Roscommon vs. Letrim Connacht SFC QF, 18th May 2014

Started by Syferus, May 03, 2014, 04:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

Quote from: adevvabr on May 13, 2014, 09:31:39 PM
I think if Leitrim play very defensive they could cause Roscommon a few problems and make this a tight match. Roscommon looked clueless trying to break down Cavan in the first half of the league final, they also lack creativity in their half forward line and midfield. They seem very naive in how they approach the game under Evans and I'm sure Mulligan will try and match up on Niall Daly at centre back as he is a defensive liability.

However if they don't drop men back in front of the Roscommon full forward line, Kilbride and Murtagh will have a field day and it'll be a 10 point win for Roscommon.

I'll be surprised if Leitrim don't play defensive as Sean Hagan is defensive coach. Cavan played a more open game than expected in that league final very little blanket defence was seen it that game. A bit harsh on Niall Daly a lad that is still finding his feet at senior county level. If he's such defensive liability at number 6 i'd have to wonder why did Billy Morgan one of the top managers around have him starting in that position on his sigerson cup teams for a number of years.

Anyway Seanie Mac should be on Mulligan & he won't mind roaming out the field.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Syferus

Quote from: adevvabr on May 13, 2014, 10:22:04 PM
Quote from: Syferus on May 13, 2014, 09:37:36 PM
Quote from: adevvabr on May 13, 2014, 09:31:39 PM
I think if Leitrim play very defensive they could cause Roscommon a few problems and make this a tight match. Roscommon looked clueless trying to break down Cavan in the first half of the league final, they also lack creativity in their half forward line and midfield. They seem very naive in how they approach the game under Evans and I'm sure Mulligan will try and match up on Niall Daly at centre back as he is a defensive liability.

However if they don't drop men back in front of the Roscommon full forward line, Kilbride and Murtagh will have a field day and it'll be a 10 point win for Roscommon.

Evans is many things but naive is not one of them. He's completely willing to be cynical when the need arises. No need for it on Sunday, though.

I think Roscommons naivety was fairly evident during the league final, not to mention last years game against Mayo when Roscommon went into a match against one of the top 3 counties in the country with no game plan. Surely that alone would qualify as naive?

The gameplan was centered on crowding the middle and trying to get the ball inside before Mayo's top-rated defence had time to swarm back iirc. It was actually working for the first 15 minutes of the match and we matched Mayo in physicality around the middle - I remember David Keenan started the day playing a stormer hoovering up ball - but we missed frees, Mayo pulled away, Duffy did his usually lop-sided refereeing job and our heads dropped and the game became a training match without any game-plan. It was as much a lack of belief on our part, and of course Mayo were clearly the superior team overall that day.

The next day out we pretty much matched Tyrone's blanket system and nullified them in a way few teams did last year, Evans just just about every call right that day apart from maybe not introducing Senan earlier.

He's as prone to brain farts as any manager but he has shown himself to be adaptable and he doesn't simply blindly line up the same in each game (a trick our U21 management seems to have missed). I want to see how he'll set us up against Mayo or a similar level of opponent this year, if people think we're just some sort of purist, wide open attacking team I think they'll be surprised.

At least I hope they will be.

Rossfan

Quote from: Syferus on May 13, 2014, 11:02:32 PM

He's as prone to brain farts as any manager
More Syfínfish  :-[
If we're as bad as advebar says you'd wonder if there's any point us turning up at all. Also wonder how such a bad team bet Cavan in that Croke Park game. :P
We know well we have problems from 2-9 but Layhtrum will hardly be the lads to exploit that enough to win.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Rossfan

Announced Team :-
1. Darren O'Malley (Michael Glaveys)

2. Seánie McDermott (Western Gaels)
3. Niall Carty (C) (Padraig Pearses)
4. Neil Collins (Castlerea St. Kevins

5. David Keenan (St. Barrys)
6. Niall Daly (Padraig Pearses)
7. Ciarán Cafferkey (Western Gaels)

8. Cathal Shine (Clann na nGael)
9. Kevin Higgins (Western Gaels)

10. David O'Gara (Roscommon Gaels)
11. Donie Shine (Clann na nGael)
12. Ronan Stack (St. Brigids)

13. Senan Kilbride (St. Brigids)
14. Cathal Cregg (Western Gaels)
15. Ciaráin Murtagh (St. Faithleachs)

PaoloRossi

Quote from: Rossfan on May 14, 2014, 12:56:25 PM

Surprised Enda Smith and Diarmuid Murtagh haven't made the starting XV.

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on May 14, 2014, 12:56:25 PM

Going this route in a championship game is a surprise. Conor Daly is injured, though.

Shrewdness

Maybe the U-21's are paying for not turning up for senior training the day after losing the u-21 final, as was posted here by someone at the time. No doubt, there's great joy in Leitrim to hear that Diarmuid Murtagh isn't starting..but i'll guarantee you that before Leitrim are beaten on Sunday, we'll need him.

