's Dromore, the latter being the smallest post-primary school in Tyrone.

I wonder if it's time for the Tyrone County Board to look at offering a helping hand at both St. Pat's College and Sacred Heart Omagh, because with the amount of students at both places (even allowing for the "town" factor for each) they really should be ideally competing at higher grades than what they are right now, should be "C" or "D" at least?

** (note - not the Academy next door!)

Can never understand why there was never an investigation of similar ilk to Holy Cross Collage. One of the biggest schools in the North.

I've a nephew in HCC and he said it's just a soccer school similar to St Columb's in Derry. Apparently a few members of staff are really pushing GAA the past few years but nephew will be gone before anything happens from that.

Logically you couldn't expect much from them when you see the clubs surrounding them in the lower divisions of Tyrone football. Strabane didn't field a minor team for games this year! I'm not sure if they take children from Doengal but the likes of Lifford and Castlefin aren't big GAA areas either.

In fairness there is one or two teachers starting to push it and credit to them.

However re the surrounding clubs argument. I can understand why people say that. However there has to be systems and structures put in place at the school in tandem with the Clubs that starts to move things in the right direction. There has been plenty of years where the year groups have been made up of underage teams that were mostly grade one and grade two and there was no structured corresponding year group from what I know, hear and see. Reports of teams being told about the first training session the day before the game etc.

At the very least you've had decent year groups playing and losing in very low level schools competition.

The culture of GAA in North Tyrone is not as strong as the rest of Tyrone, and that's owned by the Clubs, and schools of the area, but the TCB, I would've thought would have a vested interest in helping improve that.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

GlenMan

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on October 02, 2022, 07:05:29 PM
Onto schools football for a moment, what the heck in going on at St. Pat's College**, Dungannon ? I was looking at the gradings/sections for the U19 & U16.5 Ulster football competitions for the coming academic year and with seven different grades of competition at U16.5 I thought it was bad enough with Sacred Heart Omagh playing in the "F" grade but then I noticed SPCD entering in the "G" grade! Something must be seriously wrong at a Catholic co-ed secondary school of about 800 students in an area where Gaelic football is very popular for them having to resort to entering at the lowest grade, the school that Art McRory once helped blood a lot of future club & county footballers through in the past (if I'm not mistaken)? In their same section is Drumragh Integrated and St. John's Dromore, the latter being the smallest post-primary school in Tyrone.

I wonder if it's time for the Tyrone County Board to look at offering a helping hand at both St. Pat's College and Sacred Heart Omagh, because with the amount of students at both places (even allowing for the "town" factor for each) they really should be ideally competing at higher grades than what they are right now, should be "C" or "D" at least?

Can never understand why there was never an investigation of similar ilk to Holy Cross Collage. One of the biggest schools in the North.

I've a nephew in HCC and he said it's just a soccer school similar to St Columb's in Derry. Apparently a few members of staff are really pushing GAA the past few years but nephew will be gone before anything happens from that.

Logically you couldn't expect much from them when you see the clubs surrounding them in the lower divisions of Tyrone football. Strabane didn't field a minor team for games this year! I'm not sure if they take children from Doengal but the likes of Lifford and Castlefin aren't big GAA areas either.

In fairness there is one or two teachers starting to push it and credit to them.

However re the surrounding clubs argument. I can understand why people say that. However there has to be systems and structures put in place at the school in tandem with the Clubs that starts to move things in the right direction. There has been plenty of years where the year groups have been made up of underage teams that were mostly grade one and grade two and there was no structured corresponding year group from what I know, hear and see. Reports of teams being told about the first training session the day before the game etc.

At the very least you've had decent year groups playing and losing in very low level schools competition.

The culture of GAA in North Tyrone is not as strong as the rest of Tyrone, and that's owned by the Clubs, and schools of the area, but the TCB, I would've thought would have a vested interest in helping improve that.

Agreed. Has the decrease in School resources/budgets had an affect over the last 12 years too though?

Soccer is obviously a more popular sport in that school but how successful have HCC soccer teams been over the last decade? Have they won anything notable? Omagh CBS won a soccer title last school year along with a few GAA titles. I'm not convinced it's just a lack of focus on GAA that's the issue.

More likely a lack of resources across all sports in Schools - especially those without the pedigree of performing at highest level of Ulster Schools.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: GlenMan on October 02, 2022, 07:13:58 PM
Quote from: Norf Tyrone on October 02, 2022, 07:05:29 PM

Agreed. Has the decrease in School resources/budgets had an affect over the last 12 years too though?

Soccer is obviously a more popular sport in that school but how successful have HCC soccer teams been over the last decade? Have they won anything notable? Omagh CBS won a soccer title last school year along with a few GAA titles. I'm not convinced it's just a lack of focus on GAA that's the issue.

More likely a lack of resources across all sports in Schools - especially those without the pedigree of performing at highest level of Ulster Schools.

Regularly get to the latter stages of the NI Schools Cup.

Won the schools Cup at least twice in the last ten years.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Under Lights

Quick turnaround for the junior and intermediate teams.

