Super 8s

Started by theticklemister, February 19, 2017, 10:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throw ball

Quote from: Rossfan on July 10, 2018, 06:48:11 PM
Watched the recording of Armagh/Ros.
The number of times Morrissey used the incorrect term "Soooper 8s" was ridiculous.
He also got in his " they love their football in Roscommon"
The penalty wasn't a penalty and neither was the first minute block of Cathal's shot.

Bloody Joe McQuillan. Why did he have to give us a penalty! Your keeper filled the goals and Grugan had no chance. Grimley would have scored the 45 easy and we would have cruised to super 8. Instead Roscommon got the impetus!  ;D

Whishtup

What odds would you get on neither dublin or kerry qualifying?

longballin

Quote from: Syferus on July 10, 2018, 06:16:41 PM
Anyone who spends any brain power trying to not call it the Super 8s are pedantic fools.

Roscommon man buys into last eight hype... been a long time  8)

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: longballin on July 10, 2018, 07:25:33 PM
Anyone who spends any brain power trying to not call it the Super 8s are pedantic fools.

Since 2017, maybe?

inthrough

Quote from: StephenC on July 10, 2018, 10:51:47 AM
We won one game in Division 1 and needed a lad getting sent off for not having a gum-shield in order to do that. We beat 4 teams in Ulster helped by wasteful shooting and eventual throwing in of the towel by our opposition.

There's no doubt that the team have improved but this idea that we are highly likely to finish 2nd in the group is a load of bull.
And the reason the opposition threw in the towel was.........

longballin

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 10, 2018, 07:52:35 PM
Quote from: longballin on July 10, 2018, 07:25:33 PM

Since 2017, maybe?
well done... no-one noticed ; )

macdanger2

The super 8s will be interesting this year and for the next 2-3 years but it'll become repetitive after that and we'll realise that like the qualifiers before it, it mainly benefits the stronger counties

inthrough

Quote from: macdanger2 on July 10, 2018, 08:04:37 PM
The super 8s will be interesting this year and for the next 2-3 years but it'll become repetitive after that and we'll realise that like the qualifiers before it, it mainly benefits the stronger counties
If we get good games & a bit of drama we will be as happy as sand boys & won't care less about the divide between the best & the rest which always has existed & always will.

Rossfan

Competitive sport always benefits the strongest teams because...........
As I asked long time ago -are we to bring in handicaps or what?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on July 10, 2018, 09:07:59 PM
Competitive sport always benefits the strongest teams because...........
As I asked long time ago -are we to bring in handicaps or what?

Rossfan with his usual disingenuous routine as if he hasn't been told a hundred ways to improve parity in the sport the other hundred times he made this exact same post.

Jayop

The reason we won't get as bored with this is because unlike the Qualifiers there shouldn't be as many complete mismatches. The chaff should be out by then and you'd expect most years 6+ of the teams in the super 8 are the best teams in the country. While I certainly see an argument that this now makes Dublin not winning even more unlikely as if they do get caught they need to be beat twice or three times in one year to lose out, I actually think the reverse is more true and perhaps the teams from 3-8 might get stronger from having more huge games at this time of the year.

The reality for the last 4 years has been everyone apart from Dublin, Kerry and Mayo can look brilliant all summer but then get one game against a really top side and they're caught like rabbits in the headlights. Look at Tyrone, Monaghan and Galway last year FFS. All 3 teams looked to be going somewhere, met teams that level ahead of them and that set them back big time, who knows what damage that might have done had the Super 8 not been here as a carrot this summer. At least this time those type of teams will have their game against a really top side (generally Kerry or Dublin depending on which group they're in) and then two games against sides that they should be competitive in while being really tough games. My hope is that this process will bring on those aforementioned teams as well as Donegal, Kildare and the Rossies this year.

The big question is for the foreseeable future how likely is it that Dublin will lose two games in a Championship season of eight??

Farrandeelin

Hopefully it will not be ratified for more than 3 years.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Esmarelda

Quote from: Jayop on July 10, 2018, 09:42:57 PM

The reason we won't get as bored with this is because unlike the Qualifiers there shouldn't be as many complete mismatches. The chaff should be out by then and you'd expect most years 6+ of the teams in the super 8 are the best teams in the country. While I certainly see an argument that this now makes Dublin not winning even more unlikely as if they do get caught they need to be beat twice or three times in one year to lose out, I actually think the reverse is more true and perhaps the teams from 3-8 might get stronger from having more huge games at this time of the year.

The reality for the last 4 years has been everyone apart from Dublin, Kerry and Mayo can look brilliant all summer but then get one game against a really top side and they're caught like rabbits in the headlights. Look at Tyrone, Monaghan and Galway last year FFS. All 3 teams looked to be going somewhere, met teams that level ahead of them and that set them back big time, who knows what damage that might have done had the Super 8 not been here as a carrot this summer. At least this time those type of teams will have their game against a really top side (generally Kerry or Dublin depending on which group they're in) and then two games against sides that they should be competitive in while being really tough games. My hope is that this process will bring on those aforementioned teams as well as Donegal, Kildare and the Rossies this year.

The big question is for the foreseeable future how likely is it that Dublin will lose two games in a Championship season of eight??
Well put. An obvious alternative view to it's all about money etc etc.

It might well be that the new structure is for all the wrong reasons, but it doesn't mean that teams won't benefit from it.

Would Tipperary have been better having three games at this stage two (?) years ago and not progressing, or winning one quarter final and losing in the semi-final as they did? Open to debate I would say.

tippabu

Quote from: Esmarelda on July 11, 2018, 10:08:11 AM

Well put. An obvious alternative view to it's all about money etc etc.

It might well be that the new structure is for all the wrong reasons, but it doesn't mean that teams won't benefit from it.

Would Tipperary have been better having three games at this stage two (?) years ago and not progressing, or winning one quarter final and losing in the semi-final as they did? Open to debate I would say.

No we wouldn't have been better due to the fact we had the bare 15 players that year and nothing on the bench who could make any sort of improvement and impact.

I'm really looking forward to the super 8s, this weekend looks brilliant in hurling and football but I would prefer earlier group stages and a longer knockout competition before the all Ireland.

Hound

Yep, technically Dublin could even lose two games and still become All Ireland champions. But it's an odd way to look at things. Dublin don't have to be beaten twice. Like any other team, we just have to be beaten at the right time.

Look at the last time we were beaten in championship, it was a semi final v Donegal. One defeat and out.

If we top our S8 group but, say, Galway catch us in a semi this year, we'd have lost one game and be out. Whereas Galway would have lost one (or maybe even two) games and be in an All Ireland final. It works both ways!