GAA Discussion > Local GAA Discussion

GAA in Britain

(1/169) > >>

BennyHarp:
As theres a new board for local GAA discussion, thought it would be interesting to see how many people who post on here are involved in GAA in the UK and what their opinions are of the standard and how to improve things.

I don't mean this as an insult but i'd prefer if the thread wasn't overtaken by students talking about their uni teams!

maddog:

--- Quote from: BennyHarp on June 20, 2007, 12:18:20 PM ---As theres a new board for local GAA discussion, thought it would be interesting to see how many people who post on here are involved in GAA in the UK and what their opinions are of the standard and how to improve things.

I don't mean this as an insult but i'd prefer if the thread wasn't overtaken by students talking about their uni teams!

--- End quote ---

Not involved anymore but close to the scene in Birmingham. The standard is pretty poor. Refereeing shocking. However there are many primary schools here playing with kids of all colours and creeds so maybe it will improve over the years. Top Warwickshire team at the minute is probably Sean McDermotts with the nearest and dearest rivals John Mitchells lagging well behind. My old club the emeralds folded (final straw for me was turning up for a 7s tournament with 4 men) ::) I think the standard has slipped probably because there isnt the emigration that there used to be between Ireland and England. Must get a run out to the Pairc some of these days to see whats going on.

An Gaeilgoir:
I played with Dunedin Connollys in Edinburgh for 4 years,a great club and we have had a good deal of success through out the years. Some club for the craic.

Glensman:
5iveTimes:
Still playing away I believe.
They are even having a reunion for you - http://www.seantreacys.com/news.html

I played football for St Peters in Manchester for a couple of years - great club, good craic and successful. Beat by a couple of points in the All Britain final by Tir Chonnail Gaels - back when the All Britain winners got a lash (and admittedly got hammered) against the senior club winners from home.

Then played hurling in London for Kilburn Gaels for a year - again a good club, who were on the verge of success.
Hard place to play football/hurling in is London if you don't live in the North West of the city I reckon...alot of travelling.

twotwocharlie:
just to broaden the thread sightly has anyone played in the USA recently.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version