GAA Discussion > Tyrone

Tyrone v Derry rivalry

(1/4) > >>

Fuzzman:
Back in the 90s the Tyrone v Derry rivalry was probably at its peak with a lot of high profile games including the famous 1995 semifinal where Tyrone won with 13 men, which many Tyronians would say was their favourite win over the Oakleafers. I particular enjoyed that game as I drove to it with 2 Derry friends from UUJ and another Tyrone lad, having also went to school in Derry.

1992 though was my first real memory of beginning to dislike our friendly neighbours as I travelled to Croke Park for the first time for the National league final. Seeing exciting young players like Canavan, Cush, McGleenan and Paul Donnelly join the older stalwarts from 86 like Plunkett Donaghy and Co was very exciting.
Alas Tohill and Brolly spoiled the day and it was a long trip home as one of our travelling party was a Derry cousin.

Back then I didn't realise that there were lads up along the loughshore who were also near neighbours to the Derry crew and shared our feeling back in the 90s.

I was just wondering what were people's favourite memories from those years and also worst days out against the aul enemy. 2006 was certainly a low point having won Sam the Sept before. I can also remember a bad defeat to them in Clones but not sure what year it was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRmguVTP8oY&spfreload=5

Rawhide:
Tyrone posters always mention the 95 semi won with 13 players, they remind me of the DUPs and conviently forget Derry played with 14. A great game with intensity everywhere except in the Derry team who were on a downer after what only we in Derry can do best, hit the self destruct button.
Among time since we put it up to you, was it 2008 in Omagh?

Helpline:
Was it 2008 in Omagh that Tyrone didn't score in the first half?

Localexpert:

--- Quote from: Helpline on May 04, 2017, 10:56:48 AM ---Was it 2008 in Omagh that Tyrone didn't score in the first half?

--- End quote ---

It was 2006 Tyrone didn't score.... in 2008 Tyrone won their 3rd all Ireland ;)

Tyrone Gaa:
Great days out against the old enemies but unfortunately the rivalry is currently dead along with the Armagh rivalry.  It could be argued that all counties are going through a transition period but the current crop shouldn't consider Derry or Armagh as rivals.  It couldn't be claimed as a major success scoring a victory against these sides in their current state. 

Tyrone need to look at Dublin, Mayo, Kerry and Donegal as rivals and look to avenge some of the recent defeats to these counties that stand between them and success.

Of course a victory is good for bragging rights in the pub that evening but it wouldn't stretch further than that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version