Garth Brooks and Croke Park : Boss to intervene?

Started by armaghniac, January 20, 2014, 01:13:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyrone Dreamer

It sounds like this guy obrien is as big a bully in all of this as anyone. He's made a lot of false accusations about representing the residents and he's cost the economy tens of millions over a handball alley that the gaa owns.

How anyone thinks a bit of inconvenience for a small number of residents who objected should lead to this being called of is justified is mind boggling. Given the state of the country in recent years it's ridiculous to turn down the money. The government spent millions on the gathering last year and this was a far bigger tourist boost for free.

Hardststion just like a few residents it's pretty obvious your speaking from a selfish point of view on the issue because of a different issue relating to casement.

macdanger2

So when you say Enda should have gotten involved you don't know what you were referring to??

He was 100% correct to stay out of it, there's due process and should no room for politicians and sneaky backroom deals should have no part to play in this sort of thing

macdanger2

Whether it went ahead or not, politicians shouldn't be interfering in issues which are already covered by legislation. Their job is to legislate, not to do backroom deals to get around regulations a la bertie. If you can't see that, then you've lived through the last 10 years in this country and learned nothing

J OGorman

Has the word 'clusterfcuk' been used yet?

Any idea on how much Aiken / ticketmaster have pocketed in interest on ticket sales ?

Brooks pulling the plug on the other three gigs is the biggest huff I've heard of. Unreal carryon

Ye gotta feel for all those let down though.

And a very important point. Promoters and ticketmaster have been taking the hand re ticket prices and handling charges for years.

Smokin Joe

I haven't read the whole thread, so perhaps someone else has mentioned it.

Aiken Promotions should surely be liable for the costs of any non-refundable hotels for people who had tickets for the first 3 nights.  The tickets were sold "subject to license".  But as the license was granted for the first 3 nights, surely Aiken / Brooks have breached the contract and thus they should refund all out of pocket costs.

I think there should be a distinction between the first three concerts that the unilaterally cancelled, and the latter two which was refused the license.

Wildweasel74

Joe that be the way i see it to, someone read the small print on the back of their ticket to see if theres a get out of jail card there.

On another note, back to the gaelic

thewobbler

Quote from: Smokin Joe on July 08, 2014, 11:14:52 PM
I haven't read the whole thread, so perhaps someone else has mentioned it.

Aiken Promotions should surely be liable for the costs of any non-refundable hotels for people who had tickets for the first 3 nights.  The tickets were sold "subject to license".  But as the license was granted for the first 3 nights, surely Aiken / Brooks have breached the contract and thus they should refund all out of pocket costs.

I think there should be a distinction between the first three concerts that the unilaterally cancelled, and the latter two which was refused the license.
Of f**k me. Such drivel. How to make sure nobody ever puts on an event again - in event of cancellation, make sure that the promoter is liable for each and every unrelated tangent that every potential attendee can rustle up. f**king claim state,

Aiken will be losing their shirt here as it stands. But no, that's not enough for some people.

Lecale2

Not a fan of this American country & western singing guy but the whole thing's a feckin shambles and makes the country look like a feckin banana Republic yet again.

If they don't sort out the system why would anyone risk staging a major event in Dublin again when Cardiff, Manchester etc can offer certainty and a load of Irish people will travel there to spend their cash?

The system is seriously flawed when decisions are left to so late in the day, costing ordinary people thousands of £/€.

Wildweasel74

Far as i can see he had no problem playing 2 concerts at the start and should have no problem playing 3, see somewhere hes worth roughly £100 million dollars apparently, so if i was a fan i be looking more his attitude to his "children" / fans which doesn't seem to be nice

thejuice

So, people are saying its a banana republic because for once the council stuck to the rule of law, upheld it's agreements and didn't bend to private interests? Curious, given the last decade this country has been through.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

ONeill

Brooks mustn't have been all that fussed about coming over in the first place.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Captain Obvious

Dublin City Council statement in full:
"Dublin City Council is very disappointed at Aiken Promotions' decision not to proceed with the three Garth Brooks concerts that had been licensed for Croke Park.
"The City Council has sympathy for those ticket holders who purchased tickets for the performances.
"Dublin City Council hopes that Aiken Promotions will reconsider its decision. Once again, we would like to reiterate that Dublin City Council granted a licence for three concerts.

T Fearon

No one escapes blame here,particularly GAA and my old school chum Peter Aitken who both assumed that flashing euro signs would be sufficient to gain any amount of licences.Also remember the first three concerts went on sale on day one but there was a two week gap until concerts 4 and 5 went on sale,plenty of time to apply for licences instead of arrogantly assuming there wouldn't be a problem.

Don't reallly blame Brooks ( not a fan of his music and wouldn't be seen dead at his concert).The guy was flown or persuaded to fly over to announce he would be playing Croke Park,then watched as first 3 then two more concerts had sold out rapidly,then all of a sudden he's told (when the ship carrying the necessary equipment is en route to Ireland) that he can only play three.Is it any wonder he threw the head up and thinking to himself what the hell sort of a country is this.

If Jim Aitken was alive this c**k up would never have happenec

Maguire01

Quote from: T Fearon on July 09, 2014, 06:43:01 AM
No one escapes blame here,particularly GAA and my old school chum Peter Aitken who both assumed that flashing euro signs would be sufficient to gain any amount of licences.
If he was your old school chum, you'd think you'd know his name.

Under Lights