QuoteFri 7th Oct 22
Stewartstown Harps(---)v(---)Strabane Sigersons
Junior Championship Semi-final
O'Neills Healy Park, Omagh 6:45 PM

Killeeshil St Mary's(---)v(---)Galbally Pearses
Intermediate Championship Semi-final
O'Neills Healy Park, Omagh 8:15 PM

Sat 8th Oct 22

Derrytresk Fir an Chnoic(---)v(---)Achadh Lú Uí Néill
Mullaghmoyle Park, Stewartstown 7:00 PM

Sun 9th Oct 22

An Eaglais, Naomh Pádraig(---)v(---)Edendork St Malachy's
Intermediate Championship Semi-Final
Páirc An tAthair Uí Conghalaigh 7:00 PM

Tyronechampionship

Any truth in Galbally having to change and warm up in augher yesterday? Surely there was a more suitable venue in the county that could host a double header.

Under Lights

Galbally warmed up in St Pats park Omagh before the game against Pomeroy in Killyclogher also. I believe their management use it as a way for the team to remain focused whenever there is a double header. So far so good. Everyone will be at it next year.

Friday evening will be their first evening fixture so don't know what they will have planned this time

Eener

Quote from: clarshack on October 01, 2022, 09:45:11 PM
Quote from: WT4E on October 01, 2022, 09:27:58 PM
Quote from: sam03/05 on October 01, 2022, 08:20:50 PM
They are starting to produce county minors as had been a long tradition, most of their teams at underage are playing in grade 1 and have been the last couple of years. They also have B teams in most age groups and have players playing at schools level  - so I'd say they could come strong again at some stage.

Yeah only a matter of years b4 they land the O'Neill cup lol

Cookstown tradionally got handy minor slots.they have one or two decent minors. The lad mcelhatton is talented but has an eye on soccer I hear. One swallow.

And let's not start on the 'B' team stuff again. It was some tanking they handed out today to win it.

that was some hiding they handed out alright. was in Cookstown yesterday and overheard a guy telling another man about how his son was drafted from the A squad to play for the B team.

You just happen to over hear. That's hilarious.
When you signed up to this forum you agreed you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate.
Try sticking by that!

Quote from: Eener on October 03, 2022, 10:54:39 AM
Quote from: clarshack on October 01, 2022, 09:45:11 PM
Quote from: WT4E on October 01, 2022, 09:27:58 PM
Quote from: sam03/05 on October 01, 2022, 08:20:50 PM
They are starting to produce county minors as had been a long tradition, most of their teams at underage are playing in grade 1 and have been the last couple of years. They also have B teams in most age groups and have players playing at schools level  - so I'd say they could come strong again at some stage.

Yeah only a matter of years b4 they land the O'Neill cup lol

Cookstown tradionally got handy minor slots.they have one or two decent minors. The lad mcelhatton is talented but has an eye on soccer I hear. One swallow.

And let's not start on the 'B' team stuff again. It was some tanking they handed out today to win it.

that was some hiding they handed out alright. was in Cookstown yesterday and overheard a guy telling another man about how his son was drafted from the A squad to play for the B team.

You just happen to over hear. That's hilarious.
When you signed up to this forum you agreed you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate.
Try sticking by that!

Try not to cry

bogball88

Quote from: Under Lights on September 30, 2022, 10:09:57 PM
Quote from: Mikhailov on September 30, 2022, 09:50:39 PM
Under Lights...what happened Augher

You were talking them up here a few months ago - surely they would have expected to beat Derrytresk but the men from the hill are a renowned championship outfit.

Im not sure I talked Augher up but thought they would be in last four. Was expecting it to be the four teams that came down from D2. Hopefully Fintona can also cause upset tomorrow as they are everyone's second team now.
As we have seen in this championship to date goals win games. Terrible game in terrible conditions has to be said.

Killeeshil with a huge win also to move into the last four. Weather going to be a real factor going forward
LOL when did this come about?

bogball88

Quote from: bogball88 on September 17, 2022, 10:24:47 AM
Quote from: Under Lights on September 17, 2022, 08:57:13 AM
Seems to be some questions about the eligibility of one of the Beragh players in last nights championship game
Beragh appealed against the Postman's ineligibility and won said appeal as far as I am aware
The Postman was deemed to be ineligible for the game against Edendork at the weekend, a mistake had been made by Ulster which deemed his eligible for Newtown game. Not that it had a bearing on either of these 2 games

LeoMc

Quote from: Under Lights on October 03, 2022, 06:36:44 AM
Quick turnaround for the junior and intermediate teams.

QuoteFri 7th Oct 22
Stewartstown Harps(---)v(---)Strabane Sigersons
O'Neills Healy Park, Omagh 6:45 PM

Killeeshil St Mary's(---)v(---)Galbally Pearses
Intermediate Championship Semi-final
O'Neills Healy Park, Omagh 8:15 PM

Sat 8th Oct 22

Derrytresk Fir an Chnoic(---)v(---)Achadh Lú Uí Néill
Mullaghmoyle Park, Stewartstown 7:00 PM

Sun 9th Oct 22

An Eaglais, Naomh Pádraig(---)v(---)Edendork St Malachy's
Intermediate Championship Semi-Final
Páirc An tAthair Uí Conghalaigh 7:00 PM
Pairc An tArthair Ui Conghalaigh?

Under Lights

Dungannon hurling ground?

Tight turnaround for the Galbally ones, played yesterday and back out Friday night.

WT4E

Quote from: Under Lights on October 03, 2022, 02:03:09 PM
Dungannon hurling ground?

Tight turnaround for the Galbally ones, played yesterday and back out Friday night.

Yesterday was a training match!