Super 8s

Started by theticklemister, February 19, 2017, 10:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esmarelda

Quote from: tippabu on July 11, 2018, 10:32:15 AM
Quote from: Esmarelda on July 11, 2018, 10:08:11 AM
Quote from: Jayop on July 10, 2018, 09:42:57 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on July 10, 2018, 08:04:37 PM
The super 8s will be interesting this year and for the next 2-3 years but it'll become repetitive after that and we'll realise that like the qualifiers before it, it mainly benefits the stronger counties

The reason we won't get as bored with this is because unlike the Qualifiers there shouldn't be as many complete mismatches. The chaff should be out by then and you'd expect most years 6+ of the teams in the super 8 are the best teams in the country. While I certainly see an argument that this now makes Dublin not winning even more unlikely as if they do get caught they need to be beat twice or three times in one year to lose out, I actually think the reverse is more true and perhaps the teams from 3-8 might get stronger from having more huge games at this time of the year.

The reality for the last 4 years has been everyone apart from Dublin, Kerry and Mayo can look brilliant all summer but then get one game against a really top side and they're caught like rabbits in the headlights. Look at Tyrone, Monaghan and Galway last year FFS. All 3 teams looked to be going somewhere, met teams that level ahead of them and that set them back big time, who knows what damage that might have done had the Super 8 not been here as a carrot this summer. At least this time those type of teams will have their game against a really top side (generally Kerry or Dublin depending on which group they're in) and then two games against sides that they should be competitive in while being really tough games. My hope is that this process will bring on those aforementioned teams as well as Donegal, Kildare and the Rossies this year.

The big question is for the foreseeable future how likely is it that Dublin will lose two games in a Championship season of eight??
Well put. An obvious alternative view to it's all about money etc etc.

It might well be that the new structure is for all the wrong reasons, but it doesn't mean that teams won't benefit from it.

Would Tipperary have been better having three games at this stage two (?) years ago and not progressing, or winning one quarter final and losing in the semi-final as they did? Open to debate I would say.

No we wouldn't have been better due to the fact we had the bare 15 players that year and nothing on the bench who could make any sort of improvement and impact.

I'm really looking forward to the super 8s, this weekend looks brilliant in hurling and football but I would prefer earlier group stages and a longer knockout competition before the all Ireland.
Fair enough, but you understand my general point.

Jayop

Quote from: Hound on July 11, 2018, 11:25:05 AM
The big question is for the foreseeable future how likely is it that Dublin will lose two games in a Championship season of eight??
Yep, technically Dublin could even lose two games and still become All Ireland champions. But it's an odd way to look at things. Dublin don't have to be beaten twice. Like any other team, we just have to be beaten at the right time.

Look at the last time we were beaten in championship, it was a semi final v Donegal. One defeat and out.

If we top our S8 group but, say, Galway catch us in a semi this year, we'd have lost one game and be out. Whereas Galway would have lost one (or maybe even two) games and be in an All Ireland final. It works both ways!

:-X :-X

I'm an edjit. Of course yeah you only have to lose a semi or a final to get beat, so yep, one game still only required to dethrone ye.

An Fhairche Abu

Rest of the fixture times are out:

All-Ireland SFC Quarter-Final Group Stage Phase 2

Saturday, July 21
Roscommon v Donegal, Dr. Hyde Park, 5pm (Sky Sports)
Tyrone v Dublin, Healy Park Omagh, 7pm (Sky Sports)

Sunday, July 22
Kildare v Galway St. Conleth's Park, Newbridge, 2pm (RTE)
Monaghan v Kerry, St. Tiernach's Park, Clones, 4pm (RTE)

All-Ireland SFC Quarter-Final Group Stage Phase 3

Saturday, August 4:
Kerry v Kildare, Fitzgerald Stadium, Killarney, 6pm (Sky Sports)
Galway v Monaghan, Pearse Stadium, 6pm (Sky Sports)

Sunday, August 5:
Dublin v Roscommon, Croke Park, 3.30pm (RTE)
Donegal v Tyrone, MacCumhaill Park, Ballybofey 3.30pm (RTE)

Saturday of race weekend in Galway for the final match, hopefully we're still in with a shout of a SF place, the city will be hopping.

Syferus

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on July 11, 2018, 03:31:03 PM

Saturday, July 21

Sunday, July 22

Saturday, August 4:

Sunday, August 5:

Saturday of race weekend in Galway for the final match, hopefully we're still in with a shout of a SF place, the city will be hopping.

