Ulster Club Hurling Championships

Started by Lecale2, October 08, 2007, 01:08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

I was only messing milltown. I can see the principle in the argument for moving it to another venue but can you see Ballycran looking to change venues after they way the played yesterday in Casement? I don't think so.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

bredaghgael

Bredagh's JHC Semi-final is now in Maghera at 3.30pm

johnneycool

Quote from: theskull1 on October 15, 2007, 03:15:42 PM
I was only messing milltown. I can see the principle in the argument for moving it to another venue but can you see Ballycran looking to change venues after they way the played yesterday in Casement? I don't think so.

If they (Ballycran) requested a move to Portaferry which is a horse of a pitch as well, would Dunloy object?

Colonel,
          Have you requested a different pitch yet?

theskull1

A pretty poor horse of a pitch (in the summer anyway). Hard as the road and not a great surface either

In all honesty I think they would object....similar to setanta (if they had to travel to corrigan for example). 10-15 minutes down the road for ballycran men against nearly two (on a coach) for Dunloy. I know its a bit like the dubs playing in croke park but casement has the reputation from an ulster hurling perspective of being "thee" venue. It's a half way house and anybody who couldn't play hurling on casement shouldn't hurl at all. I can see both sides

johnneycool

Quote from: theskull1 on October 15, 2007, 04:02:54 PM
A pretty poor horse of a pitch (in the summer anyway). Hard as the road and not a great surface either

In all honesty I think they would object....similar to setanta (if they had to travel to corrigan for example). 10-15 minutes down the road for ballycran men against nearly two (on a coach) for Dunloy. I know its a bit like the dubs playing in croke park but casement has the reputation from an ulster hurling perspective of being "thee" venue. It's a half way house and anybody who couldn't play hurling on casement shouldn't hurl at all. I can see both sides

Christ you'd go a fair way around the country to get a better surface than Portaferry's pitch. Granted that Casement is a good surface most of the time but to be honest the surface isn't the reason the Ulster council goes with Casement as I've played on it many's a time when it's either in gutters or a good few inches of sand on it and even one year when Casement was unavailable we played in Corrigan and it was a bog against Antrim opposition. As for your travelling argument I could suggest that Rossa had a huge advantage when they were able to walk to Casement as opposed to us travelling for an hour plus on a coach. Sure didn't Portaferry end up playing Dunloy up in Loughgeile once was Casement was unplayable.

As for Casement being 'thee' venue it used to be the case up to and including 1989 that the final was on a home and away type basis and all of a sudden Casement was the defacto home of Ulster hurling.

I just think it's a huge advantage to Antrim teams, club and county to have Ulster finals there all the time and you'll not convince me otherwise not matter how hard you try.

slow corner back

It depends on the antrim team in question Johnny, I know some of our players, Armoy, were surprised at the bounce and the speed of the ball at Casement a couple of weeks back, it was the first time we have played there in seven years.

johnneycool

Quote from: slow corner back on October 15, 2007, 04:43:27 PM
It depends on the antrim team in question Johnny, I know some of our players, Armoy, were surprised at the bounce and the speed of the ball at Casement a couple of weeks back, it was the first time we have played there in seven years.

I'm sure for a lot of the Ballycran lads it was their first time too.

theskull1

Quote from: johnneycool on October 15, 2007, 04:32:23 PM

Christ you'd go a fair way around the country to get a better surface than Portaferry's pitch.

I just think it's a huge advantage to Antrim teams, club and county to have Ulster finals there all the time and you'll not convince me otherwise not matter how hard you try.

I can't remember it being a good surface. Hard and bumpy in the dry summer months (what year was that again?)  ;). I bow to your greater knowledge though

You have a fair point so I'll not try and convince you, but I still say that Ballycran would take more convincing than me at the minute and will be happy enough with Casement this Sunday

Colonel Cool

We are happy enough with Casement. The only alternative would probably be Newry. That's the way the Ulster Council work. Newry is a good pitch but if we are to take on the best Ulster club side of the last 15 years I'd be happy to play them in Casement. We had it for the taking on Sunday, no doubt about it. I hope we can perform as well again.
I'm not Homer Simpson. That ship has sailed. I'm "Colonel Cool"!

theskull1

"Happy enough"  :D

You wouldn't want it anywhere else in Ireland Colonel after the way youse played last Sunday. It's alright...... you don't have to tell me. Just PM Johnny

milltown row

having played at casement this year in the mighty south antrim competition, i found it was in great condition.

but i'd still feel pissed off at having to go back. is McKenna park not the county ground for Down in hurling? Crossmaglen have been playing the county Championship finals at their own ground for the last few years, again i find this unfair. wont be at the match this sunday again as we have been fixed with a game against Cushendall in the league.

can't see them turning up with all the internal problems they are having ;)

Whitehair

Lecale did Danny Hughes break his collarbone last week in training?

Hurling addict

Ballycran set for a golden period of dominance
Atlast it is coming true the golden period of Ballycran is beginning.They outplayed Dunloy, will beat them in the replay and give the all-ireland a real go.
There is nothing surprising about this they are a bunch of committed skilful players who just live and breath for hurling.They have the material in Ballycran , a very well organised youth policy from Paddy Dorrian at the early stages right up to Dermot O'Prey and the rest.Hurling is everything to these people .
The players taking a few examples are just hurling mad Sean O Aonghuis ,Conor Woods (possibly the best hurler in Ulster and son of the great Dermot), James Coyle ( what a pedigree) ,Colm Mc MANUS , Gary Savage( need we tell anyone of him)Paddy Hughes( from the great hurling family) , his cousin Gregory , Brendan Mc Gourty and all of them i could list.It is no surprise to anyone in the Ards that these players took Casement by storm.They live for it and that is why we could be looking at a very long period of dominance.
So don't be surprised anymore the secret is out Ballycran are back better than they ever were.
So get to Casement and watch these guys they are going to put the pride back in Ulster hurling.Everyone of them are a credit to their families and their club.So go watch them and you'll see what i mean - these are warriors (manly disciplined men) who never give up and work , work, hook , block, run, and more...
BAILE CRANN ABU!!

NAG

Hurling Addict?

Saw this posted on the Hoganstand Down page.

Are you seriously thinking that you will give the All Ireland a good go?

My friend I think you need to take a closer look at Dunloy before you start booking hotels in febuary. Firstly my point is that you played very well in the first game and Dunloy were dreadful. Secondly Dunloy will have learned your team and your tactics from the first game and will adjust their team and tactics accordingly.

IMO you were a suprise package to not only Down hurling but to the whole of Ulster uncluding Dunloy. I would say if you asked most of the Dunloy team to name five of your players before sunday they would have struggled were most of your lads could have picked the Dunloy team.

Im not saying that you wont beat them on sunday, but if I was you I wouldnt be mouthing off like that just yet. If you back someone into a corner for long enough the only way they are going to come out is fighting and that is what I expect from Dunloy this sunday, so I hope you are prepared.

They might need to be warriors!

Jiriki

I'd love to see Ballycran win... but I think hurling addict is overcooking it there. Dunloy are a damn fine side. And to ignore Kevin Lynch's is silly. Dungiven have a side full of big men that hit hard and hurl well. Whoever gets through to the final won't get it easy.