Syferus

Quote from: Shrewdness on May 14, 2014, 03:24:56 PM
Maybe the U-21's are paying for not turning up for senior training the day after losing the u-21 final, as was posted here by someone at the time. No doubt, there's great joy in Leitrim to hear that Diarmuid Murtagh isn't starting..but i'll guarantee you that before Leitrim are beaten on Sunday, we'll need him.

I think the big worry in that regard is if we beat Leitrim handy enough and look good doing it. That would incline Evans not to name the U21s against Mayo, which would be a mistake. Stackie and the older Murt are talented lads in their own rights and have more than enough to give Leitrim plenty of headaches.

Rossfan

I'm sure Johneen knows what he's at but no doubt he'll read your posts (IF we bate Layhtrum) to make sure he get's it right the next day.
He's fairly praising the U21 lads in the Herald and I suspect he'll have the 2 fit lads Enda and Diarmuid on at some stage. Conor Daly isn't fit and Donie Smith probably needs a bit of TLC. Fintan Kelly's injured, Corcoran has just been elevated to the panel while Nally's not of the required standard.

ross4life

Evans more or less going with what was used in league final but this time with more options on the bench. Looking at the Leitrim team they are going defensive as expected both McWeeneys for example are defenders not forwards.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

45GoneShort

Leitrim are going to line up in a very defensive mode next Sunday. 

1. Cathal McCrann Gortletteragh
2. Barry Prior Aughawillan
3. Donal Wrynn Fenagh St Caillins
4. Paddy Maguire Glencar Manorhamilton
5. Wayne McKeon Ballinamore Seán O'Heslin's
6. Gary Reynolds Carrigallen
7. Paul Brennan Melvin Gaels
8. Darren Sweeney Glencar Manorhamilton
9. Damian Moran Bornacoola
10. Kevin Conlon St Patrick's Dromahair
11. Robert Lowe St Mary's Kiltoghert
12. Barry McWeeney Aughnasheelin
13. Emlyn Mulligan (Captain) St Brigids
14. James Glancy Glencar Manorhamilton
15. Sean McWeeney Aughnasheelin

http://www.leitrimobserver.ie/sport/gaelic-games/mcweeney-brothers-start-for-leitrim-1-6059952

Both McWeeneys will act as extra defenders with Sean probably assisting on the breakaway attack.  It's a bit over the top as it will allow Roscommon to double up on Mulligan and with it any hope of really threatening the Rossies on the scoreboard.    Robbie Lowe has had a poor League by his standards but will need him at his best if he's going to carry the workload in the forwards.  Won't be too surprised to see Ray Cox and Conor Beirne sprung from the bench if the game is showing any sign of getting away from us in the opening half.  Cox has a great linkup with Mulligan and with the potential for large open gaps of space in our forward area this would be ideal for Cox's fast running game.

If we're to pull off a win it won't be pretty but any win over the Rossies will be celebrated regardless of the means!

larryin89

Will be hoping the Ross win this one.

Nothing like beating them in the Hyde when they think they have a chance.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Rossfan

So that's ye're ambition for this year then?
More realistic and less painful for ye than going up to Croker full of sh high hopes..... :D :D

Farrandeelin

I remember the last time Mayo scraped by Leitrim back in 06 in Carrick, this fella in a Leitrim jersey - I don't know if he was drunk but he proceeded to sing bellow at the top of his voice 'Oh I'd rather be a Paki than a Rossie'. I didn't know what to make of him to be honest. Moral of the story...are Roscommon hated that much by Leitrim? Or only this fella?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Syferus

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 14, 2014, 10:57:13 PM
I remember the last time Mayo scraped by Leitrim back in 06 in Carrick, this fella in a Leitrim jersey - I don't know if he was drunk but he proceeded to sing bellow at the top of his voice 'Oh I'd rather be a Paki than a Rossie'. I didn't know what to make of him to be honest. Moral of the story...are Roscommon hated that much by Leitrim? Or only this fella?

I don't think people outside Roscommon and Leitrim really know how intense the rivalry is. I guess Leitrim see us as easier pickings than Mayo or Galway and always fancy their chances when they play us. The fact so much of the population of Leitrim are crowded around Carrick on the Roscommon border obviously contributes. Roscommon people would be much more concerned with Mayo and that probably winds them up even more.

I've heard more wind-up chants directed at Roscommon players in matches against Leitrim than I can count. Poor Geoffrey Claffey got the classic GEOFF.. REY.. GEOFF.. REY.. chant the last time we rolled up to Carrick in the championship. Some half-naked Leitrim man ran on the field in the torrential rain too. The stewards couldn't catch him.

Absolutely great buzz at all the Roscommon-Leitrim games, be it FBD, minor or U21. Alongside Mayo-Galway and Roscommon-Mayo it'd have to be the most passionate of the Connacht rivalry games, and that's saying something. The best way to begin any championship for Roscommon is to bate the heads off Leitrim. Tis grand.