Garth Brooks and Croke Park : Boss to intervene?

Started by armaghniac, January 20, 2014, 01:13:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cockahoop

Quote from: Under Lights on July 08, 2014, 04:33:17 PM
Just got the first hard luck story in regards to this. A woman at works husband had a FREE WEEKEND as she was heading to Dublin for the weekend. Pizza, Xbox, DVDs, p0rn ran from computer through HDMI cable and onto the big screen- all taken from him. She has hotel booked and he may have to go to Dublin now along with her and walk about the f*ckin' zoo.

;D brillant

Canalman

This ain't over by a long shot imo.

Reckon there will be some sort of bill passed in the Dail changing the Planning temporarily with an agreement that CP hold no more concerts for a year or two.  Problem solved.

No way a city in financial crisis will turn away the revenue the concerts will raise.

theskull1

Does anyone else not see this as Brooks/Aiken pressing the nuclear button in good time so as to create the requisite amount of panic to ensure he gets exactly what he wants. A very high but well calculated risk on their part I'd say.

Quote from: thewobbler on July 08, 2014, 04:48:32 PM
I have admire Garth Brooks principles here.

Man of his word.

He's a man with the power to bully to get his way   
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

EC Unique

Quote from: theskull1 on July 08, 2014, 04:54:11 PM
Does anyone else not see this as Brooks/Aiken pressing the nuclear button in good time so as to create the requisite amount of panic to ensure he gets exactly what he wants. A very high but well calculated risk on their part I'd say.

That is exactly what I think. Don't cancel you hotels yet ye'all.....

Hereiam

Even if it does go ahead the whole shine has been taken off it. There will be people cancelling hotels and flights now as we speak.

Bingo

Quote from: Canalman on July 08, 2014, 04:53:20 PM
This ain't over by a long shot imo.

Reckon there will be some sort of bill passed in the Dail changing the Planning temporarily with an agreement that CP hold no more concerts for a year or two.  Problem solved.

No way a city in financial crisis will turn away the revenue the concerts will raise.

Think its gone past that. Refunds will have to start soon and cancellations will already have been made.

Even at that, the High court is listed for Thursday. They can't pass legislation against a ruling that they don't know about, it could deem all legisaltion redundant.

Syferus

Well done to the few residents who when jihadist on the concerts, you've fĂșcked over 400,000 people and damaged your country's reputation for a bit of noise and inconvenience on two nights.

Disaster for the GAA to boot.

balladmaker

There's no way back now once the promoter has released the statement saying that all 5 are cancelled.  They'll be tagged onto the back end Garth's world tour announcement on Thursday in some shape or form, and the scramble for tickets will begin once again. 

A very bad day for Dublin and for Ireland.

theskull1

Quote from: Syferus on July 08, 2014, 05:00:01 PM
Well done to the few residents who when jihadist on the concerts, you've fĂșcked over 400,000 people and damaged your country's reputation for a bit of noise and inconvenience on two nights.

Disaster for the GAA to boot.

Yeah and we'll get that reputation back by bowing and scraping to a washed up bullying cowboy?  :-\ There was a time that 3 nights was plenty....now all toys out of pram?

Why so I wonder?
On principle (regardless of the financial losses) whenever the idea of 5 nights was still subject to license?
Or
To bully government institutions into submission?

You've got to admit the second one sounds more plausible?

squire_in_navy_slacks

Delighted an over rated fat womble coming over to top up his pension fund ...................................... get a grip barn dancing adults

macdanger2

Quote from: theskull1 on July 08, 2014, 04:54:11 PM

Quote from: thewobbler on July 08, 2014, 04:48:32 PM
I have admire Garth Brooks principles here.

Man of his word.

He's a man with the power to bully to get his way

Agree 100% skull. Pure greed om behalf of the promoters and GB.

thebigfella

Delighted that Dublin city council (and residents) had the balls not to let the fat greedy yank and aiken promotions walk all over them. Watched You've been Trumped again last night and it's all a bit similar IMO.

By the way if you are all that concerned about the Irish economy you should all come down for the nights anyway; plenty of Irish talent and other events on which you can spend you cash on.  At least you''ll be guaranteed the money will feed back into the economy and not on burgers in Nashville  :P

theskull1

Exactly Fionntamhnach..... It would amaze you just how unprincipled people get when decisions don't suit their own ends

Rossfan

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 08, 2014, 04:44:15 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 08, 2014, 04:29:07 PM
So the oul spoiled child has thrown all the toys out of the pram.
Well Fcuk him and at least the people of North Dublin will be able to open their windows and not be assailed by a load of Country and Western caterwaulin. ;D

Ehh - the promoters pulled the plug because a resident has taken an application seeking an injunction against the 3 licensed concerts. This will be heard Thursday morning. So no wonder the promoters pulled the plug.

But by all means fire ahead and blame whoever you feel like without any reference to the facts.
All I've been hearing since the decision to allow 3 was made is that Brooks says 5 or none.
If it's due to a Court Case Thursday ( and I've seen no reports to say it is) why not wait till the Case is heard.
If I decide to seek an injunction to stop the Connacht Final will they cancel it or wait till the Case ?
Why don't you also attack the half dozen other posters who are running Brooks down for deciding to pull the plug because he didn't get his way?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Myles Na G.

Seems simple to me. GAA promised local residents no more than 3 concerts per year, then welshed on that agreement as soon as Peter Aiken waved a fat cheque under its nose. Fair play to the residents for standing up for themselves. It's tough on people who've made travel arrangements and will be out of pocket as a result. Maybe they should seek compensation from the Grab All Association?