Garth Brooks and Croke Park : Boss to intervene?

Started by armaghniac, January 20, 2014, 01:13:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

QuoteTis True- off the back of this shambles I have decided not to even consider Croke Park as part of my world tour.

Garth Brooks, like Tyrone, fails to reach Croke park in his plans and disappoints fans. That's a double whammy for many in Philomena Begley country.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

orangeman

Quote from: johnneycool on July 15, 2014, 08:24:03 AM
Quote from: THE MIGHTY QUINN on July 15, 2014, 04:15:03 AM
Some classic stuff here. Regardless of how much you hate him, and I detest him, fact is that the country and the GAA, the organisation most of us are members of, have lost a lot of money. Reminds me of the time The Beatles Apple Boutique went bust and the Fab Four were allowed their pick of the clothes the night before it closed.  Their biographer wrote -  they gleefully went through the stuff, picking out what they wanted, as if it was coming for free. They didn't seem to appreciate for one moment that the stuff had been bought with their own money in the first place

The GAA, Aiken and Co tried a bit of brinksmanship with this and got burned and IMO rightly so. They knew they were only allowed three gigs in the year as part of the initial planning application for the redevelopment and with 1D already having played, they pushed for two, then three and the straw that broke the camels back was the additional fourth and fifth gigs.
Greed, pure and simple.
Mr McKenna needs a boot up the hole for bringing the whole association into disrepute. As much as revenue is a basic need for the GAA, we need to have some sort of boundaries of decency and ethics which are not breached in the pursuit of it.

7.3.e apparently.  ;) :)

ardtole

Quote from: johnneycool on July 15, 2014, 08:24:03 AM
Quote from: THE MIGHTY QUINN on July 15, 2014, 04:15:03 AM
Some classic stuff here. Regardless of how much you hate him, and I detest him, fact is that the country and the GAA, the organisation most of us are members of, have lost a lot of money. Reminds me of the time The Beatles Apple Boutique went bust and the Fab Four were allowed their pick of the clothes the night before it closed.  Their biographer wrote -  they gleefully went through the stuff, picking out what they wanted, as if it was coming for free. They didn't seem to appreciate for one moment that the stuff had been bought with their own money in the first place

The GAA, Aiken and Co tried a bit of brinksmanship with this and got burned and IMO rightly so. They knew they were only allowed three gigs in the year as part of the initial planning application for the redevelopment and with 1D already having played, they pushed for two, then three and the straw that broke the camels back was the additional fourth and fifth gigs.
Greed, pure and simple.
Mr McKenna needs a boot up the hole for bringing the whole association into disrepute. As much as revenue is a basic need for the GAA, we need to have some sort of boundaries of decency and ethics which are not breached in the pursuit of it.

I agree 100% with you Johnnycool.

imtommygunn

Likewise. The whole thing stinks of greed. It could have been done and dusted at 3 concerts.

Brooks looks like a complete tool out of this.

Also it is quite sinister about the guy who was paid to go to court about it by several parties.

Basically some parties got greedy and then the expectation by some has been that politicans allow the way for it go through. Why should they? (apart from brown envelopes...)

Yes it is a bad thing for Ireland as there is a significant loss of revenue but bully boys tactics can't be allowed to win.

Hopefully longer term it will have no effect other than Garth Brooks won't come back.

thebigfella

Anyone deluded enough to think this shambles damages Ireland reputation really needs to get out of the country a bit more. No one gives a fcuk apart from Garth Brooks fans and media outlets trying to sell papers.

There would be more eyebrows raised internationally if planning regulations where amended or bypassed just to allow the gigs to go ahead. The planning laws are there for the common good but we should ignore them for vested interests?

I also don't agree with the massive losses gains for the economy statement. The money that could have been spent is disposable income, the majority of it will be disposed of in other ways. So what about the money; at least we can all hold our heads up internationally as we didn't bow down to the rich yank (who threw his toy's out of the pram) for a few dollars.

rodney trotter

3 was the Quota at at a particular time not above that.   They got the go ahead for this for and then 5.I don't know the problem with the American football game is, its been played in Croke Park for the past years, college game.

westbound

I think the american football game doesn't come into it because it is a sporting event. There is no limit on the number of sporting events which can be held in croke park (because it is a sports stadium after all!) and no licence needs to be applied for afaik. The issue is with non-sporting events that need a licence/planning application.

ballinaman

Here's me listening to Garth strolling down Jones Road this morning...

deiseach

Quote from: ballinaman on July 15, 2014, 11:53:10 AM

Mayo man doing that on Jones' Road . . . nah, that's too easy!

ballinaman

Quote from: deiseach on July 15, 2014, 11:57:02 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on July 15, 2014, 11:53:10 AM

Mayo man doing that on Jones' Road . . . nah, that's too easy!
I know...IMAGINE THE DANCE when the big day does come...it'll be biblical...

Under Lights

Ticketmaster have come out of this looking very well imo. They have handled the information processing since the shambles occurred very well. I have received three emails from them to update the situation. This is the latest.

QuoteGarth Brooks Refunds - No Action Is Required By You
Dear customer,
Ticketmaster has received confirmation that none of Garth Brooks 5 dates at Croke Park will now take place.   
The ticket return process will begin on Thursday 17 July.
IMPORTANT: NO ACTION IS REQUIRED ON YOUR PART - As you purchased your ticket(s) over the phone, online or on your mobile device no action is required on your part.
On Thursday, 17 July a full refund including service charge will automatically be issued to the card used to make the purchase. Please allow 7-10 working days for the refund to reach your account.
Best wishes,
Ticketmaster Customer Services

muppet

Traditionally the big man would have got his way in Ireland.

That is what McCreevy & Harney meant by 'light touch regulation'. This wouldn't have happened on Bertie's watch, or, God forbid, CJH's.

If your are made of money and have a problem, don't worry, we will bend the law, amend the law or ignore the law, to see you right. That ideology completely screwed us before and is still prevalent.

That for me is the great disappointment of this government. We all know it was the previous one which destroyed the country, but this one has dismantled none of the weapons used in doing it.

All and sundry from Enda to the Shinners tried to 'find a way' which is a euphemism for the above ideology. Fianna Fáil tabled emergency legislation to get around the council ffs!

I am not a killjoy but for once I am delighted to see a process and a ruling upheld, even if it is inconvenient for some important people.
MWWSI 2017

armaghniac

Quote from: Under Lights on July 15, 2014, 12:16:41 PM
Ticketmaster have come out of this looking very well imo. They have handled the information processing since the shambles occurred very well. I have received three emails from them to update the situation. This is the latest.

Ticketmaster are well used to rearrangements,

But if you paid with a sterling card, will you get back what you paid  or will you get 4% less going to the bank?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

muppet

Quote from: ONeill on July 15, 2014, 12:28:11 PM
They're back on!

Off again.

Garth's boots set off the metal detector in Tenessee airport. He has been arrested for saying 'God Damn it!' to the machine. Local sources say he could get 15 years.
MWWSI 2017