Meath vs Dublin - Leinster final - the day before the fair.

Started by thejuice, June 09, 2019, 11:42:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

It's still described as a competition on wikipedia

"The Leinster Senior Football Championship (sponsored by Toyota, Ulster Bank, Vodafone) is the premier "knockout" competition in the game of Gaelic football played in the province of Leinster in Ireland"

thejuice

I wonder what Toyota, Ulster Bank and Vodafone think of "the product".
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

seafoid

Quote from: thejuice on June 28, 2019, 01:28:50 PM
I wonder what Toyota, Ulster Bank and Vodafone think of "the product".
I was thinking exactly the same thing
Why would you want to be associated with it ? 

thejuice

Although they could have pulled out already I imagine so there must be something in it. There's enough eyes and ears on it still even if it's not in the best light.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

seafoid

Quote from: thejuice on June 28, 2019, 01:48:10 PM
Although they could have pulled out already I imagine so there must be something in it. There's enough eyes and ears on it still even if it's not in the best light.
But for how much longer ?
If public opinion turned on the GAA over the state of competition no company would hang around

Hound

Quote from: seafoid on June 27, 2019, 11:56:50 AM
Quote from: Hound on June 26, 2019, 01:00:26 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 26, 2019, 11:31:01 AM

The impact of this on the senior inter-county championship is, bluntly, a secondary consideration unless there is a revenue meltdown and although last year's football gates were down, they were offset by the rise in hurling figures"

Quote from: Rossfan on June 26, 2019, 11:39:04 AM
So it's fck the rest of us...... >:(

I know nobody has any interest in the this, but I'll keep saying it.

To date, the Games Development Funding has had no affect on Dublin winning 6 All Irelands and 14 out of 15 Leinsters. All the players involved were already in the system and beyond the reach of GPOs and the development funds.

Dublin dominating Leinster isn't unique. There have been other cycles when rest of Leinster weren't great. Dublin won 9 out of 12 Leinsters in the 70s and 80s, when Heffo got them fit and organised. And that might have been 12 out of 12 but for Eugene McGee  ;)
I genuinely think Kildare especially will be challenging Dublin soon (they should very soon have a strong, deep panel. They need one or two players to also become the best in the country in their position. )

If the games development funds are to have any impact on the Dublin senior intercounty team, it'll be future teams. So beware!
(Although whether there'll be that many talented lads who only went to the GAA because of the GPO, remains to be seen).

Do you honestly believe that, Hound?

manfromdelmonte
"Dubs skill level is much higher than most teams
Kick with both feet, pass off either hand, step off either foot
Plus maximise every advantage going - 3/4 steps extra while bouncing the ball, cutting in front of chasing player while soloing or running, setting screens to get space to shoot.
All highly coachable"

Just a freak of nature, is it ?
Of course not. Practice, practice, practice. Same as any two footed player in any county.
Absolutely zero to do with GPOs.

Why are Mayo players so much better than Leitrim players? Do they work harder? Beat them every single year, bar the very very rare miracle every 30 years or so. Maybe secret GPOs is the answer.

The GPOs do not train any players once they are on an underage team, and they go on an underage team from the age of 7.  My son got to minor with having one proper session with a GPO after his trainer at U13 left and they were a week finding a replacement. A parent. As with every other team. He had PE lesson at school a few times a year, where it's totally focused on inclusivity so making sure the weakest can participate.

But listen, you's don't give a shit about what the GPOs actually do. You prefer to live with the myth. So good luck to the whingers, I've explained it about 100 times.

The real advantages are population, more players, more parents, more volunteers, everyone living in the county, Croke Park, sponsorship.

seafoid

Quote from: Hound on June 30, 2019, 06:18:11 AM
Quote from: seafoid on June 27, 2019, 11:56:50 AM
Quote from: Hound on June 26, 2019, 01:00:26 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 26, 2019, 11:31:01 AM

The impact of this on the senior inter-county championship is, bluntly, a secondary consideration unless there is a revenue meltdown and although last year's football gates were down, they were offset by the rise in hurling figures"

Quote from: Rossfan on June 26, 2019, 11:39:04 AM
So it's fck the rest of us...... >:(

I know nobody has any interest in the this, but I'll keep saying it.