Happy enough with those. The Hyde should be buzzing of a Saturday evening for an AIQF that both teams need to win and against a team that will bring a big travelling support.

GalwayBayBoy

Already getting palpitations thinking about the traffic.

Jayop

Feck I assumed we'd be playing in Donegal on the Saturday and I had a great day planned with a nice round of golf in the morning in Sligo and then up to Ballybofey. Will have to have a rethink.

Apart from that it's all mad exciting to see them fixtures and look forward to this festival of football for a month.

Orchard park

The super 8s will be interesting this year and for the next 2-3 years but it'll become repetitive after that and we'll realise that like the qualifiers before it, it mainly benefits the stronger counties

The reason we won't get as bored with this is because unlike the Qualifiers there shouldn't be as many complete mismatches. The chaff should be out by then and you'd expect most years 6+ of the teams in the super 8 are the best teams in the country. While I certainly see an argument that this now makes Dublin not winning even more unlikely as if they do get caught they need to be beat twice or three times in one year to lose out, I actually think the reverse is more true and perhaps the teams from 3-8 might get stronger from having more huge games at this time of the year.

The reality for the last 4 years has been everyone apart from Dublin, Kerry and Mayo can look brilliant all summer but then get one game against a really top side and they're caught like rabbits in the headlights. Look at Tyrone, Monaghan and Galway last year FFS. All 3 teams looked to be going somewhere, met teams that level ahead of them and that set them back big time, who knows what damage that might have done had the Super 8 not been here as a carrot this summer. At least this time those type of teams will have their game against a really top side (generally Kerry or Dublin depending on which group they're in) and then two games against sides that they should be competitive in while being really tough games. My hope is that this process will bring on those aforementioned teams as well as Donegal, Kildare and the Rossies this year.

Time will tell but one coukd see a situation where the weakest team in each group  takes  3 tankings..... guess only one way to find out how evenly balanced the final 8 teams are

Esmarelda

Saturday, July 21

Sunday, July 22

Saturday, August 4:

Sunday, August 5:

Ah lads, where is From The Bunker, he swore it would never happen. ;D ;D

trueblue1234

Quote from: Orchard park on July 11, 2018, 03:47:57 PM

Time will tell but one coukd see a situation where the weakest team in each group  takes  3 tankings..... guess only one way to find out how evenly balanced the final 8 teams are

I can't see any of the teams taking a tanking unless from Dublin. Not convinced Kerry are as good as they are being made out (Still the next best tho). And the rest I think could beat or be beat on any given day.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Rossfan

So Dublin have made official what we all knew all along.
Croke Park IS their home ground.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Blowitupref

Quote from: Rossfan on July 11, 2018, 04:22:55 PM
That or Roscommon not wanting to cause any hassle.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Orchard park

Look st the tanking we took , 20 points a week after a draw, in lat years 1/4 final.

Without going back to the scores I feel most years 2 teams took bad pastings each year in the 1/4 final stage, guess my fear is it could happen 3 times now for a team rather than once

Jayop

Quote from: Orchard park on July 11, 2018, 04:34:16 PM
Look st the tanking we took , 20 points a week after a draw, in lat years 1/4 final.

Without going back to the scores I feel most years 2 teams took bad pastings each year in the 1/4 final stage, guess my fear is it could happen 3 times now for a team rather than once

I probably will happen once every few years that a team that's just not ready for this stage will come in and get three pastings, but the one things I'd say is that the 4 provincial winners are always unlikely to take three heavy beatings and the other two teams in each group are qualifiers that play each other first time out. Even if that score could be kept respectable and one of them takes a hiding off the two provincial winners in the group it wouldn't be too bad.

Oldira

Quote from: Blowitupref on July 11, 2018, 04:34:15 PM

In fairness if Roscommon lose their first two games and Dublin win theirs then I could see that game being moved to Parnell Park. Rossies wont travel with nothing at stake and Dublin will have qualified so no attraction for Dublin fans either. Would make sense to move to PP.

Orchard park

Quote from: Oldira on July 11, 2018, 04:47:10 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on July 11, 2018, 04:34:15 PM

In fairness if Roscommon lose their first two games and Dublin win theirs then I could see that game being moved to Parnell Park. Rossies wont travel with nothing at stake and Dublin will have qualified so no attraction for Dublin fans either. Would make sense to move to PP.

It's a double header with the u20 final sol i'd say it stays  put