Garth Brooks and Croke Park : Boss to intervene?

Started by armaghniac, January 20, 2014, 01:13:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bord na Mona man

The residents should have been sweetened up before the extra concert dates were sold. The 500k bung for example, or the promise of no concerts next year.  It was always likely to end in tears acting in such a presumptious manner.
While there are several chancers and scammers at the fore of these residents groups, it is a significant imposition on people to have 5 consecutive nights of concerts.

Itchy

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on July 03, 2014, 11:44:41 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on July 03, 2014, 10:35:10 PM
Nope, Garth has the hump..all 5 or none he says.

When this filters through tonight..going to be fun. We needed a new Saipan

He sounded a right knob on the news, how he really appreciates the Irish
If he did then he'd come and play his three gigs and shut his hole

No it would be better if he shut his hole forever, fullstop... And broke his fingers.

Bord na Mona man

I'm sure he's acting on the instructions of the promoters.
The threat of all 5 gigs being cancelled puts the heat on the Croke Park residents.

ballinaman

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on July 03, 2014, 11:49:13 PM

I'm sure he's acting on the instructions of the promoters.
The threat of all 5 gigs being cancelled puts the heat on the Croke Park residents.
No surrender...I'm actually on holidays for the week it's on . I'm just like the idea of giving 2 fingers to "the man".
Not done often enough in Ireland.

Wildweasel74

Promotor got all he deserved with this one, pity he take no responsibility for the mess, sorry for the fans but i think 5 nights of Brooks would be too much for anybody, not sure where the gaa pump this money to grass roots level, Don't Matter will be quick to point out it ain't Carlow, letrim, Longford or the places it should be going to and likely the Dubs lol.

Wildweasel74

The GAA isn't here to provide £50million to the economic, leave that for politicans to sort out

Wildweasel74

Alot of people looking concerts in croker are the same people which had a problem with soccer been played there for the same rental charges if not more.
I think when the GAA was formed in 1884 it was to promote Gaelic games  which it should focus on and not get sidetracked on areas to make a quick buck,
i hate it that's they say they are a amateur organisation when we paid managers, officials, trainers, just about everybody but players, cant work out how we
can be classified as a amateur organisation any more

thebigfella

It's amazing the amount of people I see giving out about orange order blocking roads, disrupting towns etc.... but god help the residents round Croke park objecting to 5 concerts in a row and the impact to them. Bundle of hypocrites in cowboy boots.

theskull1

Quote from: thebigfella on July 04, 2014, 12:13:11 AM
It's amazing the amount of people I see giving out about orange order blocking roads, disrupting towns etc.... but god help the residents round Croke park objecting to 5 concerts in a row and the impact to them. Bundle of hypocrites in cowboy boots.

Indeed...don't expect them to accept that point though
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

rrhf

THE MIGHTY QUINN

Quote from: rrhf on July 04, 2014, 06:38:55 AM
Quote from: hardstation on July 04, 2014, 12:00:31 AM
Casement residents & Croke Park residents would be fairly closely linked.
In what ways?
In that they're both a small bunch of bullies prepared to use their position to thwart and stymie plans which can benefit the many

haranguerer

In fairness if you moved in next door to an orange lodge not too many would listen to your complaints...

There has to be respect for the residents, and I can understand if its the straw that broke the camels back. All the issues should have been pre-resolved, and this can be an opportunity to attempt to resolve them. The residents are in an incredible bargaining position here, assuming that if they were to withdraw their objections, DCC could alter their decision - is that the case does anyone know?

haranguerer

Quote from: hardstation on July 04, 2014, 08:38:08 AM
Quote from: haranguerer on July 04, 2014, 08:35:09 AM
In fairness if you moved in next door to an orange lodge not too many would listen to your complaints...

If you buy a house on a "traditional Orange Route", the Parades Commission sometimes listen to your concerns. No?

A traditional orange route, and next door to the lodge, are two different things. As is people heading down your street to watch a concert, and people heading down your street roaring sectarian abuse and generally wrecking the place.

Either way, I'm advocating agreement, just saying comparing the two is ott.

Premier Emperor

Quote from: hardstation on July 04, 2014, 12:00:31 AM
Casement residents & Croke Park residents would be fairly closely linked.
Sinn Fein are lurking in the background agitating a lot of this.

haranguerer

Quote from: hardstation on July 04, 2014, 08:58:37 AM
Do the OO generally wreck the place? I'd say concert goers do a better job at that.

Also, there is an agreement here. One side is just looking to break it this time, hence the row.

I understand you are very sympathetic due to the social club situation, but you shouldnt let it cloud your senses to the extent that you latch on to stupid analogies. But to use the one you have latched onto, the OO would be more Garth Brooks, and I think its unlikely he'll p*ss in anyones garden. And I'd have much more faith in concert goers not wrecking the place, than I would those supporters that follow the parades. There is a fair bit of evidence that would support that view too.

If there is an agreement, then certainly, it should have been honoured. And if there wasn't an agreement, then there should have been .

You would think though, that people would start writing these agreements down - its been an accepted way of recording such for centuries, and would save an awful lot of hassle, in an awful lot of instances.