Garth Brooks and Croke Park : Boss to intervene?

Started by armaghniac, January 20, 2014, 01:13:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theticklemister

Quote from: Myles Na G. on July 08, 2014, 05:42:42 PM
Seems simple to me. GAA promised local residents no more than 3 concerts per year, then welshed on that agreement as soon as Peter Aiken waved a fat cheque under its nose. Fair play to the residents for standing up for themselves. It's tough on people who've made travel arrangements and will be out of pocket as a result. Maybe they should seek compensation from the Grab All Association?

Feck I agree with Myles!!!!!!!!!

Maguire01

Quote from: dec on July 08, 2014, 04:25:00 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on July 08, 2014, 03:57:34 PM
Fair play to him...

Dublin have made some b*lls of this

Aiken and Garth have nothing to answer for

They sold tickets for an event without finding out if they would actually be able to hold the event.
As is the case for every such outdoor event in the country.

Premier Emperor

The main trouble maker lives in Castleknock and has a vendetta against the GAA over the handball centre.

http://www.evoke.ie/croke-park-residents-protest-for-the-garth-brooks-gigs-to-go-ahead/

We want GARTH! Furious residents living near Croke Park begin a campaign for all FIVE Garth Brooks concerts to go ahead

July 7, 2014

Furious residents living near Croke Park have begun a campaign for all five Garth Brooks concerts to go ahead.

Speaking to the EVOKE.ie, the new group, Local Residents Supporting Garth Brooks, accused Castleknock resident Eamon O'Brien, chairman of the Croke Park Streets Committee, of using the concerts as part of a 'vendetta' against the GAA.

Claiming they are being used as a pawn in O'Brien's crusade, the group – who say they number over 1,600 members – staged a rally at the Leinster Hurling Final yesterday, calling for all five concerts to go ahead.
The group back mediator Kieran Mulvey's report, which recommended a €500,000 legacy fund for the area, and a commitment from the GAA that no more than three concerts in a row should ever be held in Croke Park again.

Organiser Susan Mangan, a local mother who has lived in Ballybough for generations, told the EVOKE.ie: 'The reason we started the protest is that this guy Eamon O'Brien does not represent us.

'We didn't elect him; nobody elected him. We're not killjoys in the area. We're all for the five concerts to go ahead.

'We were told by one or two people in O'Brien's "Stop the Madness" campaign to mind our own business; that this was all Clonliffe Road.

Fellow local resident Lorraine Gavin added: 'Eamon has a problem with the GAA and we're being dragged along with that.

'I don't understand why a man from Tipperary who lives in Castleknock has any interest here. If he knew the community, he wouldn't be so against the concerts.

'It's good for the local economy. I personally think he has a crusade against the GAA. Eamon doesn't represent this community.' Last weekend Mr O'Brien, a Tipperary native, admitted to this newspaper that the Croke Park Streets Committee does not necessarily represent people living in the area.

He accepted that much of his opposition to the Garth Brooks concerts is to do with a long-running dispute over a handball club at Croke Park which the GAA want to bulldoze.

Nevertheless, Dublin City Council manager Owen Keegan has refused planning permission for two of the five concerts, on July 28 and 29, following O'Brien's campaign, which stressed the negative consequences of the concerts on local residents.

Promoter Peter Aiken said a final decision will be made on the fate of the concerts today or Tuesday, but he still had hope all five would go ahead.

Yesterday Mr Aiken discussed the matter with the GAA, Lord Mayor Christy Burke, and mediator Kieran Mulvey.

Furious residents living near Croke Park have begun a campaign for all five Garth Brooks concerts to go ahead.

Local resident Sandra Reid, 44, told the EVOKE.ie 'The money that will be lost to the local economy if these concerts don't go ahead is outrageous. Eamon O'Brien doesn't even live here.

'He's living in Castleknock, for the love of God.

'I'd say go to Castleknock and look after your own community, and leave ours alone. The majority of the residents on Clonliffe Road actually don't mind the five concerts going ahead.' Mr O'Brien was not available to comment last night.

The five concerts remain unlikely to go ahead, as licence decisions under the Planning and Development Acts can't be amended or appealed.

Mr Keegan is expected to face strong criticism at today's meeting of Dublin City Council.

Sinn Féin members have threatened to use Section 140 of the Local Government Act to overturn the decision – but would require two-thirds of all councillors to back it.

Meanwhile, gardaí are continuing to investigate the potential fraud of forged signatures on the residents petition opposing the Garth Brooks concerts.

Maguire01

Quote from: theskull1 on July 08, 2014, 04:54:11 PM
Does anyone else not see this as Brooks/Aiken pressing the nuclear button in good time so as to create the requisite amount of panic to ensure he gets exactly what he wants. A very high but well calculated risk on their part I'd say.

