Irish Dancing

Started by Itchy, December 03, 2017, 10:46:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

My sister in law has spent a minor fortune on Irish Dancing. I used to like the whole romance of it and the Irishness of it. But jez, the constant cost and time! Weekends, Days, evenings and late nights eaten up with it. And for what - a Plastic Cup or a €2 medal?

The better you get the more money it costs you. Extra lessons, Hotels, Dresses, Entry fee costs. I felt bad turning my back on it. But it was one of the wisest decisions. There is a lack of comradely, as everyone is competing against each other.  Time and money we saved is was invested on Music (learning a instrument(s)), Sport (Football, Soccer and Hurling) and Leisure time (going to the beach, day excursions, etc).

Money better spent!

Footnote: I also noticed that ''Good looking'' Girls tended to win over the more plain Janes. I have two nieces who fell into this Category, where the plain Jane was a better Dancer but never did as well as her better looking sister. 

Itchy

Quote from: hardstation on December 03, 2017, 08:26:13 PM
The two "sides" always made me laugh. The venom with which people say "she dances for the other side" is fantastic. Some young girl with ginger ringlets and a sequenced Celtic swan stitched down the back of her velvet dress finds herself embroiled in a vicious political conflict.

Class.

Sorry lad you've completely lost me. What two sides?

ONeill

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 03, 2017, 12:38:11 PM
I always thought there'd be a great parody kinda like the Blades of Glory type movie!!

Sounds a runner that. Must get her started. Wigs and Reels.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Itchy

Quote from: hardstation on December 03, 2017, 09:33:19 PM
Coimisiún v Comhdháil of course.

You'd think when the rebels split they would've changed some of the stupid crap

The Gs Man

My daughter is 14 and has been at Irish dancing since she was 8.

I could probably have paid off my mortgage by now if we'd have told her 'no' at the start.

But she loves it. So whadda ye do?
Keep 'er lit

Milltown Row2

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 03, 2017, 12:38:11 PM
My daughter goes to festival dancing. Different from feis. No wigs and much plainer dresses. No makeup till they reach 12 and even then it is frowned upon. Dresses are much cheaper and there are a lot of 'hand me downs ' within the Schools. It is competitive but the youngest age group is 8s. I always thought there'd be a great parody kinda like the Blades of Glory type movie!!

Same here, less hassle and no wigs or tan or any of the other crap, my daughter started when she was 4 also, she loved it and it, she was decent enough but she stopped once she got to first year and saved us a fortune as even with the festival dancing its expensive enough and the long days away to Ballygobackwards to sit through 8 hours of other people dancing is something i wasnt prepared to do, so the wife did it!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

magpie seanie

My parents and my Dad in particular have been involved in running a Feis for most of their lives. The dancing is the biggest section and the one they're most closely involved in. I call in to help out or just to see them over the marathon weekends they put in organising. I am always horrified by the trappings like the fake tan, makeup, wigs and fluorescent coloured dresses. This has definitely got much worse in the last 25 years. Back then there would have been no wigs, and certainly no bright fluorescent pink or yellow colours - but nice celtic patterned dresses.

My folks would talk to adjudicators a lot and they always say that these additional trappings make no difference - they just look at the footwork and form etc. Trouble is none of the Mammies or the teachers believe that and no one is brave enough to break this crazy cycle. My Dad in particular would have liked my girls to get into it but they're shown no interest. I'm kinda relieved. I've no issue with the dancing - I like watching Irish dancing - but I find the associated rubbish to be akin to American beauty pageants.

trentoneill15

Load of drivel, I have 3rd cousins in USA and they send their children to Irish dancing, their great great grandparents wouldn't have Irish danced in Ireland, if you want to celebrate true Irish culture, get your children to learn the Irish language and teach them about Irish mythology not prance around in a wig.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 04, 2017, 02:50:35 PM
My parents and my Dad in particular have been involved in running a Feis for most of their lives. The dancing is the biggest section and the one they're most closely involved in. I call in to help out or just to see them over the marathon weekends they put in organising. I am always horrified by the trappings like the fake tan, makeup, wigs and fluorescent coloured dresses. This has definitely got much worse in the last 25 years. Back then there would have been no wigs, and certainly no bright fluorescent pink or yellow colours - but nice celtic patterned dresses.

My folks would talk to adjudicators a lot and they always say that these additional trappings make no difference - they just look at the footwork and form etc. Trouble is none of the Mammies or the teachers believe that and no one is brave enough to break this crazy cycle. My Dad in particular would have liked my girls to get into it but they're shown no interest. I'm kinda relieved. I've no issue with the dancing - I like watching Irish dancing - but I find the associated rubbish to be akin to American beauty pageants.
How come Sligo has two feisanna?

magpie seanie

Quote from: Owenmoresider on December 06, 2017, 01:55:46 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on December 04, 2017, 02:50:35 PM

How come Sligo has two feisanna?

Don't mention the war!!!!

A group of people wanted to present a cup to Feis Ceoil is Sligo in memory of Seamus Devins. They rejected it so the same people set up Feis Shligigh in honour of Sligo's Noble Six. My Grandfather was a founder member of Feis Shligigh.

That's my understanding of things.

trailer

I see there is a major scandal hitting Irish Dancing Circles (Circles? Is that the right word?) Allegations of competition fixing. https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2022/10/07/news/irish_dance_competition-fixing_investigation_to_focus_on_messages_shared_by_at_least_18_individuals-2852643/

I am not really surprised to be honest. The whole thing has a stink off it from the dresses to the wigs and make up on the children. I think a lot of parents and "instructors" are in for themselves and not the child. This seems to give the impression of a closed house. Imagine if this was something dominated by men. The outcry that there would be!

Dougal Maguire

They've set up a helpline for anyone who might be effected. Number is 1800-1234567-123-123
Careful now

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: trailer on October 10, 2022, 11:34:48 AM
I see there is a major scandal hitting Irish Dancing Circles (Circles? Is that the right word?) Allegations of competition fixing. https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2022/10/07/news/irish_dance_competition-fixing_investigation_to_focus_on_messages_shared_by_at_least_18_individuals-2852643/

I am not really surprised to be honest. The whole thing has a stink off it from the dresses to the wigs and make up on the children. I think a lot of parents and "instructors" are in for themselves and not the child. This seems to give the impression of a closed house. Imagine if this was something dominated by men. The outcry that there would be!

The state of the make-up and hair surely is enough to put anyone off.

quit yo jibbajabba

johnnycool

Not sure how this irish dancing works but the "sexual" favours thing, is there a lot of lesbicans involved in this or do some men get involved as well?

Excuse my ignorance..