All Ireland Hurling Championship 2013

Started by AZOffaly, April 30, 2013, 04:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CorkMan

The Cork Senior Hurling team to play Dublin in Sunday's All-Ireland Semi-Final at 3.30pm in Croke Park will line out as follows:

1. Anthony Nash
               Kanturk

2. Stephen McDonnell   3. Shane O'Neill         4. Conor O'Sullivan   
Glen Rovers          Bishopstown               Sarsfields   

5. Tom Kenny            6. Christopher Joyce         7. William Egan
Grenagh               Na Piarsaigh                       Kilbrin

8. Lorcan Mc Loughlin         9. Daniel Kearney
      Kanturk                Sarsfields
10. Seamus Harnedy         11. Jamie Coughlan         12. Pa Cronin   
St. Ita's                          Newtownshandrum              Bishopstown

13. Luke O'Farrell       14. Patrick Horgan       15. Conor Lehane   
Midleton               Glen Rovers                Midleton

AZOffaly

Quote from: fearglasmor on August 09, 2013, 01:58:47 PM

From Joe Dooley on the RTE website.

QuoteIn my time as Offaly Manager, our mantra always was that we would be as well prepared as we could be to take advantage of any dip in form by Kilkenny who were playing at a different level.

Am I being naive or is this attitude a recipe for perennial failure. At any level the first thing you need is self belief but if you start off by believing the oppostition play at a different level then you are at nothing.

I would have thought the mantra should always be "we are every bit as good as those fuggers". Even if its not true, believing it will generate an extra  ?% of performance.

I think you are right, and the performances reflected that attitude. We're not good enough to beat these lads if they play well. And then when they did play well, Offaly fell away and took a hiding.

deiseach

Am I being naive or is this attitude a recipe for perennial failure. At any level the first thing you need is self belief but if you start off by believing the oppostition play at a different level then you are at nothing.

I would have thought the mantra should always be "we are every bit as good as those fuggers". Even if its not true, believing it will generate an extra  ?% of performance.

I'm dubious about the idea that lying to yourself is a recipe for success. Besides, if everyone thought that way, wouldn't it all balance out?

Franko

From Joe Dooley on the RTE website.

QuoteIn my time as Offaly Manager, our mantra always was that we would be as well prepared as we could be to take advantage of any dip in form by Kilkenny who were playing at a different level.

I admire that attitude.  I've played in some teams where we've gone out to play a team who, quite simply, were better than us.  It was just a fact.  Now before the game you'd be listening to a manager rattle on about how 'we're every bit as good as these cnuts etc etc etc' and all the while my opinion of this man was dropping by second because he was spewing what everyone else in the room knew to be utter shite.  Now some days we'd have went out and won, but we all knew it was precisely for the reasons that Joe alluded to in the article.

Give me the man who calls it like it is any day and forget the psychological babble.

Asal Mor

Yeah that BS never did anything for me. I think it's ok to acknowledge that the other team is better than you man for man, but realise you can still beat them if you play clever enough. Joe's record against KK as a manager wasn't good but they were hammering better teams than Offaly too.

I played soccer with a few Americans before and although their skills weren't they thought they could beat anyone. It seemed to work for them sometimes because they genuinely believed it, but most Irish people are too realistic for that stuff.

Premier Emperor

We're 100% certain to have an all Munster All Ireland final.
How about moving it to Tom Semple's Field for a proper atmosphere and sense of occasion.

johnneycool

Quote from: Premier Emperor on August 17, 2013, 06:57:06 PM
We're 100% certain to have an all Munster All Ireland final.
How about moving it to Tom Semple's Field for a proper atmosphere and sense of occasion.

Will the final of the Tipp club championships not impose on it? They should be well run off now considering the early departure of the county seniors.

orangeman

Both teams fairly evenly matched. Bookies saying Cork slight favourites but there's not much in it.

There'll be some hunt for tickets in Clare.

The credit unions will get some rifling.

Hippobear

Quote from: orangeman on August 19, 2013, 10:31:05 AM
Both teams fairly evenly matched. Bookies saying Cork slight favourites but there's not much in it.

There'll be some hunt for tickets in Clare.

The credit unions will get some rifling.

I find it hard to understand why Cork are favorites. In recent years Clare have had more under age success, and are further down the road in their development. In the Munster Semi final this year I think Clare got caught thinking ahead to the Munster Final and weren't focused. That won't happen in the Final.