Quote from: thewobbler on July 08, 2014, 04:48:32 PM
I have admire Garth Brooks principles here.

Man of his word.

He's a man with the power to bully to get his way
Only he hasn't got his way.

seafoid

Surely it would make more sense to have Garth Brooks concerts where the punters are and nobody is going to do the NIMBY - eg Thurles or Clones.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

laoislad

Quote from: hardstation on July 08, 2014, 06:42:37 PM
Why would he not just do 3 nights?

Apart from being a stinking greedy hoor who is throwing his toys out of the pram?
If he was that greedy he would do the 3 nights. He must be losing millions by not doing them.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

THE MIGHTY QUINN

Seems simple to me. GAA promised local residents no more than 3 concerts per year, then welshed on that agreement as soon as Peter Aiken waved a fat cheque under its nose. Fair play to the residents for standing up for themselves. It's tough on people who've made travel arrangements and will be out of pocket as a result. Maybe they should seek compensation from the Grab All Association?
I love people like you. Do you not realise that the GAA belongs to all of us? The money generated from Fat Boys concerts would have helped build changing rooms, football fields etc for cash strapped clubs. It's a disgrace that this income is being lost and it's worse that people like you have attitudes like you have

Syferus

Quote from: hardstation on July 08, 2014, 06:58:32 PM
He'd do the concerts if there were 5 but not a measly 3.

That's greedy.

He's going to announce a world tour on Thursday with many one night shows.

Grind your axe but realise you aren't correct on this one.

el_cuervo_fc

How many Garth brooks concerts does it take to upset a Garth Brooks fan? ....

None

Syferus

Quote from: hardstation on July 08, 2014, 07:05:26 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 08, 2014, 07:02:43 PM

That's greedy.

Well, I did ask the question so please do answer....

Why would he not just play 3 nights?

Clearly on principle. I'm sure he hoped it'd bang heads together to find a solution but playing to a little over half the number of people he was supposed to doesn't seem ideal for anyone, superstar musician or not. The court case against the original three dates was probably the straw that broke the camel's back. Brooks is the one that's losing the most money back not playing the three dates.

Zip Code

Quote from: hardstation on July 08, 2014, 07:05:26 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 08, 2014, 07:02:43 PM

That's greedy.

Well, I did ask the question so please do answer....

Why would he not just play 3 nights?

He was just going to play two initially.

THE MIGHTY QUINN

Quote from: hardstation on July 08, 2014, 07:08:28 PM
Quote from: THE MIGHTY QUINN on July 08, 2014, 07:02:23 PM
I love people like you. Do you not realise that the GAA belongs to all of us? The money generated from Fat Boys concerts would have helped build changing rooms, football fields etc for cash strapped clubs. It's a disgrace that this income is being lost and it's worse that people like you have attitudes like you have
On another man's wound, blood money from dirty shyster bastids at the head of our association.

Keep it.

Filth
You never disappoint. You strike me as being one of life's under achievers who spends his life wallowing in self pity and begrudging anyone who has done anything with their life

BennyHarp

Brooks has thrown the toys outta the pram and I'm glad the useless, washed up bullshit merchant has been forced to cancel the concerts. He plainly (and as turns, rightly) assumed he could pick Ireland as a country where he could peddle his shite to the culchies, make millions from people who would lap it up like only Irish people do. Oh look someone famous wants to visit - lets feckin make complete morons of ourselves to the world by turning out in droves to see a man who hasn't written a new song in 20 years and show everyone how brilliant supporters we are. No amount of money injected into the Irish economy is worth the embarrassment of it all. We have suffered enough.
That was never a square ball!!

Wildweasel74

The end of the day, any decision should have waited to see the outcome of the injunction on Thursday,  if not enforced there is no reason Aiken's cannot go ahead with 3 concerts, as they were originally happy to go with 2.

Throwing the toys out of the pram and saying its 5 or nothing say more about Brook attitude to normal fans and rakes of nothing more than a greedy bollix. I know if i band i like which i wanted to see, and was cancelled due to that attitude i kindly tell them to f**k off and don't set foot on our shores again.

Its tough on people who bought tickets for others, booked hotels they cant cancel. they alot of blame here mostly Aiken's with a fair share from Croke Park some bollix from castleknock who doesn't even live near croke park, croke park committee and possible Dublin councillors. Enough blame to go all round.

But i wouldn't beg some American cowboy to please don't cancel, if the concerts are to go ahead and subject to license which has been given does that not leave Aiken's liability open for loss incurred by fans for the first 3 nites at least.

charlieTully

brooks management and lawyers knew that it was all subject to licence, they should have honoured the agreement and played whatever shows a licence was granted for.