To date, the Games Development Funding has had no affect on Dublin winning 6 All Irelands and 14 out of 15 Leinsters. All the players involved were already in the system and beyond the reach of GPOs and the development funds.

Dublin dominating Leinster isn't unique. There have been other cycles when rest of Leinster weren't great. Dublin won 9 out of 12 Leinsters in the 70s and 80s, when Heffo got them fit and organised. And that might have been 12 out of 12 but for Eugene McGee  ;)
I genuinely think Kildare especially will be challenging Dublin soon (they should very soon have a strong, deep panel. They need one or two players to also become the best in the country in their position. )

If the games development funds are to have any impact on the Dublin senior intercounty team, it'll be future teams. So beware!
(Although whether there'll be that many talented lads who only went to the GAA because of the GPO, remains to be seen).

Do you honestly believe that, Hound?

manfromdelmonte
"Dubs skill level is much higher than most teams
Kick with both feet, pass off either hand, step off either foot
Plus maximise every advantage going - 3/4 steps extra while bouncing the ball, cutting in front of chasing player while soloing or running, setting screens to get space to shoot.
All highly coachable"

Just a freak of nature, is it ?
Of course not. Practice, practice, practice. Same as any two footed player in any county.
Absolutely zero to do with GPOs.

Why are Mayo players so much better than Leitrim players? Do they work harder? Beat them every single year, bar the very very rare miracle every 30 years or so. Maybe secret GPOs is the answer.

The GPOs do not train any players once they are on an underage team, and they go on an underage team from the age of 7.  My son got to minor with having one proper session with a GPO after his trainer at U13 left and they were a week finding a replacement. A parent. As with every other team. He had PE lesson at school a few times a year, where it's totally focused on inclusivity so making sure the weakest can participate.

But listen, you's don't give a shit about what the GPOs actually do. You prefer to live with the myth. So good luck to the whingers, I've explained it about 100 times.

The real advantages are population, more players, more parents, more volunteers, everyone living in the county, Croke Park, sponsorship.

https://youtu.be/AyifuNC0MT8
Or else disingenuous...

I was looking at a  video of Antrim hurling . The cross bar challenge. 17 and 18 year olds
Only 2 of them managed it. Everyone had a different way of connecting with the ball and follow through. So the challenge was like a random walk process.

https://youtu.be/a0--UZR3Euk

Professional coaching  à la Dublin would have had those players coached throughly in the core skills from maybe age 10 so that by 14 they would be able to hit the crossbar 1 in 4 times for example. Same as a very good tennis coach. Every shot has a process that must be followed. How you stand, how far back the swing goes, how high the ball is thrown, where the hurl connects and the follow through .

Antrim hurlers pick from maybe 6 clubs. Imagine if everyone in the 6 counties got professional  coaching in the basics a la Dublin. Forget about religion. The under 17 team  would not just be picked from 6 Antrim clubs. It would have the best technical players from everywhere in NI , which has a similar population to Dublin btw

This hypothetical team would hammer the shite out of the team in the video .

This is the GAA's huge problem. What does it want Gaelic football to be? The undisputed heavyweight sport in Dublin or competitive across the country?

If Dublin is given the professional  coaching  treatment the county system no longer works.
Under haphazard coaching it doesn't matter how big Dublin is. Only the naturally talented will come through with a lower skill level .

Under professional  coaching where everyone is coached thoroughly in the skills it really does matter how big Dublin is . The technically superior will emerge with consistently higher skill levels . The pool of eligible players will be much bigger. Kildare and Meath are still on haphazard coaching . The Leinster Championship collapses as a spectacle. Even if Kildare and Meath were on professional coaching they have much smaller populations than Dublin. So they can't win.

There is no way to have a competitive Leinster championship under the county system by professionalising coaching .