Garth Brooks and Croke Park : Boss to intervene?

Started by armaghniac, January 20, 2014, 01:13:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haranguerer

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on July 17, 2014, 01:33:19 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on July 17, 2014, 12:15:38 PM
Of course it can, if he looked too much for it. My point is that pushing for 5 shows is no more greedy than pushing for 3, and no more greedy than expanding into stadia in the first place, and no more greedy than ever stopping performing in bars. If we were all to become successful businessmen, who went bust, no doubt there'd be talk of greed having been our downfall. And this is where my analogy to earning more than necessary to sustain - where is the line? At what point does someone become too greedy? From what I can see, only when they fail, and that can only be identified in retrospect. When alls going well, greed is called ambition.

Of course I understand what you mean by externalities. Its not a hard concept. In terms of the GB shows, the 'externalities' are the same for 3, as they are for 5. 3 isnt greedy, 5 is. Go figure.
"Of course it can, if he looked too much for it." So how much is too much? You contradict yourself near immediately with "pushing for 5 shows is no more greedy than pushing for 3". A child could point out what is wrong with that statement. Is pushing for 3 concerts being greedy but not 2? What about 1? Had they "looked too much for it"?

This has been my point from the start. Its always only too much when it goes tits up, and thats when you see greed bandied about. Most of the rest of what you say is irrelevant (at best).

Interesting that the way you tell it, its only the weeknight gigs that will have the volume turned to 11, go on til 6 or 7 am, and have people urinating, throwing bottles etc, in your garden...you think the crowd is rougher on weeknights? And are the externalities for 3 greater than 2? For 2, greater than 1? See where this is going?

My point is, there may have been many things wrong with the whole process. There is no doubt that better efforts to work with the residents - and perhaps record the outcome this time - could have been made. It is only going to be damaging to shoehorn the concerts down the throats of the residents. But its nauseating to hear the crowing about 'greed' in putting on 5 concerts instead of 4/3/2/1 being the problem, because theres no more greed involved there than in many other areas of all our lives.

That third paragraph of yours is a load of bollocks by the way

ballinaman

thebigfella

We'll struggle, dead and buried now and blame game has run its course. In surprised Godwin's law hasn't been invoked yet.

Rossfan

She could make the 100.
Sure the Tyrone lads have nothing else to be posting about now. ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

thebigfella

I'll help it to 70 anyway.

Keegan back appearing in front of the Oireachtas committee tomorrow with speculation that his resignation will be called for. Hmmmm if he's forced to resign, could the unions call for strike action? Now that would be some craic  :D

armaghniac

Quote from: thebigfella on July 17, 2014, 03:53:04 PM

Keegan back appearing in front of the Oireachtas committee tomorrow with speculation that his resignation will be called for. Hmmmm if he's forced to resign, could the unions call for strike action? Now that would be some craic  :D

If the county managers union went on strike, they'd hardly get much support. The lower level unions wouldn't give a damn about Keegan, privatiser of bins, given the bin strike on the at the moment, they might well be more interested in the jobs of people in hotels etc.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

Quote from: thebigfella on July 17, 2014, 03:53:04 PM

Keegan back appearing in front of the Oireachtas committee tomorrow with speculation that his resignation will be called for.

Nothing like a biteen of political hot air posturing and bandwagon jumping.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Mayo4Sam

Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Mayo4Sam

I thought I spotted you with a pink cowboy hat on

Mayo4Sam

Under Lights

Hereiam

Has anyone got there refunds yet? No sign of mine yet

HiMucker

I heard there was a bit of uproar with people getting shafted on the exchange rate on their refunds.

Under Lights

I received mine back on 21st

143.10, VRATE 1.2660, FGN PUR FEE 0.75, N-S TRN FEE 3.00 £116.78